• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking to Purchase

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline woodrocked - Posted January 12 2021 - 11:46 AM

woodrocked

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

I am brand new to this. I saw that I needed to put my location in my profile to conduct sales on the forum...I did that.

So, now who would like to guide me on purchasing ants for my sons ant jungle. 

What is the best for a 8 year old? Where can I buy them?

Thank you,

Woodrock

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#2 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 12:29 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

for observing, pogonomyrmex(harvester ants) would probably be a good choice. They are good beginner species, and eat seeds. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis are the only species that can be shipped across state lines in the U.S. without a permit. they would probably be a good choice, except they have painful stingers. you can find them on the Tar Heel ants website. also, many people have different suggestions, so I recommend you do your research, and also see what other people have to say here, and then buy. 

• woodrocked likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#3 Offline woodrocked - Posted January 12 2021 - 12:44 PM

woodrocked

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

for observing, pogonomyrmex(harvester ants) would probably be a good choice. They are good beginner species, and eat seeds. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis are the only species that can be shipped across state lines in the U.S. without a permit. they would probably be a good choice, except they have painful stingers. you can find them on the Tar Heel ants website. also, many people have different suggestions, so I recommend you do your research, and also see what other people have to say here, and then buy. 

Thank you for your info. I did a little digging around on the interwebs and noticed one place ( i am assuming a residence) in St. Louis, MO is selling ants. I have messaged, but not much communication so far. I also have contact Antsalive in UT and there is zero communication from that site as well. 

We shall see.

Woodrock

#4 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 1:34 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

You contacted Antsalive for pogonomyrmex occidentalis right? if its something else, you wouldn't be able to buy from that state.

Ants I am keeping:

#5 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 1:46 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

wait nevermind they only sell harvesters

• woodrocked likes this

Ants I am keeping:

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 12 2021 - 1:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Thank you for your info. I did a little digging around on the interwebs and noticed one place ( i am assuming a residence) in St. Louis, MO is selling ants. I have messaged, but not much communication so far. I also have contact Antsalive in UT and there is zero communication from that site as well.

We shall see.

Woodrock
I would not recommend ‘ant farms’ or queen-colonies (only workers, most ants you’ll find online including the ones you mentioned) for anyone. You’ll get much more fulfillment and a more accurate education for your child if you catch and raise a colony from a queen ant yourself. Use these links to begin:

https://www.formicul...e-for-beginners

https://www.formicul...atch-queen-ants

As you can see, humane, correct, true ant keeping preaches a whole different message than Uncle Milton.

Edited by AntsDakota, January 12 2021 - 1:52 PM.

• Manitobant, Swirlysnowflake and woodrocked like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 12 2021 - 5:36 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Whatever you do don’t put a queen in that ant jungle thing. She will likely die.

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted January 12 2021 - 6:40 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

ant farms do not provide the right temps, humidity, and other factors for queens to live. of course, if you just want to keep ants, then they will work just fine. hopefully, everyone including myself are not going too much over your head for you! if you just want ants, try either amazon for pogonomyrmex(harvester ants) or someone in your state that has a big colony.  remember, though, in these setups, the ants will die eventually. if you want a queen, you will need to buy something different and more expensive, which you may not want to do. if you are looking for easy to keep queens, tetramorium(pavement ants) are easy to keep. hopefully that helps!

Ants_Dakota

I am brand new to this. I saw that I needed to put my location in my profile to conduct sales on the forum...I did that.

Thank you,

Woodrock

also, great for putting your location in your profile! not many people do that without us telling them to!

Edited by Ants_Dakota, January 12 2021 - 6:41 PM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#9 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted January 13 2021 - 9:47 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Thank you,

Woodrock

There’s something called nuptial flight coming soon and I think you and them could have fun catching them and raising them on your own. I find that it is much more enjoyable when you do it this way. I definitely recommend you get some test tubes and try to find a queen ant from around your area and make sure to do research first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users