• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polygynous Tetramorium immigrans?

tetramorium immigrans polygynous

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UtahAnts - Posted August 5 2021 - 9:20 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Has anyone ever had a multi-queen Tetramorium colony and kept it long term? I know that multiple queens often found together, and I often combine founding queens to get better success rates, but I have never had success with multiple queens surviving the first generation until now. This setup has about 8 queens, and around 15-20 workers. By now, all my other colonies have begun or already killed all but one queen. However this large colony has not lost even a single antennae yet. This has never happened before, but I'm guessing that due to the large number of living queens giving off pheromones in the tube, the workers cannot pinpoint certain queens to cull. This is probably totally wrong, but I'm at a loss as to what's happening. Has anyone had anything similar happen in their experience?

IMG-2190.jpg

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#2 Offline antgallery - Posted August 6 2021 - 7:10 AM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

I had a 10 queen colony that got up to a couple thousand workers before I sold them. I also live in Missouri tho and here you can't find a single colony that isn't polygynous.

Edited by antgallery, August 6 2021 - 7:13 AM.

• UtahAnts and zA-Z0-9 like this

#3 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 6 2021 - 7:18 AM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

I had a 10 queen colony that got up to a couple thousand workers before I sold them. I also live in Missouri tho and here you can't find a single colony that isn't polygynous.

i live in mo too where you from if you don't mind me asking  :D

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 6 2021 - 9:15 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

My tetra colonies have always waited until after workers arrive to start eliminating queens. I've had a colony that lived with four queens for many months before deciding to kill off the extra 3.

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 6 2021 - 9:19 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Are you in or around St. Louis? Because it sounds like those may have been T. tsushimae, which is an introduced species that's established itself in St. Louis. Tetramorium tsushimae are similar to T. immigrans but smaller and polygynous.

• CheetoLord02 and Manitobant like this

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 6 2021 - 3:34 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Tetramorium immigrans are strictly monogynous, and always kill all but one queen after the founding stage. I’ve never heard of anyone having multiple queens past the 100 worker mark.

Edited by Manitobant, August 6 2021 - 3:35 PM.

#7 Offline antgallery - Posted August 7 2021 - 7:07 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Are you in or around St. Louis? Because it sounds like those may have been T. tsushimae, which is an introduced species that's established itself in St. Louis. Tetramorium tsushimae are similar to T. immigrans but smaller and polygynous.

Yes I figured they were T. tsushimae. And yes I'm an hour outside of St. Louis.

#8 Offline antgallery - Posted August 7 2021 - 7:08 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

i live in mo too where you from if you don't mind me asking  :D

No problem, I live in Wright City, right between St. Louis and Columbia.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium immigrans, polygynous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users