• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone Name Their Queens?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 7 2021 - 9:39 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

OK so this may stem from me starting my ant keeping journey, like many of us have, with AntsCanada.   I don't name the colonies but the queens are hit or miss as far as naming.   I named my first colonies' queens Lucy (Camponotus Discolor), Ethel (Camponotus Novaboreancis) and Delilah (Camponotus Chromaiodes).   I honestly don't remember her species just now... I'm a bad dad.   Also she may have escaped.  

I need to come up with names for my Trachymyrmex queen (But I have 3 queens at LEAST in that colony) and my Formica Queen.   

Anyway, do you guys name your queens?   I feel like it's appropriate since they can live 30 years.   

Thoughts?  

Edited by cap_backfire, July 7 2021 - 9:42 AM.

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 7 2021 - 9:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Many people in the forum do. I know ANTdrew has Norse(?) mythology themed names.
  • cap_backfire likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2021 - 10:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, I do Norse names for all my queens.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 7 2021 - 10:28 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Personally I don't, mainly because I don't think of my ants as I would a dog or something.

• Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#5 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 7 2021 - 10:51 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I name a few of my queens. I've stopped naming them until they actually have colonies though. 

• TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#6 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 7 2021 - 11:34 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

ANTDrew, I've seen this in your discussions about your colonies.   Great theme.  

DDD, you just need to teach them to fetch!   I mean... mine won't bring things to ME yet but they definitely go get whatever I put in their formicarium! 

Spazmops, this is a very good policy.   Keeps you from getting attached!   

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 7 2021 - 2:19 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I’ve thought about naming a polyergus queen after the mamluks, which were islamic slave soldiers that did plenty of enslaving themselves. Perhaps “Baibars” (a famous ruler of the mamluk sultanate) or “sultana” (just the female form of sultan) would work.

#8 Offline Nanahira - Posted July 7 2021 - 2:39 PM

Nanahira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

I often name my queens after anime girls. This reminds me that I have to feed Megumin later today.

• Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this

The Ant Colony | The r/Ants discord server - https://discord.gg/c7qCmfYqYZ

#9 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:49 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

When I was starting antkeeping, I had three Novomessor cockerelli queens. I named the fastest growing two of them "Hippolyta" and "Metis", well researched names from Greek mythology that reflected their personalities. The final queen, who was unremarkable and had mediocre brood growth, I just called "Queen two". As you can imagine, the two star queens died within a few months, and my remaining colony is that of queen two, the boring queen. While I think that naming queens is a good idea in principle, I would highly suggest that you follow Spazmop's advice and wait until you get workers before you name your queens, as it will narrow down the amount of work you need to put into it by a lot.

• Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 8 2021 - 3:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

When I was starting antkeeping, I had three Novomessor cockerelli queens. I named the fastest growing two of them "Hippolyta" and "Metis", well researched names from Greek mythology that reflected their personalities. The final queen, who was unremarkable and had mediocre brood growth, I just called "Queen two". As you can imagine, the two star queens died within a few months, and my remaining colony is that of queen two, the boring queen. While I think that naming queens is a good idea in principle, I would highly suggest that you follow Spazmop's advice and wait until you get workers before you name your queens, as it will narrow down the amount of work you need to put into it by a lot.

Exactly. I usually collect more than one of a species I keep the most productive queen and sell the rest. I only name the most productive queen I keep. Nothing is guaranteed, though, so you’ll always have disappointments. Myrmy’s Law.
  • ConcordAntman, Swirlysnowflake, TestSubjectOne and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 8 2021 - 8:26 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
I’ll name mine when I can command mine to do things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users