• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How long does it take for a carpenter ant colony to grow?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted January 9 2017 - 1:57 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Nutrition keeping carpenter ants iknow that they grow slower than most species of ants because they're bigger than other ants and they need more time to develop. I've heard that in the first year of keeping carpenter ants you can have about 50 workers if you're lucky and in the second year you can get about 200 workers and then later in the third year that's when the explosion in population comes. I want to know if that's true for those of you who have experience with carpenter ants. I'm still not sure what species should I get I want Colony that doesn't grow that fast so I don't need to change or add any nests once every year and I don't want the species that's very very slow in development something in the middle so if you have any sugestions pls say.

#2 Offline dermy - Posted January 9 2017 - 2:10 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I was lucky to get 5 workers the first year. I don't know about the US but 50 sounds like a lot, I'd say normal would be maybe 20 workers if you are lucky. It took my queen's first batch 2 months to go through all the stages. I could see getting 50-100 on the second year, but the 100 is probably still too high. Like you said after that there usually is an explosion in Population. As for Species I'd say get whatever is local, it's not too easy to miss [unless you never go outside] the Camponotus nuptial flights, since the queens are very large. Make sure you collect at least 10-15 since I've noticed [at least in my experience] they have a rocky start.

The most important part is Patience, mine took forever to get first workers. By the time fall came around I had second generation larvae that had ceased developing [for hibernation] and are now still in hibernation. My other colony lost it's brood in hibernation due to a mold problem.

I'm sure there are others who have had much better success than I have. I know Crystals has had great success with her Camponotus colonies.

#3 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 9 2017 - 2:30 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
I agree with Dermy. My C.pennsylvanicus only had 16 workers before they died due to some unknown reason.

YJK

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 9 2017 - 2:43 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Dermy, actually, 50 seems normal. Our colonies need hibernation so imagine adding 4-5 months to your colony's time active. Plus, Crystals' novaeborecensis colony experienced heavy brood boosting so I think that's the reason they grew so fast

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline NikolaBale - Posted January 9 2017 - 4:11 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I was lucky to get 5 workers the first year. I don't know about the US but 50 sounds like a lot, I'd say normal would be maybe 20 workers if you are lucky. It took my queen's first batch 2 months to go through all the stages. I could see getting 50-100 on the second year, but the 100 is probably still too high. Like you said after that there usually is an explosion in Population. As for Species I'd say get whatever is local, it's not too easy to miss [unless you never go outside] the Camponotus nuptial flights, since the queens are very large. Make sure you collect at least 10-15 since I've noticed [at least in my experience] they have a rocky start.

The most important part is Patience, mine took forever to get first workers. By the time fall came around I had second generation larvae that had ceased developing [for hibernation] and are now still in hibernation. My other colony lost it's brood in hibernation due to a mold problem.

I'm sure there are others who have had much better success than I have. I know Crystals has had great success with her Camponotus colonies.

well i never keept ants before waiting 2 years for 100 souds kinda too long at least for a firs colony.What abou messor.sp are they any faster in development ?

well i never keept ants before waiting 2 years for 100 souds kinda too long at least for a firs colony.What abou messor.sp are they any faster in development ?

#6 Offline Leo - Posted January 9 2017 - 8:24 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

well mine got up to 60 in the first year, now they have about 65 workers and majors

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 9 2017 - 8:37 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

well mine got up to 60 in the first year, now they have about 65 workers and majors

Note that he lives in Asia. I think Hong Kong, so a more tropical climate means faster growth.

YJK

#8 Offline Leo - Posted January 10 2017 - 1:33 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Note that he lives in Asia. I think Hong Kong, so a more tropical climate means faster growth.

oops i forgot to mention that  :facepalm:

#9 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted January 10 2017 - 1:35 AM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

I think this is going to vary widely amongst Camponotus across the globe. The species that are local to me seem to have a slower first year, 5-20 workers being about average from what I've seen. 

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted January 10 2017 - 5:15 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Tropical Camponotus from Asia,Africa and South America will grow MUCH faster due to higher average temperatures and lack of hibernation.
Northern Camponotus grow pretty slow. Also they tend to be rather boring as young colonies - they fill their huge stomachs with sugar water and then they sit in their tube all day long waiting for the eggs/larvae to hatch (and it takes them two months to get from egg to worker).

Edited by Serafine, January 10 2017 - 5:17 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted January 10 2017 - 8:52 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I have camponotus pennsylvanicus. I caught the queen in July or August? I can't remember exactly. However two days after i caught her she laid eggs and as I type this she still doesn't have her first worker. They are still in the larvae stage. That should answer your question. :)

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#12 Offline AntswerMe - Posted April 16 2017 - 9:58 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
I'm a few months late but I'll tell you about mine.

I've had my C. floridanus for about ten months and already have about 80 workers. That seems pretty huge compared to others I've seen. By the time a year comes around there should be over 100 because there is a lot of brood including eggs, larvae, and pupae (cocoons). I'm not sure why they grow so fast but good for me I guess. (Also this has happened without heating them. I've only just began to heat them in the past two weeks.)

Edited by AntswerMe, April 16 2017 - 10:07 AM.

• T.C. likes this

#13 Offline nurbs - Posted April 16 2017 - 10:42 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Pretty sure it depends on the species and how well they are reared (diet, temp, environment, etc), but generally Camponotus develop slower than other species.

The ones I raise average 5-15 workers during their first year.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#14 Offline Crazycow - Posted February 10 2022 - 2:58 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton
I live Washington state, US and my Camponotus colony got to 130 workers in the first year and only took about a month to get first workers. Now I don’t know if I’m just a rare case but for me I got about 15 or so workers after a few months then had a massive population explosion to about 50-60 and then right before hibernation hit I had another to 100. Now they are at 130 or so and I’m just getting to my second year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 10 2022 - 5:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Necropost
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline Crazycow - Posted February 10 2022 - 5:42 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

Necropost

Lmao didn’t realize this was from 5 years ago

#17 Offline NikolaBale - Posted February 12 2022 - 1:05 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Necropost

Hahah well thanks for the quick anwser.

But in the meantime i gathered the necessary experience.

• ANTdrew and Crazycow like this

#18 Offline Crazycow - Posted February 13 2022 - 1:45 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

Necropost

Hahah well thanks for the quick anwser.
But in the meantime i gathered the necessary experience.

Haha yes I was quite hasty with that response

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users