• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is sunburst better than sugar water?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 5 2021 - 7:31 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I'd like to thank everyone for their participation, feedback, and questions in this thread.  Unfortunately, the discussion has veered vastly off the original topic and the other discussions ongoing would be better discussed in their own thread.  Doing so would make the information easier to find for other users interested in the same topic.

I agree and would like to apologize for being responsible for a lot of it.

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this

#42 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:19 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Many people do feed urea to their captive Camponotus colonies.

how does one go about that?   I had a joke ready about pissing in my ants outworld, but it was a serious question.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#43 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:20 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

how does one go about that? I had a joke ready about pissing in my ants outworld, but it was a serious question.
Someone did something similar... Most people collect urea from bird feces. I heard somewhere that roaches are a good source of it as well.

Edited by Kaelwizard, March 5 2021 - 8:22 AM.

• BugFinder likes this

#44 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:24 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

How long does sunburst last in the refrigerator after being opened?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#45 Offline AleeGuy - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:38 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

I believe the Blochmannia use urea to help the Camponotus get amino acids or something like that. When looking it up it was a little too complicated for me to understand.

https://bmcbiol.biom.../1741-7007-5-48
after 90 days feeding Camponotus with 15N tagged urea the results of it was this:

Urease function was confirmed by feeding experiments using 15N-labelled urea. GC-MS analysis of 15N-enrichment of free amino acids in workers revealed significant labelling of the non-essential amino acids alanine, glycine, aspartic acid, and glutamic acid, as well as of the essential amino acids methionine and phenylalanine.

I'm not sure what type of urea is it so don't know if human urea will work out but it does actually helps :thinking:.

Edit: Sorry for still taking about it, didn't noticed the post from Drtmiller.

Edited by AleeGuy, March 5 2021 - 8:45 AM.

#46 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:43 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

yes. I'm pretty sure Wegmier did that for his camponotus colony.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#47 Offline AleeGuy - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:44 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

yes. I'm pretty sure Wegmier did that for his camponotus colony.
Same, I've seen people do it on Discord.

Edited by AleeGuy, March 5 2021 - 8:45 AM.

#48 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:50 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Sunburst doesn't require refrigeration, and I don't refrigerate the Sunburst I personally use because the ants prefer warmer liquids.  The shelf life at room temperature is at least 6 months after opening as long as the bottle remains tightly closed when not in use.

Product degradation is primarily caused by exposure to carbon dioxide in air.  So keeping the bottle tightly closed is more important than decreasing the temperature.

The shelf life was established after a product study in Feb 2018.  There have been several improvements to the manufacturing process since then.

I have partial bottles from 2019 in which the quality control parameters I measure are virtually the same as when it was manufactured.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 5 2021 - 8:53 AM.

• BugFinder, TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#49 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:55 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Sunburst doesn't require refrigeration, and I don't refrigerate the Sunburst I personally use because the ants prefer warmer liquids.  The shelf life at room temperature is at least 6 months after opening as long as the bottle remains tightly closed when not in use.

Product degradation is primarily caused by exposure to carbon dioxide in air.  So keeping the bottle tightly closed is more important than slowing the rate of degradation by decreasing the temperature.

The shelf life was established after a product study in Feb 2018.  There have been several improvements to the manufacturing process since then.

I have partial bottles from 2019 in which the quality control parameters I measure are virtually the same as when it was manufactured.

Thanks for mentioning not to refrigerate.  I'll stop doing that.  I have a bottle from july or August 2020.  should I offer it and allow them to decide if it's ok or not, or should I discard it?  TIA.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#50 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 5 2021 - 8:59 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Product degradation is primarily caused by exposure to carbon dioxide in air.  So keeping the bottle tightly closed is more important than slowing the rate of degradation by decreasing the temperature.

Thanks for mentioning not to refrigerate.  I'll stop doing that.  I have a bottle from july or August 2020.  should I offer it and allow them to decide if it's ok or not, or should I discard it?  TIA.

Product sold last year was manufactured in the same year.  The expiration date is on the bottom left corner of the label, and is 2 years from the date of manufacture.

Sunburst that has lost its potency may have a more cloudy appearance, and/or you may observe a decrease in how receptive the ants are to it.  So if the Sunburst you have is still transparent and the ants still drink it readily, there is no need to discard or replace it.

• BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#51 Offline FSTP - Posted March 5 2021 - 5:48 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

For me Sunburst is definitely better then making and using sugar water, or hummingbird's nectar. This for the simple reason of convenience. I don't have hundreds of colonies to feed, just a hand full of large established colonies. 

• ANTdrew and MinigunL5 like this

#52 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 5 2021 - 5:58 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

For me Sunburst is definitely better then making and using sugar water, or hummingbird's nectar. This for the simple reason of convenience. I don't have hundreds of colonies to feed, just a hand full of large established colonies. 

Yeah, sunburst is definitely convenient. Some days, i just don't give my ants sugar sources because I don't want to have to prepare it for all my colonies.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#53 Offline Canadant - Posted March 7 2021 - 3:54 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Well here is another reason I use Sunburst (other than just convenience and the fact that all my ants love it) is colour coding. I have two byformica feeders in each outworld. One is yellow and one is clear (water). I can't mix them up!
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#54 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 7 2021 - 6:53 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Yeah. But you could just use food coloring in sugarwater.

#55 Offline FSTP - Posted March 7 2021 - 7:04 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Yeah. But you could just use food coloring in sugarwater.

That's true. However, personally,  I don't really like deal dealing with food coloring. It can be messy and staining. 

Edited by FSTP, March 7 2021 - 7:05 PM.

#56 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 7 2021 - 8:24 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Very true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users