• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How long can a colony last without water.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:00 AM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

I found two Camponotus colonies but I am unable to give them a water source for a few days. Will they last? 

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Do not collect wild colonies, especially if you are not prepared to care for them well. Put them back where you found them.
  • TestSubjectOne, PetsNotPests and zA-Z0-9 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted August 7 2021 - 9:05 AM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Ok. Thanks for your feedback

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 7 2021 - 1:53 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I would actually advise you to keep them, especially if they are small. Camponotus are a very low humidity genus, so they should be good for a short time. I would put a wet cotton ball in whatever you are housing them in though, just in case.

#5 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted August 7 2021 - 2:01 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

I moved them into a test tube setup so they are ok now.

• Manitobant likes this

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 7 2021 - 8:59 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Ants die insanely quickly without water. I have learned this the hard way, even with desert species. I have gone out for a night/morning blacklighting session, where I start in the evening around 7pm, collect until 10 or so, get some sleep, and wake up at 4am for the morning fliers. This would usually have me back home and making test tube setups between 7 and 9am the next morning, and in the 12 hours since I collected the night queens I would have some deaths from dehydration, and others dying. I learned now to either give them a bit of wet soil or just make test tube setups right away. 

• mantisgal and GreekAnts like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users