• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Another Virginia Wasp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AUGUAG - Posted March 3 2021 - 2:49 PM

AUGUAG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

Hello again! It seems we've had another warm spell here in Roanoke and we've got a bunch of wasps thinking that it's time to come out of hibernation. This time I've got no idea whether she (?) is a paper wasp, a solitary wasp, or what she could be. Pictures don't really do her justice, but I tried adjusting them a bit to get an idea of her color scheme. One thing that I could not capture on camera but that could prove useful is that, in the sunlight, her wings were iridescent blue/indigo. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Images

• WaspID3 3-3-21.jpg
  • WaspID2 3-3-21.jpg
  • WaspID1 3-3-21.jpg

#2 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted March 3 2021 - 3:25 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Its a foundress, looks like polistes fuscatus. 

• AUGUAG likes this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 3 2021 - 3:43 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Polistes metricus queen.

Edited by Manitobant, March 3 2021 - 3:44 PM.

• AUGUAG likes this

#4 Offline mmcguffi - Posted March 3 2021 - 4:07 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Very cool! Polistes are neat

Random question -- are you a biologist? Your username means M* (start, stop) read as translated codons

• AUGUAG likes this

#5 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 3 2021 - 4:17 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Hello again! It seems we've had another warm spell here in Roanoke and we've got a bunch of wasps thinking that it's time to come out of hibernation. This time I've got no idea whether she (?) is a paper wasp, a solitary wasp, or what she could be. Pictures don't really do her justice, but I tried adjusting them a bit to get an idea of her color scheme. One thing that I could not capture on camera but that could prove useful is that, in the sunlight, her wings were iridescent blue/indigo. Thanks in advance for the help!

hello, good job on your find! here's a link to a wasp/bee keeping discord that our fellow member stricky moderates: https://discord.gg/AXrVZWKpin this place you can talk about wasps, bees, and other animals. 

• AUGUAG likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#6 Offline AUGUAG - Posted March 3 2021 - 4:33 PM

AUGUAG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

Thank you everyone, once again, for the help. She definitely seems more like Polistes metricus than fuscatas, but I appreciate all of the input nonetheless!

Very cool! Polistes are neat

Random question -- are you a biologist? Your username means M* (start, stop) read as translated codons

Hehe, I was wondering when I was going to get questioned about that. I am not employed as a biologist, but I majored in biology in college (focused on plant biology; considering how much I use/will use my degree I'd have been better served focusing on insects!). I chose my username based on my old Reddit account, which I made back in 2016 while I was still considering a career in plant genetics.

hello, good job on your find! here's a link to a wasp/bee keeping discord that our fellow member stricky moderates: https://discord.gg/AXrVZWKpin this place you can talk about wasps, bees, and other animals. 

Thanks for the link! I'm not much of a Discord person but it seems that is where people are moving toward for serious discussion on niche topics so I'll consider taking a look!

#7 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 4 2021 - 7:49 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Discords can be good for a lot of stuff. Just like anything else though, some are better than others. If you're interested in ants, you might like AKE (Ant keeping and ethology).

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#8 Offline AleeGuy - Posted March 4 2021 - 8:38 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Discords can be good for a lot of stuff. Just like anything else though, some are better than others. If you're interested in ants, you might like AKE (Ant keeping and ethology).

Yep, there is handful of ant keeping discord servers(big servers such as Ants and Ant Keeping, Ant-Keeping & Ethology, smaller/younger ones like Arthropod Antics, AntsDakota, The Menagerie, Canadian Bug Keepers) that you can get answers to your questions ASAP(<minute-5 mins).
  • TennesseeAnts and Spazmops like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users