• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NA Ants EXPLODING Pogonomyrmex Journal w/pictures

ants ant antkeeping subnitidus pogonomyrmex antcolony

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted April 23 2021 - 11:49 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I really enjoy your journal, pics, and videos. I used to own a small Pogonomyrmex colony and would like to own another. Wonderful ants.

In the past I fed my Pogonomyrmex Chia and Poppy seeds with cut up, thawed out crickets.

Good luck with your journal, and I hope to see more!

#22 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 24 2021 - 5:46 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I really enjoy your journal, pics, and videos. I used to own a small Pogonomyrmex colony and would like to own another. Wonderful ants.

In the past I fed my Pogonomyrmex Chia and Poppy seeds with cut up, thawed out crickets.

Good luck with your journal, and I hope to see more!

thanks for the help! wish u luck to get a pogonomyrmex colony, they are awesome for beginners and experts.

• MrPurpleB likes this

#23 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 27 2021 - 1:47 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Ants first time eating mealworm, with newly eclosed worker

Edited by NoveltyAntsYT, April 28 2021 - 8:22 PM.

• Broncos and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#24 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 28 2021 - 10:24 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

This new camera really captures their color, but it is not perfect.

#25 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 28 2021 - 10:26 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I am was told by an ant keeper that these guys don't need much seeds, but instead, loads of insects, and I think that is so true. I haven't been feeding seeds and they are doing great. But also they love sugar water to the point where if I put some sugar water in cotton they kinda swarm it. :whistle:

#26 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 28 2021 - 10:34 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Update, they have brought the mealworm inside their test tube! New workers are still hatching.

#27 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 28 2021 - 11:37 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Update, they have brought the mealworm inside their test tube! New workers are still hatching.

its eclosing btw

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#28 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 28 2021 - 8:21 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

its eclosing btw

yeah my bad.

#29 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 29 2021 - 3:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I am was told by an ant keeper that these guys don't need much seeds, but instead, loads of insects, and I think that is so true. I haven't been feeding seeds and they are doing great. But also they love sugar water to the point where if I put some sugar water in cotton they kinda swarm it. :whistle:

That isn't true. They are called harvester ants for a reason. That is what they evolved to feed on and it is what they eat in nature. They might like insects and sugar water, but seeds need to be the primary food and should be offered the most.

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#30 Offline Broncos - Posted April 29 2021 - 10:06 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

you're novelty ants on YouTube right? And harvetser ants do eat a lot of seeds. For some reason my subnitidius didn't. that's why i went for walnuts.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#31 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 29 2021 - 12:28 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

you're novelty ants on YouTube right? And harvetser ants do eat a lot of seeds. For some reason my subnitidius didn't. that's why i went for walnuts.

yeah my bad, honestly I am feeding seeds but I am trying to also give insects and sugar. 

#32 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 29 2021 - 12:31 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

That isn't true. They are called harvester ants for a reason. That is what they evolved to feed on and it is what they eat in nature. They might like insects and sugar water, but seeds need to be the primary food and should be offered the most.

tbh I do feed seeds but no matter what kind I offer, they mostly decline and only a few seeds do I ever seem them eating and even then they never take them into the nest. yea though ur right, sry.

My friend might give me some spare blue grass seeds, so that's nice

Edited by NoveltyAntsYT, April 29 2021 - 12:30 PM.

#33 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 29 2021 - 12:34 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

tbh I do feed seeds but no matter what kind I offer, they mostly decline and only a few seeds do I ever seem them eating and even then they never take them into the nest. yea though ur right, sry.

not trying 2 b mean or anything like that but I just think that a lot of people think that insects don't have to be offered but I feel like they thrive with a variety of protein, and I have seeds in their outworld but they don't seem to be interested however I am trying to find more they will take in and actually eat kinda worried about them tbh

#34 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 29 2021 - 12:48 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

yeah my bad, honestly I am feeding seeds but I am trying to also give insects and sugar. 

and yea I am having the same problem rn, 

#35 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 29 2021 - 2:01 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

not trying 2 b mean or anything like that but I just think that a lot of people think that insects don't have to be offered but I feel like they thrive with a variety of protein, and I have seeds in their outworld but they don't seem to be interested however I am trying to find more they will take in and actually eat kinda worried about them tbh

They most definitely do thrive with insects and I'm glad you are offering them, but my point was that seeds are their primary source of food. If they won't accept seeds I would just experiment with various nuts and other types of seeds. I would keep giving them sugar water if they don't accept any other source of carbohydrates.

#36 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted April 29 2021 - 8:38 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

They most definitely do thrive with insects and I'm glad you are offering them, but my point was that seeds are their primary source of food. If they won't accept seeds I would just experiment with various nuts and other types of seeds. I would keep giving them sugar water if they don't accept any other source of carbohydrates.

agreed.

#37 Offline Broncos - Posted May 4 2021 - 11:40 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

This is very true but insects offer the most raw protein. More than most seeds and nuts. Although you could just feed seeds and nuts, insects are a healthier diet for growing larva and it may help the queen produce healthier and more eggs.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#38 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted May 12 2021 - 9:31 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Ok so for some reason I feel like the population just went way down during the past few days. Not sure what to do, they have seeds, sugars and insects, maybe a generation just died? Also, I am not seeing many new workers. I gave them some "clay" from outside, because they were digging in sand and I was pretty worried about them caving in, maybe that's what happened to the workers? Anyway, they had started to dig out in the dirt from outside. Mealworms aren't being eaten. what to do??

#39 Offline Broncos - Posted May 13 2021 - 10:17 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Ok so for some reason I feel like the population just went way down during the past few days. Not sure what to do, they have seeds, sugars and insects, maybe a generation just died? Also, I am not seeing many new workers. I gave them some "clay" from outside, because they were digging in sand and I was pretty worried about them caving in, maybe that's what happened to the workers? Anyway, they had started to dig out in the dirt from outside. Mealworms aren't being eaten. what to do??

What formicarium are they in? It is very possible that a generation died. If the queen stops laying eggs or there just aren't many new workers, it could mean they are not getting the proper temps or protein consumption. What state are you located in?

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#40 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted May 13 2021 - 11:31 AM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

What formicarium are they in? It is very possible that a generation died. If the queen stops laying eggs or there just aren't many new workers, it could mean they are not getting the proper temps or protein consumption. What state are you located in?

California,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, ant, antkeeping, subnitidus, pogonomyrmex, antcolony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users