• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Has anyone used predatory mites?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Queen - Posted May 17 2021 - 9:44 AM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

Has anyone used predatory mites in their nests, specifically, Hypoaspis miles / Stratiolaelaps scimitis?

Have a few questions:

1) How much of the predatory mites do you dump in?

2) Where do you dump the predatory mites in?

3) Did the predatory mites eat grain mites and booklice?

4) If the predatory mites run out of food source, do they die off, or are they known to attack eggs/larva?

5) If the predatory mites do not run out of food source, do they explode in population?

Contemplating in getting some before my grain mites population explodes... Any thoughts appreciated!

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 17 2021 - 9:49 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

if you have a grain mite problem then hypoaspis are a great choice

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 17 2021 - 12:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I had a very successful experience using predatory mites to deal with a bad grain mite infestation last summer. Read my thread about it: https://www.formicul...t/?fromsearch=1
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Queen - Posted May 17 2021 - 7:52 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I had a very successful experience using predatory mites to deal with a bad grain mite infestation last summer. Read my thread about it: https://www.formicul...t/?fromsearch=1

Thank you that was a very informative read. I may consider buying them if adding ventilating to reduce moisture does not work in reducing their numbers.

What happened with the predatory mites afterward? Did they just die off?

At any point, did the predatory mites bother the developing egg/larva?

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2021 - 2:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I can’t see anymore mites in the setup, so I assume they died off. They did not harm eggs or brood of the ants in any way. The only downside I can think of is the high price, but it’s worth it if you really want to get rid of trash mites.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#6 Offline Queen - Posted May 18 2021 - 1:47 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I can’t see anymore mites in the setup, so I assume they died off. They did not harm eggs or brood of the ants in any way. The only downside I can think of is the high price, but it’s worth it if you really want to get rid of trash mites.

Thanks! and at what point did you finally resort to using predatory mites?

I don't think my infestation is huge right now. Though I see a few of them here and there hanging around the outside of the outworld container and the nestmates, they're not crawling on the table or other items not related to the ant enclosures/nest. Not sure if I should try reducing moisture first by adding mesh to the sides of my THA nests (hopefully without harming the ants' needed humidity) or go straight to predatory mites.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2021 - 4:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
At some point this summer, their population will skyrocket. Dealing with it early may be easier than waiting for it to get out of control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users