• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Green Head Ant Queen?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 26 2021 - 12:49 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Mating probably doesn’t increase lifespan. I would assume they can live for at least a month or two.

#22 Offline ANTMANY - Posted September 26 2021 - 7:52 PM

ANTMANY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks for the help!

Edited by ANTMANY, September 26 2021 - 7:53 PM.

#23 Offline ANTMANY - Posted September 26 2021 - 10:17 PM

ANTMANY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

3. As long as they can turn around (at least 10mm) it should be alright.

You said a while back you would recommend 10mm at least for this species but what would you go for if you still wanted to see most to all their tunnels but still give them enough space to make decent sized chambers?

#24 Offline SYUTEO - Posted September 26 2021 - 11:08 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

You said a while back you would recommend 10mm at least for this species but what would you go for if you still wanted to see most to all their tunnels but still give them enough space to make decent sized chambers?

I will fill up a formicarium with substrate and they will be able to dig and I could still see they're chambers.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#25 Offline ANTMANY - Posted September 27 2021 - 8:00 PM

ANTMANY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I will fill up a formicarium with substrate and they will be able to dig and I could still see they're chambers.

Ok, thanks

I don't know if you are an aussie or not but do you think the green head ant queen is rare?

#26 Offline SYUTEO - Posted September 27 2021 - 10:06 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ok, thanks

I don't know if you are an aussie or not but do you think the green head ant queen is rare?

I'm not so I don't know but you can try to ask other aussie members here.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#27 Offline JCRHJM - Posted September 27 2021 - 10:45 PM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Ok, thanks

Here in sydney the green head ant is very common there are multiple colonies in pretty much every backyard though I do believe they are quite sought after overseas

#28 Offline ANTMANY - Posted September 28 2021 - 2:45 AM

ANTMANY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Edited by ANTMANY, September 28 2021 - 6:32 PM.

#29 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 28 2021 - 6:36 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Thanks for the response!
I do think colony’s of these guys are common but are queens of this species common? Cuz according to wiki, ant keeping depot and many other sites they say that queens are rare and are hardly produced cuz they are gamer gates.
Cheers

the gamergate stuff is most likely false. I’ve never heard of this myself, and they almost exclusively reproduce with queens, which are quite commonly found by antkeepers.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#30 Offline ANTMANY - Posted September 28 2021 - 6:32 PM

ANTMANY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks for the response!
I do think colony’s of these guys are common but are queens of this species common? Cuz according to wiki, ant keeping depot and many other sites they say that queens are rare and are hardly produced cuz they are gamer gates.
Cheers

the gamergate stuff is most likely false. I’ve never heard of this myself, and they almost exclusively reproduce with queens, which are quite commonly found by antkeepers.

Yeah maybe, i have just found that a lot of people say that anyway.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#31 Offline ANTMANY - Posted September 28 2021 - 6:33 PM

ANTMANY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Ok, thanks

Here in sydney the green head ant is very common there are multiple colonies in pretty much every backyard though I do believe they are quite sought after overseas

Thanks for the response!

Cheers

#32 Offline Ecthelion - Posted September 29 2021 - 3:16 PM

Ecthelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Ok, thanks

not that rare, I see them quite often.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users