• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Idontexist's solenopsis journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#161 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 30 2022 - 7:19 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

going just by the size of whatever is in her jaws its gotta be a larvae. 

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#162 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 30 2022 - 7:20 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I think a egg has turned reddish. Good or baad thing?

#163 Online bmb1bee - Posted January 30 2022 - 7:43 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

If an egg looks reddish, then it might've hatched. The red part is the digested food that the queen fed the larva.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#164 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 31 2022 - 9:16 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

https://imgur.com/a/WnnOxn3
R they larvae

going just by the size of whatever is in her jaws its gotta be a larvae.
egg clutch

#165 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 31 2022 - 9:20 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Still no larva. I dobt know if they hatched

#166 Offline ArcaneAnt - Posted January 31 2022 - 2:31 PM

ArcaneAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I found them to be monomorium they are digging :)

Congrats man, hope they are still doing well

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#167 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 1 2022 - 6:25 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
She ate her eggs. I think i might brood boost her

#168 Offline Boomerfud - Posted February 1 2022 - 9:29 AM

Boomerfud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

She could be infertile

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#169 Online bmb1bee - Posted February 1 2022 - 11:10 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

If she eats her eggs, she might be too stressed. Here are some tips:

1) Check on her less, like only once or twice a week. In can be hard, but it'll help your queen. Too much light and vibrations will stress her out and cause her to eat her eggs.
2) Leave her in a dark quiet place. One with low light and no vibrations, like an unused drawer or closet.
3) Add some substrate like sand or dirt in the test tube. Trapjaws like Odontomachus generally do better with substrate in their founding chamber. Just don't bury her in it, put the substrate in the tube BEFORE you add your queen.
4) Feed the queen small bits of protein, like SMALL crickets or spiders. Kill them first, or else they'll kill your queen and brood. The queen will feed the protein to her brood so that they'll grow faster. Any larger prey will pose a much greater risk, and your queen might not even eat them. A couple small drops of honey will provide her energy to hunt.
5) If you DO brood-boost her, use only the same species and only mature larvae and pupae. Brood collected from other species might kill the queen once they hatch, so be sure to identify them correctly. If you give the queen too many eggs and small larvae, she might not be able to take care of.them all and might actually eat them instead.

Good luck on your trapjaw queen...

• Antkeeper01, Boomerfud and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#170 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 2 2022 - 7:48 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

1) Check on her less, like only once or twice a week. In can be hard, but it'll help your queen. Too much light and vibrations will stress her out and cause her to eat her eggs.
2) Leave her in a dark quiet place. One with low light and no vibrations, like an unused drawer or closet.
3) Add some substrate like sand or dirt in the test tube. Trapjaws like Odontomachus generally do better with substrate in their founding chamber. Just don't bury her in it, put the substrate in the tube BEFORE you add your queen.
4) Feed the queen small bits of protein, like SMALL crickets or spiders. Kill them first, or else they'll kill your queen and brood. The queen will feed the protein to her brood so that they'll grow faster. Any larger prey will pose a much greater risk, and your queen might not even eat them. A couple small drops of honey will provide her energy to hunt.
5) If you DO brood-boost her, use only the same species and only mature larvae and pupae. Brood collected from other species might kill the queen once they hatch, so be sure to identify them correctly. If you give the queen too many eggs and small larvae, she might not be able to take care of.them all and might actually eat them instead.

she was actually hiding them

#171 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 2 2022 - 7:48 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

she was actually hiding them

#172 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 2 2022 - 8:53 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

press post only once please

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#173 Online bmb1bee - Posted February 2 2022 - 10:30 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Additional tip, after you press it once and it doesn't load yet, wait for a moment. It'll load eventually... it happened to me a couple times too.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

#174 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 2 2022 - 11:16 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Additional tip, after you press it once and it doesn't load yet, wait for a moment. It'll load eventually... it happened to me a couple times too.

yeah me too

#175 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 3 2022 - 10:01 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
My sister accidentally realeased both the Ectatomma and the trapjaws in my room (she is a baby and was playing with the test tubes) but i managed to save both before they where gone. But she got bitten. The eggs are all safe. No updates
My sister accidentally realeased both the Ectatomma and the trapjaws in my room (she is a baby and was playing with the test tubes) but i managed to save both before they where gone. But she got bitten. The eggs are all safe. No updates

#176 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted February 3 2022 - 10:47 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

D o u b l e   w e l p

I'd advise to keep ants away from small children, especially something that can hurt so much like a trapjaw.

Hope everyone's ok, your sister and the ants.

• PetsNotPests likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#177 Online bmb1bee - Posted February 4 2022 - 9:36 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

You should find a more secure spot to place your test tubes. Like a taller shelf that your sister may not be able to reach, or somewhere she (and anyone else) won't find them. They're probably pretty stressed right now...

#178 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 4 2022 - 9:54 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Trap Jaw venom is excruciatingly painful and especially worse for younger children because they're smaller. I'd say put them in a locked cabinet although I have no idea how expensive locks are in Mexico. If you can't afford a lock my best advice is to put them on a higher shelf that only you can reach them ant to keep the test tubes from rolling around, you could use books. Let us know if you need any more help!

#179 Online bmb1bee - Posted February 4 2022 - 10:42 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

But it seems as if you're only keeping them in test tubes... Ectatomma and Odontomachus are both semi-claustral and need an outworld to forage in. You need to keep the test tubes in a plastic container with some DRY dirt (so that they won't nest in it), so that they can search for food in. Also, the test tubes have to be in SEPARATE containers, or else the ants will kill each other. Some food to give them are sugar water or small insects, served on a food plate of some sort so that it's easier to clean.

#180 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 4 2022 - 12:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Plot twist!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users