• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Natural nests?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dermy - Posted June 6 2015 - 4:38 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I know like Ant World and all that sort of stuff.

#22 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 6 2015 - 5:16 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

saw this at CVS pharmacy, what's ur take on it?

[attachment=553:SSPX0017.jpg]

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#23 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 6 2015 - 5:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

saw this at CVS pharmacy, what's ur take on it?

attachicon.gifSSPX0017.jpg

It's oil-based or coated in some sort of hydrophobic substance. Exercise extreme caution.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#24 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 6 2015 - 5:41 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

was gonna try it, but not now!!  thanks 4 telling me  :)

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#25 Offline dermy - Posted June 6 2015 - 7:30 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I could see ants just making it their own anyway, best to use natural sand, so it's at least safe.

#26 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 6 2015 - 10:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Unfortunately it is really hard to get a quality dirt formicarium. All of the good ones are in europe...

Maybe that's something I need to work on.

saw this at CVS pharmacy, whats ur take on it?

attachicon.gifSSPX0017.jpg

It's oil-based or coated in some sort of hydrophobic substance. Exercise extreme caution.

If that's the stuff I was playing around with once at the Natural History Museum gift shop, I don't see how it would be of any practical use.

#27 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 6 2015 - 10:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I remember seeing it at some gift shop or Sharper Image, and I felt like I was going to get ebola after I touched it, once I realized how long it must have been sitting there and how many thousands of kids' germs must be in it.

• dermy likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#28 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 7 2015 - 11:25 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I remember seeing it at some gift shop or Sharper Image, and I felt like I was going to get ebola after I touched it, once I realized how long it must have been sitting there and how many thousands of kids' germs must be in it.

LOL :D

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#29 Offline Miles - Posted June 7 2015 - 4:37 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I think that soil/substrate nests can be excellent formicariums! As someone who has spent a lot of time over on the European forums, I can definitely say that they have a place in ant keeping and to say so otherwise would be foolish, in my opinion. Sure, there are flaws with them, but they're valuable education tools. Part of my current elementary school curriculum is based on observation of soil excavation by ants. It's only natural that we ant keepers implement that capability in some of our formicariums.

Edited by Miles, June 7 2015 - 4:38 PM.

• Ants4fun likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 7 2015 - 4:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I am planning to eventually design a really big preformed formicarium that also has soil the ants can excavate, along with a really nice, natural outworld big enough for them to build their entire mound the way they do in the wild. When I do, it'll be either Acromyrmex versicolor, or Myrmecocsytus mexicanus that I'll have in it; they both make really cool mounds. I think that would look awesome sitting in a living room.

• Myrmicinae, Ants4fun, Miles and 1 other like this

#31 Offline Miles - Posted June 7 2015 - 4:59 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Yes, I have Myrmecocystus mexicanus and I collected the pebbles from their mounds for the formicarium I am planning to make for them. For the time being, they have made a small mound out of them. Pretty neat!

• Myrmicinae and Ants4fun like this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#32 Offline Barristan - Posted June 8 2015 - 4:07 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

As I already said in another thread most of the time a well moisturized dirt nest will always win. Ants living in soil will prefer it over ytong, plaster of paris, acrylic glass nest etc.

But that does not necessarily mean that dirt nests are always better. Ants have been kept in artificial nests for years successfully. One Lasius niger queen was kept in a plaster of paris nest for 29 years.

In the end it is just personal preference.

That is an example how a natural formicarium can look like: http://eusozial.de/v...opic.php?t=2762

Edited by Barristan, June 8 2015 - 4:11 AM.

• Ants4fun likes this

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 8 2015 - 6:36 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

As I already said in another thread most of the time a well moisturized dirt nest will always win. Ants living in soil will prefer it over ytong, plaster of paris, acrylic glass nest etc.

But that does not necessarily mean that dirt nests are always better. Ants have been kept in artificial nests for years successfully. One Lasius niger queen was kept in a plaster of paris nest for 29 years.

In the end it is just personal preference.

That is an example how a natural formicarium can look like: http://eusozial.de/v...opic.php?t=2762

That's a really nice looking out world. Where is the nest, and are the ants viewable in the nest?

#34 Offline Barristan - Posted June 8 2015 - 6:51 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

The bullet ants live in the soil and the Pseudomyrmex pallidus live in one of the pieces of dead wood. So he can't view the ants inside their nest.

#35 Offline GDVP - Posted June 8 2015 - 6:52 AM

GDVP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGuernsey

I like the idea of giving ants a natrual way to nest and build but the only problem i've got with it is that most of time you won't be able to see what is going on inside of the nest.

#36 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted June 8 2015 - 8:21 AM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

I liken the analogy as:

Fish aquarium with fake plants, toy divers with bubbles, and neon pebbles

or

A Fish aquarium with natural growing plants and natural substrate. Also perhaps a mix where the fake is meant to looks as closely to the natural as possible.

All a matter of taste. Same debate it seems.

• Ants4fun and Barristan like this

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users