• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis or subnitidus?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline marcel - Posted September 21 2017 - 9:21 AM

marcel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hello,

I am still not sure if my small colony is Pogonomyrmex occidentalis or subnitidus. 

The queen is pure red with hardly any noticeable color differences at her body segments, same goes for workers.

They were found near Mexico.

In size the queen is just 1 mm ( 0,039 inch) smaller than a Pogonomyrmex rugosus queen.

I already went on antwiki.org for Pogonomyrmex keys and took microscopic pictures. The only 2 species left seem to be Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. The prominent spines, possible size, mandibles, thorax, etc. point out to be one of the 2. Pogonomyrmex salina came close but has less prominent spines.

Here the pictures of a dead newborn nanitic (not one of the brood boosted ones) that did not fully color out and looks yellowish the real color is red.: 

gallery_2185_944_762436.jpg

gallery_2185_944_853906.jpg

gallery_2185_944_850693.jpg

very outstanding spines:

gallery_2185_944_3142814.jpg

gallery_2185_944_799446.jpg

Here are some pictures of the queen and her brood, she was brood boosted so the old workers have not been used for the microscopic ones, so I can't guarantee the larger workers seen there are the same species:

gallery_2185_944_1730350.jpg

gallery_2185_944_2452993.jpg

gallery_2185_944_2343707.jpg

Here is a picture in large and zoomed in of Pogonomyrmex rugosus and those mysterious queens in size comparison:

gallery_2185_944_70150.jpg

gallery_2185_944_165160.png

Edited by marcel, September 22 2017 - 6:21 AM.

#2 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 21 2017 - 10:27 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Here's that comparison from my Pogonomyrmex rugosus (top) and Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (bottom).

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#3 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted September 21 2017 - 11:57 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

Here some pics of one of my occidentalis. I think yours might be occidentalis.

35844919611_48ddcaa13c_c.jpgPogonomyrmex occidentalis by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

35844918111_036e6953fb_c.jpgPogonomyrmex occidentalis by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

35844914981_b221ea0e3b_c.jpgPogonomyrmex occidentalis by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

Edited by Kujawaorchids, September 21 2017 - 11:58 AM.

• T.C. likes this

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#4 Offline marcel - Posted September 21 2017 - 2:25 PM

marcel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

My queen looks more like the Pogonomyrmex occidentalis one unless subnitidus is red too. The subnitidus queen looks more browinsh/orange-red to me. Could be the light or so. 

How populous do both species grow in nature by the way? I am new to Pogonomyrmex, never saw a nest entrance or complete conlony of any Pogonomyrmex sp. apart from a long time ago when I travelled to California and got stung by a Pogonomyrmex worker in my finger by accident and confused it with a cut from a piece of broken glass cause the sting pain was the same feeling as a glass or razorcut. But I never saw that colony except 2 workers with 1 that stung me.

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 21 2017 - 2:39 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Near Mexico where? P. occidentalis will have an offset basal tooth.

• VoidElecent likes this

#6 Offline marcel - Posted September 21 2017 - 3:13 PM

marcel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Guys I think I am certain now that this is Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. I got also more informations now from the guy that got me this queen. They were found at Carlsbad North, New Mexico

I am now almost sure this is Pogonomyrmex occidentalis between the workers antenna is the same pattern on mine and the occidentalis. Subnitidus on the other hand differs with that pattern.

The head of my worker with marked pattern between the antenna and offset tooth visible: 

gallery_2185_944_230668.jpg

And here 1 picture from Antwiki of each of the possible species:

1. Pogonomyrmex subnitidus head with missing pattern:

http://www.antwiki.o...5721_head_1.jpg

2. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis head with same pattern:

http://www.antwiki.o...5718_head_1.jpg

Edited by marcel, September 22 2017 - 6:19 AM.

#7 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 21 2017 - 3:19 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

My queen looks more like the Pogonomyrmex occidentalis one unless subnitidus is red too. The subnitidus queen looks more browinsh/orange-red to me. Could be the light or so. 

How populous do both species grow in nature by the way? I am new to Pogonomyrmex, never saw a nest entrance or complete conlony of any Pogonomyrmex sp. apart from a long time ago when I travelled to California and got stung by a Pogonomyrmex worker in my finger by accident and confused it with a cut from a piece of broken glass cause the sting pain was the same feeling as a glass or razorcut. But I never saw that colony except 2 workers with 1 that stung me.

I'd say P. subnitidus is more orange/orange-red than just red.

The wild P. rugosus colonies I've seen are big. The same colonies I caught my queens from had hundreds sitting outside the nest entrance while hundreds more walking around carrying seeds. They walk maybe up to 50 yards away from the nest entrance and there's just workers everywhere. You actually can't go anywhere without stepping on some. 

Edited by Scrixx, September 21 2017 - 3:19 PM.

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

#8 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 21 2017 - 3:20 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

I don't think it's P. subnitidus. Yours are almost as large as P. rugosus and the color doesn't really match the P. subnitidus that I have.

#9 Offline marcel - Posted September 21 2017 - 3:28 PM

marcel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

It seems very likely to be Pogonomyrmex occidentalis now. Wow what impressive ants.

I brood boosted my Pogonomyrmex rugosus that arrived with just 2 larvae, with 2 pupae from my Pogonomyrmex (occidentalis?) colony and just 1 worker made it after hatching the other was used to identify my Pogonomyrmex. 

I heard once Pogonomyrmex has at least 1 worker or more they have a much better chance and most die because of not getting any workers. Let's see how tough it will be if my Pogonomyrmex colony grows fast I consider taking 2-3 more pupae and giving it to my rugosus as support. I did actually not know that the rugosus queen would really accept my workers but she did and the 1st worker died not by the queen but something was wrong with it.

I can't wait to see my colonies grow. I read this about Pogonomyrmex occidentalis: Mature colonie consist of up to 20,000 workers and one queen. A queen can live up to 40 years, and many colonies survive for 20 years. [Wikipedia]

#10 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 21 2017 - 4:11 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

That tooth does not look right in that image, we need a better shot. However based on where you found them I would say they are not P. subnitidus.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 21 2017 - 8:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Is there a reason why you're posting all your pictures as links and not images? You've actually got URLs to the pictures themselves.

#12 Offline marcel - Posted September 22 2017 - 5:55 AM

marcel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I fixed the pictures. Sorry

Edited by marcel, September 22 2017 - 6:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users