• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Opinion on Tarheelants nest desings?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted August 11 2021 - 12:23 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

So, I've been looking a lot in to how different nest designs work for ants.And I've notice a lot of people praising THA for its quality.

From what i could observe his nests are unique in the way the hydration works whit the water tower system and in the material "type 3" which seems to work.

Also from what i could gather THA basically invented the evaporation method or was the first to make it more mainstream?I say this because i don't know any other manufacturer that makes nests whit this system.

I would gladly test them out myself but they are a bit too expensive for me :/

I'm asking because i want to try to make something similar.

Thanks!

• mantisgal, olookitsme and zA-Z0-9 like this

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 11 2021 - 12:27 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I personally think the THA system is great. But! Not only because it works for so many ants, I think its so great, is it shows that you don't need a ton of fancy equipment to make great ant nests.

I personally make my own with very similar (pretty much the same) designs, and I know quite a few people on here do that too.

You could always try making your own, buy THA, or buy someone who makes similar ones. I know there are a few people on this forum who sell similar designs for a lower price.

Edited by AntsMaryland, August 11 2021 - 12:28 PM.

• NikolaBale, ANTdrew, cocdeshijie and 5 others like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline NikolaBale - Posted August 11 2021 - 12:41 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I personally think the THA system is great. But! Not only because it works for so many ants, I think its so great, is it shows that you don't need a ton of fancy equipment to make great ant nests.

I personally make my own with very similar (pretty much the same) designs, and I know quite a few people on here do that too.

You could always try making your own, buy THA, or buy someone who makes similar ones. I know there are a few people on this forum who sell similar designs for a lower price.

Yes the reason for my question is because i want to make my own.It dosen't seem to require much but i want to get as many details as i can.

I'm kind of transitioning from the acrylic and 3d printed nests, i see a lot of experienced antkeepers have done so as well.

There has to be a reason :D

Thanks for the answer.

• olookitsme likes this

#4 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 11 2021 - 4:13 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Tarheel is the best in a lot of people's opinion and the few colonies I have in their nest are having no problems. My only "complaint" is that the nests I got are too deep for my taste and the outworlds are smaller than I like. Both of those are options I chose. They make flatter nests and have plenty of expansion ports on the mini hearth and Casita that I got that I could add a bigger outworld.

• Antkeeper01, KadinB, olookitsme and 1 other like this

#5 Offline futurebird - Posted August 11 2021 - 4:21 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Tar heel's nests can be washed and reused several times. This is worth thinking about when you consider the price. If you already have many of the materials lying around the house making one might be less expensive but if you have to buy it all from scratch it really won't be unless you need to make like 5 or more nests. 

DIY isn't always cheaper. But then my DIY nests was a cause of much suffering... and I could have bought one for much much less. 

I do agree with Skw's comments about them being too deep and not having big enough outworlds. This is the main reason they aren my favorite nests. For that I'd say foranto or underground citi. And when it comes to what I use the most? Underground citi. 

Edited by futurebird, August 11 2021 - 4:22 PM.

• TacticalHandleGaming and olookitsme like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#6 Offline NikolaBale - Posted August 11 2021 - 4:37 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Tar heel's nests can be washed and reused several times. This is worth thinking about when you consider the price. If you already have many of the materials lying around the house making one might be less expensive but if you have to buy it all from scratch it really won't be unless you need to make like 5 or more nests.

DIY isn't always cheaper. But then my DIY nests was a cause of much suffering... and I could have bought one for much much less.

I do agree with Skw's comments about them being too deep and not having big enough outworlds. This is the main reason they aren my favorite nests. For that I'd say foranto or underground citi. And when it comes to what I use the most? Underground citi.

How can making them be more expensive? I don't know what the type 3 material is but lets say i use grout or plaster....
I can buy the mixing powder for 6€.
Plastic dishes and tubes maybe 2-3€
Arcylic bought in large panels of 1m2 are the most expensive part...They cost me like 10€ but i can use it for several nests...
So the grand total is under 20€, but for a single medium sized nest is probably less because of the panel...
For me buying lets say a fortress type 3 would cosy me like 120€ whit shipping 😶

Definitely not cheaper for me at least lol, they may not turn out as pretty the first few times but I'm sure whit practice they will functionally similar.

#7 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 11 2021 - 5:21 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

How can making them be more expensive? I don't know what the type 3 material is but lets say i use grout or plaster....
I can buy the mixing powder for 6€.
Plastic dishes and tubes maybe 2-3€
Arcylic bought in large panels of 1m2 are the most expensive part...They cost me like 10€ but i can use it for several nests...
So the grand total is under 20€, but for a single medium sized nest is probably less because of the panel...
For me buying lets say a fortress type 3 would cosy me like 120€ whit shipping

Definitely not cheaper for me at least lol, they may not turn out as pretty the first few times but I'm sure whit practice they will functionally similar.

Make sure to use ultracal 30 or something of that nature. Avoid Plaster of Paris at all costs. :D

• MinigunL5 and Antkeeper01 like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#8 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted August 11 2021 - 8:40 PM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California

For that I'd say foranto or underground citi. And when it comes to what I use the most? Underground citi. 

I hadn't heard of these.  I found Foranto, those look like a lot of fun but they are all sold out on their website.  Perhaps they are just made to order?  I can't seem to find Underground Citi, can you point me in the right direction?

• TestSubjectOne and Antkeeper01 like this

#9 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 11 2021 - 11:07 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have made a guide on how to make gypsum nest. Refer to my post and actual cost of making such nest. Once you get good it’s fairly easy and much much cheaper than buying

https://www.formicul...s/?fromsearch=1

Edited by kiedeerk, August 11 2021 - 11:08 PM.

• ANTdrew and futurebird like this

#10 Offline NikolaBale - Posted August 12 2021 - 12:39 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I have made a guide on how to make gypsum nest. Refer to my post and actual cost of making such nest. Once you get good it’s fairly easy and much much cheaper than buying

https://www.formicul...s/?fromsearch=1

I will check it out thank you! 😃

#11 Offline futurebird - Posted August 12 2021 - 4:05 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

For that I'd say foranto or underground citi. And when it comes to what I use the most? Underground citi. 

I hadn't heard of these.  I found Foranto, those look like a lot of fun but they are all sold out on their website.  Perhaps they are just made to order?  I can't seem to find Underground Citi, can you point me in the right direction?

https://www.etsy.com...UndergroundCiti

• MysticNanitic and olookitsme like this

#12 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 12 2021 - 10:56 AM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationJoliet, Illinois

So, I've been looking a lot in to how different nest designs work for ants.And I've notice a lot of people praising THA for its quality.

From what i could observe his nests are unique in the way the hydration works whit the water tower system and in the material "type 3" which seems to work.

Also from what i could gather THA basically invented the evaporation method or was the first to make it more mainstream?I say this because i don't know any other manufacturer that makes nests whit this system.

I would gladly test them out myself but they are a bit too expensive for me :/

I'm asking because i want to try to make something similar.

Thanks!

i started off going with antscanada, because that's who showed me the world of antkeeping. while, I like his starter gear packs for early stages of colony keeping, but going bigger, I find THA is actually a little more affordable than AC, and the equipment looks a lot nicer, in my opinion.

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

Queens owned

3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus

3 Formica pallidefulva

#13 Offline olookitsme - Posted August 12 2021 - 11:07 AM

olookitsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationJoliet, Illinois

https://www.etsy.com...UndergroundCiti

do you think that would keep camponotus penns from chewing through?

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

Queens owned

3 Camponotus pennsylvanicus

3 Formica pallidefulva

#14 Offline futurebird - Posted August 13 2021 - 2:59 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

I hope so I have a queen with a few workers in one. They are hard plastic. Do Camponotus eat plastic?

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 13 2021 - 3:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I hope so I have a queen with a few workers in one. They are hard plastic. Do Camponotus eat plastic?

Yes. There are several examples on this forum of Camponotus chewing through plastic, especially AntsCanada stopper plugs.
  • zA-Z0-9 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 13 2021 - 3:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Well its entirely dependent upon the plastic. I higly doubt they could chew through good acrylic. Now 3d printed plastics? Maybe.
  • zA-Z0-9 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 13 2021 - 3:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Here you go: https://www.formicul...d/?fromsearch=1
AntsCanada is clearly not good acrylic.
  • futurebird likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#18 Offline futurebird - Posted August 13 2021 - 5:44 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Is that plug like the standard clear rubber plugs? My Camponotus are still in small numbers so I don't think they would be trying to break down the walls. IDK how they could bite into a perfectly flat plastic surface. I've had issues with plaster... but that was a much larger colony and the plaster was damp due to cotton sitting on it for too long. 

The wall are about 1/8th of an inch thick ant it's higher quality 3D printing that's very smooth (so nothing to grab on to)

But If I do see any issues I'll mention it. 

Most of the underground citi nest are for founding. Breakouts seem to be a medium to large colony issue. 

I suspect my Camponotus in the wood nest with the 1 inch thick walls will make it out first. Though so far I have not seen any of my many Camponotus chew anything. Not even the discolor colony that was running out of space. I think healthy hard wood is just too tough for them. 

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

#19 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 13 2021 - 6:03 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

Is that plug like the standard clear rubber plugs? My Camponotus are still in small numbers so I don't think they would be trying to break down the walls. IDK how they could bite into a perfectly flat plastic surface. I've had issues with plaster... but that was a much larger colony and the plaster was damp due to cotton sitting on it for too long. 

The wall are about 1/8th of an inch thick ant it's higher quality 3D printing that's very smooth (so nothing to grab on to)

But If I do see any issues I'll mention it. 

Most of the underground citi nest are for founding. Breakouts seem to be a medium to large colony issue. 

I suspect my Camponotus in the wood nest with the 1 inch thick walls will make it out first. Though so far I have not seen any of my many Camponotus chew anything. Not even the discolor colony that was running out of space. I think healthy hard wood is just too tough for them. 

yeah youll notice most Camponotus colonys are in moist pine wood so i think solid dry oak or hickory should hold up

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#20 Offline Astrotate - Posted August 20 2021 - 1:58 PM

Astrotate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPetaluma CA
If your wondering what the little outworld on top is. It is a 1/64 scale die cast car display case. Probably from pioneer plastics. The dish looks like maybe a 35mm petri dish.
  • m99 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users