• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lillyrose My first Year Anting: a general all over journal about my experience

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 19 2021 - 9:49 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
Termites will build huge mud towers in some countries, they're not just wood-borers!

#22 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 19 2021 - 11:10 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Termites will build huge mud towers in some countries, they're not just wood-borers!

That's really neat! These were in that thick mud filled kinda clay dirt. I found out that there are plenty that nest in the dirt! I had no clue!

My pavement ants seem to love them. The acorn ants are less enthusiastic lol
  • mantisgal likes this

#23 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 19 2021 - 2:38 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

I wonder if the acorns would like a bit of earthworm?

• Lillyrose likes this

#24 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 19 2021 - 6:39 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

I wonder if the acorns would like a bit of earthworm?

They eat worms? Red wigglers? Or just nightcrawlwrs? Or anything?

#25 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 20 2021 - 11:25 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Dunno. Do it for Science? See if they like it

#26 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 21 2021 - 6:03 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
So, I took the time to shift the mud and pull out the baby termites I had found. I got a pretty good size bag for snacks.

20210421_192227.jpg

Worried about mites I did an inspection cause I feel like they wouldn't boil well. I didn't see anything on the termites. Here's hoping it doesn't bite me in the tushie later.

WIN_20210421_19_59_24_Pro.jpg WIN_20210421_19_59_13_Pro.jpg

I've been attempting to kind of map out my yard and the colonies there, but I live near near a little stream and last year it flooded and brought in massive amounts of sticks and stuff. It is like a wonder land for ants.

20210421_174006.jpg

Today I discovered that if Crematogaster are crawling all over your hand and do the scorpion butt thing... they're going to make a white foamy cream! It startled me badly and I instinctively flung them away. I couldn't help it lol though I feel bad.

20210421_182911.jpg

I discovered that my sand pit is full of these guys. Not just a few but so so so full.

I also found what someone said was nylanderia. They were in a small piece of wood. I had to fight the urge to take the colony. I have yet to have any luck with wild colonies though and fought the urge. I'm kinda craving some larger ants anyway and it's time for Camponotus to fly .. so I put them down and kept going.
Screenshot_20210421-173146_Video Player.jpg

Then these guys snagged their brood and ran. I don't blame them, but they were so small and so fast that pictures were impossible.

20210421_174917.jpg

Finally my attention was caught by something shiny. Turns out there is some kinda larvae, worm like thing in the stick. It may or may not have tried to bite me .. but I think it tried.

I found the acorn ants don't seem to like the termites but like the mealworms. Meanwhile the Temnothorax have done a 180.. they now like a lot more. They didn't seem to want sliced ham but termites, fruit flies, and fish flakes are all on their approved foods list.
  • Kaelwizard, TacticalHandleGaming and mantisgal like this

#27 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 26 2021 - 3:30 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
We are prepping the garden and doing some work and I found 2 nuts full of ants while working. The nuts had kinda gotten crushed up with the tiller and I saw movement... I managed to pull these two colonies out but several other colonies appear to be out of luck.

The funny thing is, in the winter I went on an acorn hunt like 30 times... I buried them in my garden when they had no ants (or I thought they had no ants ... hibernation .. I might not have know they hibernate yet) and forget them.

Now they're popping up and bringing me all sorts of gifts.

Crematogaster and something that starts with an N .. tiny girls who run around in full panic mode.

I'll probably release them in a day or two... but I am enjoying watching them at the moment.

20210426_183403.jpg
20210426_183029.jpg 20210426_183756.jpg
20210426_183520.jpg

Attached Images

• 20210426_183520.jpg

• Kaelwizard and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#28 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 2 2021 - 3:16 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
What a day!

Not to spoil it but I didn't find a queen today.

I spent about 3 hours in the woods today, left the dog at home so I could flip logs and really search. I found a lot of cool things ... including one of the biggest Camponotus colonies ever. My pretty girls were everywhere. It killed me to put the rock down. I wanted to grab them so bad.

My logical brain said there was no point in grabbing workers ... but my heart said I want themmmmmmmmmm! I let them alone ... but goodness I hope I catch one whenever it is they fly. I need to figure out what they are so I can look it up.

http://imgur.com/a/MLFwokn

Walking away was hard ... but I did it. Thankfully logic won and I didn't do anything silly.

20210502_144430.jpg
The first log I flipped came with with gentle reminder that ants aren't the only things in the underbrush. This little garder snake curled up. He was so small I thought he was a massive worm. I found a few colonies but they were all colonies ... not just a queen and a few workers. I didn't want to mess with any colonies so I just returned the logs as I went. It always amazes me how small some ants are.

http://imgur.com/a/Ti1DtXV

I ended up with another surprise visitor or two .... harmless but startled me anyway.

20210502_160815.jpg

While I didn't find any queens I found a lovely worker. She is another kinda Camponotus and it has cemented my love of Camponotus. They're just .. amazingly gorgeous.

20210502_161302.jpg

All in all I had a good time... but I just haven't had any queen luck.

Edited by Lillyrose, May 2 2021 - 3:20 PM.

#29 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 2 2021 - 4:05 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I was wrong

I did get a queen today!

About 5 minutes ago I was in the garden and something bit or stung my toe. That made me stop and look. I'm not sure if it was her that bit me but there she was!20210502_194547.jpg

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 2 2021 - 4:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That is a worm snake. Looks like you found a Formica queen to me.
  • mantisgal likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#31 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 2 2021 - 4:22 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Worm snake?

Oh! The little snake!

He looks like a worm too!
That's cool to know... thanks Antdrew!

Edited by Lillyrose, May 2 2021 - 4:23 PM.

#32 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 2 2021 - 4:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, wormsnake, not a garter snake.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#33 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 2 2021 - 5:07 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yes, wormsnake, not a garter snake.

I love finding Eastern Worm Snakes under logs and rocks. They're so small and honestly fun to handle. 

• ANTdrew likes this

#34 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 3 2021 - 2:49 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
My Camponotus queen has passed ... :-( I saw when I was setting up the new queen in the test tubes.

#35 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2021 - 4:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry. I bet Tuesday may be a big day for them.

#36 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 3 2021 - 4:16 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

What a day!

Not to spoil it but I didn't find a queen today.

I spent about 3 hours in the woods today, left the dog at home so I could flip logs and really search. I found a lot of cool things ... including one of the biggest Camponotus colonies ever. My pretty girls were everywhere. It killed me to put the rock down. I wanted to grab them so bad.

My logical brain said there was no point in grabbing workers ... but my heart said I want themmmmmmmmmm! I let them alone ... but goodness I hope I catch one whenever it is they fly. I need to figure out what they are so I can look it up.

http://imgur.com/a/MLFwokn

Walking away was hard ... but I did it. Thankfully logic won and I didn't do anything silly.

attachicon.gif20210502_144430.jpg
The first log I flipped came with with gentle reminder that ants aren't the only things in the underbrush. This little garder snake curled up. He was so small I thought he was a massive worm. I found a few colonies but they were all colonies ... not just a queen and a few workers. I didn't want to mess with any colonies so I just returned the logs as I went. It always amazes me how small some ants are.

http://imgur.com/a/Ti1DtXV

I ended up with another surprise visitor or two .... harmless but startled me anyway.

attachicon.gif20210502_160815.jpg

While I didn't find any queens I found a lovely worker. She is another kinda Camponotus and it has cemented my love of Camponotus. They're just .. amazingly gorgeous.

attachicon.gif20210502_161302.jpg

All in all I had a good time... but I just haven't had any queen luck.

Looks like you found castaneus to me!  Castaneus is the few Camponotus species I know of here on the east coast that are that colour.  It's all a chestnut colour and the head is a bit darker.  Could be americanus but looks to light to be them.  If I remember correctly those are quite rare...  At least here in Massachusetts!  They are flying May-June, so be on the look out for any queens!  (also owo snek)

Edited by Chickalo, May 3 2021 - 4:30 AM.

• Kaelwizard and Lillyrose like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2021 - 4:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You're right, Chickalo. That worker is 100% castaneus.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#38 Offline NicholasP - Posted May 3 2021 - 8:51 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

You have possibly found prenolepis queen. It looks very similar to the queens that I have in my journal on my prenolepis.

#39 Offline Lillyrose - Posted May 3 2021 - 8:56 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

You have possibly found prenolepis queen. It looks very similar to the queens that I have in my journal on my prenolepis.

I thought mine was a formica?

In other news .. the original colony that I was maybe going to try and introduce workers from is gone... they def relocated

#40 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 3 2021 - 9:24 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

No it's definitely Formica, Prenolepis queens have a maroon-brown hue for their heads and thorax and the gaster a golden-brown.  This has a black-orange head and gaster while it has a dark orange thorax.

• Lillyrose likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users