• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small Queen in Dade City, FL 3/8/22

Best Answer CheetoLord02 , March 8 2022 - 10:01 PM

Definitely Solenopsis invicta. I am sorry for your loss.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Offline JasperNeedsHelp - Posted March 10 2022 - 7:55 PM

JasperNeedsHelp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDade City, FL
Honestly, I'm tempted to keep her since she's my first queen, and if she's a hardy species, then I certainly would like to begin with such :') I just need to do some extra research and do as you guys have mentioned. Any good Solenopsis invicta journals I could probably try to follow maybe? Get a good idea of a proper setup?
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this
Beginner seller, intermediate keeper, long-time enthusiast! Currently keeping:
- x2 Solenopsis invicta queen w/ brood
- x3 Dorymyrmex bureni queen w/ brood
- x1 Crematogaster Emery queen
- x1 Camponotus castaneus queen w/ brood
- x1 [i]Camponotus tortuganus
queen w/ brood
- x13 [i]Camponotus floridanus
queens w/ brood

#22 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted March 10 2022 - 8:13 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Honestly, I'm tempted to keep her since she's my first queen, and if she's a hardy species, then I certainly would like to begin with such :') I just need to do some extra research and do as you guys have mentioned. Any good Solenopsis invicta journals I could probably try to follow maybe? Get a good idea of a proper setup?

Setups are very simple. BUT you will need to take a lot of precautions to prevent escape.

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#23 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 22 2022 - 12:30 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

In this case the set up would have to be checked for any flaws or parts that don't have an escape barrier...or else it's gonna be painful and that's when most would panic, knock over the entire nest, freeing them all. THEN, they would run outside with stinging fire ants in their pants yelling "HELPPPP" and the neighbors just think you've finally lost it. But anyways, other than that your fine.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users