• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messor Barbarus workers dying

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MuddyNinja - Posted August 20 2021 - 12:32 PM

MuddyNinja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I received my Queen with a few workers and a lot of eggs about ten days ago in a standard test tube set up...I left them for a few days then checked on them, they all seemed fine but the following day they got knocked off the side and the living area got flooded... Transferred to a new testube and left alone again...checked yesterday and all the workers are dead and there are only a few eggs left..queen seems active.. is there anything else I can do to help her or should I just leave her in peace? These are literally my first ever Ants and it seems I have killed them before I even started :(
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 20 2021 - 7:12 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If you can, try to get messor brood from someone and brood boost her. When a queen loses all her workers it is unlikely she will be able to re-found a colony.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#3 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted August 20 2021 - 10:36 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I agree with Manitobant. Failing a brood boost, feed her well and try to get her to found again. It's possible that you could get her to refound this way but the chances aren't great. Don't worry too much about killing your first colony; I killed mine by leaving them in the sun only a week after buying them and I suspect that many others on here have similar experiences. Over time you will learn more about antkeeping and have successful colonies if you continue moving forward and learning from your mistakes.

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#4 Offline MuddyNinja - Posted August 21 2021 - 8:30 AM

MuddyNinja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you both, I will leave her in peace for now and see if I can get a brood for her and keep my fingers crossed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users