• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Offline UtahAnts - Posted April 30 2022 - 8:14 AM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley
This colony has followed a similarly steady growth pattern to my absqualator, doubtless due more to my low feeding than the tendencies of the species. I want to clarify that growth is not a major aim of mine. I want to have colonies to look at and care for, but as long as the queen is healthy and workers aren't dying I'm fine with them growing slowly or staying at the same size. In my opinion, really large colonies are more trouble than I want and my Veromessor pergandei filling up their Nucleus has only confirmed my preference.

I agree completely, my favorite stage of a colony's development is often when they have around 20 workers. Fewer escapes, less feeding, more appreciation for each new worker. In my opinion bigger doesn't always mean better when it comes to ants.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#22 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 30 2022 - 4:57 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

This colony has followed a similarly steady growth pattern to my absqualator, doubtless due more to my low feeding than the tendencies of the species. I want to clarify that growth is not a major aim of mine. I want to have colonies to look at and care for, but as long as the queen is healthy and workers aren't dying I'm fine with them growing slowly or staying at the same size. In my opinion, really large colonies are more trouble than I want and my Veromessor pergandei filling up their Nucleus has only confirmed my preference.

I agree completely, my favorite stage of a colony's development is often when they have around 20 workers. Fewer escapes, less feeding, more appreciation for each new worker. In my opinion bigger doesn't always mean better when it comes to ants.

I agree too. But for me I try to raise some colony's to sizes to produce alates since it's my dream to hook up a setup that leads outside where only the alates get in there and they can have their nuptial flight and I'm contributing to not only for myself by being able to catch mated queens afterwards but be able to help the ecosystem by replenishing more than I take.

Edited by NicholasP, April 30 2022 - 4:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users