• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wasp ID from Virginia

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AUGUAG - Posted February 24 2021 - 2:14 PM

AUGUAG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

Greetings everyone! I've been a long time lurker over here at Formiculture, but this is my first time ever posting, so I hope everything goes through properly. I am much more acquainted with ants than wasps, but when I saw this sweet girl (boy?) climbing on the side of a building here in Roanoke, Virginia I knew I had to bring her/him over here for an I.D. Based on an earlier post from KitsAntsVa from November, s/he seems to be some species of Polistes, but my real question is whether this is a queen, worker, or male. From my understanding, males and workers are pretty rare in the winter, but we had our warmest day today than we've had all year (we had a high of 72, just a week after getting snow) so I thought I would ask before I took her/him home (and possibly away from his/her colony). Apologies for the terrible quality, s/he would not sit still for very long. If you need anything else I'd be happy to provide it if I can! Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Images

• WaspID2 2-24-21.jpg
  • WaspID3 2-24-21.jpg
  • WaspID4 2-24-21.jpg
  • WaspID 2-24-21.jpg

• TechAnt likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 24 2021 - 2:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome, fellow Virginian. I’m surprised you guys got that much warmer than we did today in Alexandria. That’s definitely Polistes.
  • AUGUAG likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 24 2021 - 2:33 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Polistes dorsalis queen. You should keep her.
  • AUGUAG likes this

#4 Offline TechAnt - Posted February 24 2021 - 2:34 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Welcome to the forum! I also agree with ANTdrew and Manitobant, though I am not too well knowledged on Wasps.

Edited by TechAnt, February 24 2021 - 2:34 PM.

• AUGUAG likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#5 Offline AUGUAG - Posted February 24 2021 - 3:02 PM

AUGUAG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, VA

Man, you guys never fail to absolutely rock my socks when it comes to identification.

Welcome, fellow Virginian. I’m surprised you guys got that much warmer than we did today in Alexandria. That’s definitely Polistes.

I'm honestly still in shock over how hot it was. It felt like a warm summer day, yet the grass was dormant and the trees were leafless. Absolutely mind boggling.

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 24 2021 - 3:59 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
It will likely be a while before she initiates a nest, as its still winter. Let her hibernate like you hibernate ants until spring and then set her up like this video:
  • AUGUAG likes this

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted February 24 2021 - 8:51 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

It will likely be a while before she initiates a nest, as its still winter. Let her hibernate like you hibernate ants until spring and then set her up like this video:

Has this type of housing actually been tried successfully with a new queen that actually started a nest?  Not one collected with a new nest as in the end of the video.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 24 2021 - 8:58 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Has this type of housing actually been tried successfully with a new queen that actually started a nest?  Not one collected with a new nest as in the end of the video.
yes, he has done it with a lone queen in other videos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users