• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southeastern US Nuptial Flight Chart

florida georgia texas alabama north carolina south carolina mississippi louisiana nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 10 2021 - 2:18 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

The nuptial flights of some native species are beginning in parts of Florida and the Gulf Coast states right now. With that, I've decided to go ahead and post this nuptial flight chart that I've developed throughout the last year for the southeastern states. As of now it includes about 133 different species from the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and eastern Texas. If you're in any of those places, this chart should be useful for you.

I combined flight records from iNaturalist, BugGuide, Formiculture, Discord, and my own personal records (I recorded every species that flew on every day in 2020) into a chart similar to the one dspdrew has on here, but just specific to the southeastern US and with some extra info. Hopefully Drew doesn't mind that I stole his design... it's a great one, so I couldn't resist. It took an entire year and LOTS of browsing years' worth of iNaturalist and Discord observations and messages for me to get my chart to this degree of development, so hopefully some people can find it helpful! At this point I am still improving it and adding to it as I see people begin to find queens this year. 

I'm not sure if it's possible for me to imbed this Google Sheet into this topic, but here's the link. It tells you everything you need to know in the doc.

>Link to the Nuptial Flight Chart<

• CheetoLord02, ANTdrew, Manitobant and 3 others like this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 10 2021 - 2:28 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well, once I eventually move down there this will be useful. :D

Just have to wait like 10 years.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: florida, georgia, texas, alabama, north carolina, south carolina, mississippi, louisiana, nuptial flight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users