• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test Tube setup out of water

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jlhmac - Posted May 19 2021 - 9:31 AM

jlhmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi!

ant1.jpg

I've been keeping this queen for almost 2 years now and the Test Tube setup that she's been held in has finally run out of water. I've tried to transfer her to a new one with new water by attaching the setup with tape. However both the queen and her workers have yet to be seen on the other side and I've had them attached for 2 weeks now! Given that I havn't fed them now for these 2 weeks should i be worried and try to speed up the process? At the moment i have the dry side in the daylight and the new water filled side in the dark for 2 weeks but this hasn't seemed to have helped.

ant 2.jpg

Hope someone here can help!

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 19 2021 - 9:42 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

just dump them into a formicarium. Also what species?

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 19 2021 - 9:44 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationCalif.

The workers will drink from the new tube, also the cotton can hold a surprising amount of water even after the water has ran out. If you want to keep them in a test tube you can turn them vertically and just dump them into the new tube.

• ZTYguy likes this

#4 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted May 19 2021 - 11:28 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Just start shaking them into the new tube. It's how I move my ants into a new tube and it workers great!

• ZTYguy likes this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2021 - 11:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
After two years they should have an outworld. Shake them into it and they will move into the new tube. You will definitely need to feed them ASAP.
  • B_rad0806, ZTYguy and Chickalo like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline jlhmac - Posted May 19 2021 - 2:28 PM

jlhmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The workers will drink from the new tube, also the cotton can hold a surprising amount of water even after the water has ran out. If you want to keep them in a test tube you can turn them vertically and just dump them into the new tube.

Thanks for all the answers! Soo i tilted the tube vertically and twisted i only managed to get the queen and some eggs to fall to the other test tube. I left it for a few hours and it seems the queen has gone back to the other side  :/

#7 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 19 2021 - 2:34 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Thanks for all the answers! Soo i tilted the tube vertically and twisted i only managed to get the queen and some eggs to fall to the other test tube. I left it for a few hours and it seems the queen has gone back to the other side  :/

Tap the tube while holding it vertically, workers will be stubborn. Also some brood may stick to the old tube, but they can be moved using a q-tip

Edited by Reign_Of_Rage, May 19 2021 - 2:34 PM.

#8 Offline jlhmac - Posted May 19 2021 - 2:35 PM

jlhmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Normally the ants are attached to an out world which is where i feed them. The test tube attaches to the bottom where the red screen is.

ant 3.jpg  

#9 Offline jlhmac - Posted May 19 2021 - 2:47 PM

jlhmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

ant 4.jpg

Been tapping at the tube and not managed to get much to go down the bottom other than the queen and a few eggs. Is it ok to just have the test tube vertical overnight?

#10 Offline jlhmac - Posted May 19 2021 - 3:10 PM

jlhmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I ended up putting the queen and the eggs test tube and attaching it to the out world. i was more forceful with the remaining workers in the old test tube and just poked them till they fell into the out world. Happy moving day  :)

just dump them into a formicarium. Also what species?

I believe they are normal garden ants Lasius niger.

Might be wrong though

• ZTYguy likes this

#11 Offline jlhmac - Posted May 19 2021 - 3:11 PM

jlhmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The queen has what looks like liquid coming out of her back end. Is this normal after moving day?  :sore:

#12 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 19 2021 - 3:12 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationCalif.

The queen has what looks like liquid coming out of her back end. Is this normal after moving day?  :sore:

Take a picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users