• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this a good place for ant hunting?

ant hunting trail forest river

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 17 2021 - 11:31 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Hallo once again, people of Formiculture

So I've been searching google earth for possible areas near me good for queen ant hunting.  Eventually I came up with this location:  https://www.alltrail...ts/forest-river

This one seems better than the other ones with water sources I've been too (one is a small vernal pool, the other is small and only has a small point of access.  There's another one but its extremely gross, and the final has multiple, but really thick in foliage and rumours of deformed fish and turtles).  It's next to a campus but I'm pretty sure it's open to the public.

According to google maps it'll take around 15-20 minutes to bike to, so it's pretty close.  From the looks on it it has side bits to walk on (though somewhere on Google Earth I saw marsh...), and it's somewhat open so they might nest underneath rocks to get warmth.

Thanks for the help,

An anonymous Chickalo

シグナチャーです。예.

#2 Offline UtahAnts - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:13 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I wouldn't recommend the marshy bog areas, but the area with the river and forest looks good, I find most of my ants in areas with a moving body of water that flows through a forested area.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#3 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:24 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Seems fine but I think you might be a bit early. It’s still a bit chilly for nuptial flights. For what it’s worth, I’m in Concord, south of Route 2. I spent weeks walking nearby nature paths with a backpack full of test tubes 24-48 hours after thunderstorms finding nothing, only to catch all of my queens in my back yard (8 queens over 4 anting seasons). And I’m not counting the one I found one morning when I came down for coffee!

AE5C2CAB 20E7 4677 B6F9 3F64B7F6DE3A

Sadly she’d been treading water too long and didn’t survive. After years of trying, my first successful anting season was 2018. Of my 5 catches, I had 3 long term survivors that founded 3 colonies. I’ve not been so much into catching many more queens as I find feeding, cleaning, and watering what I have enough to keep me busy. All this is to say just keep your eyes open, and a test tube handy. Queens can turn up anywhere!

• BugFinder, ANTdrew, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 17 2021 - 6:38 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Hallo once again, people of Formiculture

So I've been searching google earth for possible areas near me good for queen ant hunting.  Eventually I came up with this location:  https://www.alltrail...ts/forest-river

This one seems better than the other ones with water sources I've been too (one is a small vernal pool, the other is small and only has a small point of access.  There's another one but its extremely gross, and the final has multiple, but really thick in foliage and rumours of deformed fish and turtles).  It's next to a campus but I'm pretty sure it's open to the public.

According to google maps it'll take around 15-20 minutes to bike to, so it's pretty close.  From the looks on it it has side bits to walk on (though somewhere on Google Earth I saw marsh...), and it's somewhat open so they might nest underneath rocks to get warmth.

Thanks for the help,
An anonymous Chickalo

if its a marshy bog you could find hibernating lasius minutus queens. Chthonolasius hibernate in logs until it gets just warm enough for them to sneak into still hibernating host colonies. Who knows, you may even find active queens.
  • DDD101DDD and Chickalo like this

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted March 17 2021 - 11:59 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

My personal experience in "anting" is that almost any location will have at least one species living in it, such is the diversity of the Formicidae.  Areas that offer varied microclimates: shaded leafy areas vs sunny grassy vs moss covered stones vs fallen tree with loose bark etc will all have different genera and species.  They will also require, by the way, at times different approaches to collecting.  Remember not all ants start colonies under stones that are easily flipped over.  We have already had some nuptial flights here in East Tennessee, so as the weather warms the ants will be on the move!  Good luck and happy anting!!!

• YsTheAnt, DDD101DDD, Chickalo and 1 other like this

#6 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 18 2021 - 1:08 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I ant in a street in a neighboring town, that is very close to my neighborhood. (I live near the border). The important characteristics are that there are relatively undisturbed forests, in a lightly developed road area and some houses. Ants are very easy to see on recently paved roads.There is a great diversity of ant species. I've caught Lasius species, Crematogaster, Camponotous species, and Formica. Near highly disturbed areas, such as fields, and deforested areas, you'll probably only find Tetramorium and Lasius Neoniger, maybe Camponotous if there is a neighboring forest with some large colonies.

Edited by Temperateants, March 18 2021 - 1:09 PM.

• Chickalo likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant hunting, trail, forest, river

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users