• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any insane anting stories? (Bragging included)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 16 2021 - 10:32 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
I don’t have any crazy stories to tell. Btw I thought of this idea from Chickalo (obviously), but thanks.
  • KadinB and Chickalo like this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 16 2021 - 10:51 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
One time me and my friend were anting and we came across what we thought was a satanic ritual or something. We found candles and ripped/burnt bibles, it was kinda scary.
  • Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01, KadinB and 5 others like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 16 2021 - 12:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

One time me and my friend were anting and we came across what we thought was a satanic ritual or something. We found candles and ripped/burnt bibles, it was kinda scary.

Damn. Not cool.
  • Antkeeper01, KadinB, Chickalo and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted June 16 2021 - 12:23 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Well if I'm allowed to brag, the time I found my Neivamyrmex queen was pretty insane. I was just walking along the side of a random road in the middle of nowhere after a rain looking for ants that may be flying and stumbled across a Neivamyrmex trail. I started filming for my YouTube because well, it was cool, and within maybe 45 seconds the queen came right out of the hole. Completely caught me off guard. 

Here's that video if you haven't already seen it: 

I was also stupid lucky when I found my Polyergus topoffi queen. The area we were in had 4 different fusca-group Formica species, and I was making jokes about the lack of Formica parasites being surprising. Then towards the end of the trip I flipped a pretty substantial rock and found a massive Formica gnava colony with a bright orange Polyergus topoffi queen sitting directly in the middle. Definitely one of my best finds yet.

• Trailandstreet, Antkeeper01, KadinB and 1 other like this

#5 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 16 2021 - 3:30 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Wow so active already.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 16 2021 - 4:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
At the height of the pandemic last spring, I went out looking for Camponotus one night. As I got to the park, I noticed some empty bullet shells on the ground and a bunch of police in the park. I realized how stupid it was to be there at night and turned right around!
  • Antkeeper01, gs5248, Antcatcherpro3 and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 16 2021 - 5:06 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

One time, me and my dad went to my grandpa's plantation to look for some queens and almost every piece of rotting wood we flipped had a trap jaw queen.

• Swirlysnowflake, Arthroverts, Antkeeper01 and 6 others like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#8 Offline AntsLA-1 - Posted June 16 2021 - 6:28 PM

AntsLA-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Ok, I wouldn't really call this "insane" but it was strange. Just yesterday I was outside organizing my ant equipment, and out of nowhere a Pogonomyrmex queen starts walking around on the pavement! I guess they're flying where I am!  :yahoo:

Edited by AntsLA-1, June 16 2021 - 6:29 PM.

• Antcatcherpro3 likes this

Ants are cute, that's that.

Currently Keeping:

Nothing

#9 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted June 17 2021 - 3:56 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

So last year, I was out looking for queens in my yard. After a while I couldn't find any, but right when I was about to go inside a felt something on my hand, and there was a Myrmica queen. I didn't have any test tubes so I brought her inside on my hand.

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 18 2021 - 3:38 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

3 kind of small ones, but here we go. One times I was anting in my neighborhood in the middle of a Lasius cf. neoniger flight, and queens were everywhere. I literally had them in my hair and on my clothes. The second story is not all that amazing. I was just anting in my yard at my lake house when a winged Ponera queen landed on my hand and proceeded to try and sting me. I didn't keep her. 3rd story is similar to the first, but it was with Camponotus novaeboracensis queens. I was literally dodging them as they rapidly shot towards the ground all around me. It was crazy.

• cap_backfire likes this

#11 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 18 2021 - 6:04 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

This one is just plain random, I saw a trap jaw queen on the outside of my window, however before I could get it a bird randomly landed next to me and...welp, all I can say is no more queen for me.

• Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01, KadinB and 2 others like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#12 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted June 21 2021 - 11:46 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

So I wouldn't say this is insane but I found out that Tetramorium queens like to go to the beach! I went to the beach at like 6am because my dad went for a morning swim, and I found 4 Tetramorium queens. None on the sidewalk just on the beach. I have no idea why. (I caught these queens at Pleasure bay in southy. Go early if you live in Boston and want to get some).

#13 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 22 2021 - 12:50 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

This one is just plain random, I saw a trap jaw queen on the outside of my window, however before I could get it a bird randomly landed next to me and...welp, all I can say is no more queen for me.

Oof that sucks.

#14 Offline KadinB - Posted June 22 2021 - 1:28 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
Me and my friend Kayden Strawn who had made this thread had found a polyergus mexicanus queen in his front yard when we were new to ant keeping. We thought it was a workers luckily and released it. We also didn’t even know what the spe was or what parasitic ants were until a few around 4 months later. We found it at his house at 2000 elevation on June 10th of 2020. I would say that was probably our best catch and we didn’t even know it. We also found out how rare they were about a year later.

Here’s a pic
aabd483347573e5f9388558cf589c614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KadinB, June 22 2021 - 1:28 AM.

#15 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 22 2021 - 4:17 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Me and my friend Kayden Strawn who had made this thread had found a polyergus mexicanus queen in his front yard when we were new to ant keeping. We thought it was a workers luckily and released it. We also didn’t even know what the spe was or what parasitic ants were until a few around 4 months later. We found it at his house at 2000 elevation on June 10th of 2020. I would say that was probably our best catch and we didn’t even know it. We also found out how rare they were about a year later.

Here’s a pic
aabd483347573e5f9388558cf589c614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted June 29 2021 - 8:50 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I found tons of Aphaenogaster uinta colonies at Stirling city, which are supposed to be rare in California. So I think that's pretty cool.

#17 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 30 2021 - 9:55 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I found a Paratrechina longicornis colony in a dead palm leaf. Didn't catch them cuz I had no big container. And I also found a Platythyrea cf punctata queen but she escaped before I could get her set up. I still cry about it every night cuz I have never seen them again. And I got her while catching some leptogenys which sadly passed away. I have never seen that sp since too. Why am I so damn unlucky

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

Edited by ANTS_KL, June 30 2021 - 9:56 PM.

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#18 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 30 2021 - 10:01 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I found a Paratrechina longicornis colony in a dead palm leaf. Didn't catch them cuz I had no big container. And I also found a Platythyrea cf punctata queen but she escaped before I could get her set up. I still cry about it every night cuz I have never seen them again. And I got her while catching some leptogenys which sadly passed away. I have never seen that sp since too. Why am I so damn unlucky

Better luck next time.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#19 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 30 2021 - 10:02 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Better luck next time.
I'm tracking the Paratrechina so I can catch them. I have their exact nesting location. NO ESCAPE NOW MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#20 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 30 2021 - 10:11 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I was seperating the pedelings of my Rhysida longipes yesterday when all of a sudden an Anochetus queen came out of nowhere.

• Arthroverts and Antkeeper01 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users