• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any insane anting stories? (Bragging included)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Offline KadinB - Posted July 5 2021 - 1:12 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
(This years tetras flights long story) I woke up to get ready for school and after I got ready waiting for my mom to get ready I went outside to check the pool to see if I can find any queens in there. I did find a pheidole Californica queen. Then a tetra female alate in the pool. I collected her and the pheidole queen. Right when I turn over I see two tetra queens sitting right there. I grab them and sprint back inside to get my aspirator. I came back out and then all of this sudden I notice there’s 100s of tetra queens all over the place. My back yard is mostly concrete so it was easy to find them. I was collecting as many as I could before I had to leave and I got 20 queens and had to leave. I was mad that I was gonna be missing out on tetra flights because of school. But on our way to school my mom said she would collect some for me with my little brother. Why I was at school heading to class I saw so man queens at least a 1000 all on a big area of concrete. I saw one of my teachers that knows I’m into ants and showed her and she was amazed by how many there were. I couldn’t collect any cause I was late to class because of trying to collect queens when I was at home and I didn’t want other people that were late seeing me collect queens. Later that day I showed a project partner a queen and she immediately steps on it and kills it. I was pained to watch that happen lol. Anyways I walk home and when I was walking home I caught around 6 queens. Other people walk the same way I go so I had to pull the good old “ tying my shoe trick” so people don’t see a 8th grader trying to collect a ant lol. When I got home I was so surprised. My mom and my little brother collected 60 queens. That was insane… I got my little bother to go out front with me and walk around the front of the house to collect some and we found 40 more after that. I ran out of test tubes as well lol. It took me 2 hours to get them all into a test tube and I had to put some queens together. I got a colony with 15 queens and now workers. I had to feed them today and it took a hour to feed them all a meal worm bit. But over all that whole flight was fun to experience. I think this is my favorites part about ant keeping is catching queens very exciting. Wow this got long. I would be surprised if someone read through this all lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01, gs5248 and 2 others like this

#22 Offline futurebird - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:49 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Once I was looking for ants with a magnifying glass and my asperator in the park across the street and the neighborhood kids decided to help me and now they constantly bring me pavement ants. 

Like all the time. They just give me ants. Worker ants. How do I make it stop?

• Antkeeper01, WSantkeeper, zA-Z0-9 and 1 other like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#23 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 7 2021 - 8:56 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Once I was looking for ants with a magnifying glass and my asperator in the park across the street and the neighborhood kids decided to help me and now they constantly bring me pavement ants.

Like all the time. They just give me ants. Worker ants. How do I make it stop?

Say you want ants with wings or fat ants.
  • Antkeeper01, WSantkeeper and zA-Z0-9 like this

#24 Offline Arthroverts - Posted July 8 2021 - 10:36 AM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

I was wandering around in the desert looking for Pogomyrmex (they were of course teasing me; the queens would come up to the surface, and then dart back down into the nest before flying) queens, and I was hunched over an especially large colony when I received a phone call. Being the dutiful communicator I am, I answered it and started talking with the caller. A few seconds later I felt the unmistakable feeling of very large, Pogomyrmex-shaped jaws digging into my left big toe, which caused me to jump and lose hold of my phone, which landed right in the middle of the nest.

After hopping around like my foot was on fire for a few seconds, frantically trying to get the ant out of my shoe, I grabbed my phone and tried to brush off the half-dozen ants determined to tear apart my OtterBox case, all while the caller asked if I was O.K, as I had yelled upon being bitten.

Needless to say I left the vicinity of that colony as quickly as I could.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• ANTdrew, Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#25 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 10 2021 - 6:13 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I found 20+ nylanderia queens mating on the ground

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#26 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 12 2021 - 9:32 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I was wandering around in the desert looking for Pogomyrmex (they were of course teasing me; the queens would come up to the surface, and then dart back down into the nest before flying) queens, and I was hunched over an especially large colony when I received a phone call. Being the dutiful communicator I am, I answered it and started talking with the caller. A few seconds later I felt the unmistakable feeling of very large, Pogomyrmex-shaped jaws digging into my left big toe, which caused me to jump and lose hold of my phone, which landed right in the middle of the nest.
After hopping around like my foot was on fire for a few seconds, frantically trying to get the ant out of my shoe, I grabbed my phone and tried to brush off the half-dozen ants determined to tear apart my OtterBox case, all while the caller asked if I was O.K, as I had yelled upon being bitten.

Needless to say I left the vicinity of that colony as quickly as I could.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

that's such a good story! Must’ve been pretty crazy for the person on the other end.
  • Arthroverts and DaAnt like this

#27 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 16 2021 - 12:11 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

My only crazy story so far is gettnig questioned by neighbors as I walk around the block with a flashlight and a shoulderbag full of test tubes (obviously they don't see the test tubes) at dusk or at night.  I probably look like a total maniac.   

Still haven't caught my own queens so... that's not great, but I'm ever-hopeful and have all the tools available except luck.   Someday!   

• GreekAnts and PaigeX like this

#28 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:24 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

My only crazy story so far is gettnig questioned by neighbors as I walk around the block with a flashlight and a shoulderbag full of test tubes (obviously they don't see the test tubes) at dusk or at night.  I probably look like a total maniac.   

Still haven't caught my own queens so... that's not great, but I'm ever-hopeful and have all the tools available except luck.   Someday!   

Omg same thing, I am trying so hard and still nothing, but I will not gonna give up!  I hope you will find a queen soon and I hope I will find too!

besides that the only crazy story I have is: 3 years ago, I first started searching for queen ants and I went to a park with a friend, he was not into ants or keeping pets in general, he was thinking I am crazy cause I liked ants, anyway I found a "queen" (it turned out to be a camponotus worker...  :facepalm:) and we headed back to our homes, the next day we went in highschool and we was talking with other guys in the break, and we had a argument (can't remember why) and he yelled "you put ants in your pockets like a weirdo..." (meaning the testube in my pocket from the day back) and everyone stopped and looked at as, I was really shy and got nervous because I was thinking that everyone will think I am a weirdo but nothing happend and everyone just ignored it and continue normally, he probably wanted attention and he felt the urge to yell it outloud so everyone can hear, anyway that was some highschool nonsense, now I am trying to really don't care about other peoples thoughts cause this is who am I and what I like and I don't have to hide and be afraid, I know its really hard not to be shy or think (what are they thinking, they probably think I am crazy) I think that too when I am searching the ground and lift rocks with testubes with cotton in my pockets but I really want to find a queen so I think its worth it!

• WSantkeeper, KadinB and PaigeX like this

#29 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 17 2021 - 10:16 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

My only crazy story so far is gettnig questioned by neighbors as I walk around the block with a flashlight and a shoulderbag full of test tubes (obviously they don't see the test tubes) at dusk or at night. I probably look like a total maniac.

Still haven't caught my own queens so... that's not great, but I'm ever-hopeful and have all the tools available except luck. Someday!

Omg same thing, I am trying so hard and still nothing, but I will not gonna give up! I hope you will find a queen soon and I hope I will find too!

besides that the only crazy story I have is: 3 years ago, I first started searching for queen ants and I went to a park with a friend, he was not into ants or keeping pets in general, he was thinking I am crazy cause I liked ants, anyway I found a "queen" (it turned out to be a camponotus worker... :facepalm:) and we headed back to our homes, the next day we went in highschool and we was talking with other guys in the break, and we had a argument (can't remember why) and he yelled "you put ants in your pockets like a weirdo..." (meaning the testube in my pocket from the day back) and everyone stopped and looked at as, I was really shy and got nervous because I was thinking that everyone will think I am a weirdo but nothing happend and everyone just ignored it and continue normally, he probably wanted attention and he felt the urge to yell it outloud so everyone can hear, anyway that was some highschool nonsense, now I am trying to really don't care about other peoples thoughts cause this is who am I and what I like and I don't have to hide and be afraid, I know its really hard not to be shy or think (what are they thinking, they probably think I am crazy) I think that too when I am searching the ground and lift rocks with testubes with cotton in my pockets but I really want to find a queen so I think its worth it!
If you have a hard time finding queen go to a moisture area. that's usually where i find most of my colonies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • cap_backfire and GreekAnts like this

#30 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 19 2021 - 8:14 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Thanks, Strawnkayden!   So like creekside or something?   I know of a secluded creek in a cematary that I harvest stuff for my isopods from and used to play down there as a kid (long story, not even slightly as creepy as it sounds).   I've also been looking almost extensively on hot, humid evenings/ nights as I'm not a morning person if I don't have to be.   I may change that up when the thief ants are flying next month.    I still haven't even seen a flight so... There's that.  

#31 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 19 2021 - 10:40 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Thanks, Strawnkayden! So like creekside or something? I know of a secluded creek in a cematary that I harvest stuff for my isopods from and used to play down there as a kid (long story, not even slightly as creepy as it sounds). I've also been looking almost extensively on hot, humid evenings/ nights as I'm not a morning person if I don't have to be. I may change that up when the thief ants are flying next month. I still haven't even seen a flight so... There's that.

I somehow never have much luck next to creeks so I like to flip rocks a bit away from it where it’s still moist.
  • cap_backfire likes this

#32 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 8 2021 - 8:25 AM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

well I'm only 16 and I've already found 2 rare species

• gs5248 and PaigeX like this

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#33 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted August 8 2021 - 9:09 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I'm only 13 and have observed about 40-50 different ant species in my year of antkeeping, 3-4 are cryptics my best cryptic find was Strumigenys in a area ruled by tetramorium

• zA-Z0-9 and PaigeX like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#34 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 8 2021 - 10:06 AM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

I'm only 13 and have observed about 40-50 different ant species in my year of antkeeping, 3-4 are cryptics my best cryptic find was Strumigenys in a area ruled by tetramorium

nice

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#35 Offline antsandmore - Posted August 8 2021 - 2:27 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I went to a place and stayed there overnight in a cabin. I went there at around 4, and found two pogonomyrmex queens. then, at night, I started blacklighting, and saw a bunch of ants that looked like solenopsis molesta. I didn't catch any though. I also think that I found some pheidole vistana and solenopsis queens, all that have brood right now. two weeks later, I went again, and while black lighting I found two parasitic lasius queens of the genus acanthomyops. I currently don't have host brood, but when I do get host brood, I'm hoping that they get a good colony. Not too insane, but feels like good luck to me.

• Antkeeper01, GreekAnts and PaigeX like this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#36 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 8 2021 - 4:14 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Okay so i have one from today which is straight up weird. I was walking across this large bridge with a busy road on one side of me and the river on the other and i find a dealate camponotus pennsylvanicus queen. I have no idea what she was doing as its not their flight season, she lacked wings and there is no areas where she could start founding.
  • zA-Z0-9 and PaigeX like this

#37 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 8 2021 - 4:15 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
[double post]

Edited by Manitobant, August 8 2021 - 4:16 PM.

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

#38 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 8 2021 - 4:30 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

[double post]

i hate it when i do that 

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#39 Offline SYUTEO - Posted August 8 2021 - 9:58 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

A few years back, I found an Anochetus queen at a restaurant but since I don't have a container to place it in, I placed it in a plastic bag. But while on the way home, my brother accidently flipped the plastic bag and the queen was nowhere to be found. :(

• PaigeX likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#40 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted August 9 2021 - 9:13 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

A few years back, I found an Anochetus queen at a restaurant but since I don't have a container to place it in, I placed it in a plastic bag. But while on the way home, my brother accidently flipped the plastic bag and the queen was nowhere to be found. :(

Oof.
  • SYUTEO likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users