• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

LF liometopum occidentale male elates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 13 2021 - 8:05 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I found a queen in my yard today and I would like to see if anyone could send me some males of this species. I want to make sure she mates because I’ve never seen these in my area before.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 14 2021 - 6:34 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Its almost impossible to mate queens and males in captivity sadly. Liometopum are one of the genera that tend to keep their wings sometimes though, even after mating.
  • ZTYguy likes this

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 14 2021 - 7:11 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Okay thank you. I kinda think it’s cool when they have they’re wings on just cause I’m weird like that but she has jus been calmly tearing at the cotton all night so I’m just gonna let her be and check up on her next week. Ma6be I’ll post a journal if she produces workers.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#4 Offline KadinB - Posted June 14 2021 - 8:09 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Its almost impossible to mate queens and males in captivity sadly. Liometopum are one of the genera that tend to keep their wings sometimes though, even after mating.

yea i have like 4 queens with wings on still and 2 that i caught before my other have a nice pile of larva which are almost pupa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users