• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NA Ants EXPLODING Pogonomyrmex Journal w/pictures

ants ant antkeeping subnitidus pogonomyrmex antcolony

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted May 13 2021 - 11:32 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Ok so for some reason I feel like the population just went way down during the past few days. Not sure what to do, they have seeds, sugars and insects, maybe a generation just died? Also, I am not seeing many new workers. I gave them some "clay" from outside, because they were digging in sand and I was pretty worried about them caving in, maybe that's what happened to the workers? Anyway, they had started to dig out in the dirt from outside. Mealworms aren't being eaten. what to do??

What formicarium are they in? It is very possible that a generation died. If the queen stops laying eggs or there just aren't many new workers, it could mean they are not getting the proper temps or protein consumption. What state are you located in?

California,

oh, well they have a test tube but have decided to start digging and moved in, I heat them with a heating cable, but I was kinda worried because the plastic formicarium they were in has pretty thick sides, so I started using a heat lamp. 

#42 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted May 24 2021 - 11:34 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

ok so I think I am going to move these guys into a mini hearth, how should I do this?

#43 Offline Broncos - Posted May 30 2021 - 10:14 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

ok so I think I am going to move these guys into a mini hearth, how should I do this?

Great idea! the mini hearth is a fantastic formicarium. Are these ants in a tubs and tubes setup? If so, you're going to want to grab the test tube and put the open part of the test tube against the floor of the foraging area of the mini hearth. And lean it against the acrylic of the mini hearth. Then just use a q-tip or cotton swab to collect the foraging workers in the tubs and tubes setup. Just be careful not to get stung. And prepare the mini hearth before introducing the ants.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, ant, antkeeping, subnitidus, pogonomyrmex, antcolony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users