• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Experimental Process of Creating Multispecies Ant Colonies

multispecies colony multispecies

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 11 2021 - 2:08 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Camponotus hyatti, vicinus, and qeuricola. Initial introduction seems alright, minimal aggression from the quericola queen. All 3 of these were taken from founding colonies with workers, I'll add the workers one by one if the peace lasts. It seems that dunking in vinegar and the subsequent lack or reduction of identification odors curbs the aggression of the stripped ant. Other ants will still react to a stripped ant with aggression, but all or most stripped ants are oblivious or docile towards any other ant. Experiments with C. vicinus and quericola workers shows that stripped ants will not retaliate if attacked. One quericola worker lost a mandible and the use of a leg but never tried to fight back or even run away from the aggressor. At most they picked up the pace of movement but never changed direction because of the attack.

CSC_2025.JPG

CSC_2020.JPG

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 5 others like this

#22 Offline Amatty76 - Posted January 11 2021 - 7:46 PM

Amatty76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationFort Atkinson, Wisconsin, USA

I introduced a Camponotus Nearcticus queen to my Camponotus Novaeboracensis queen as well as 2 Camponotus Pennsylvanicus minors, Hopefully the Nearcticus queen isn’t chomped in half next time i see them.

• Jonathan5608 likes this

#23 Offline Robert_123 - Posted January 12 2021 - 1:32 AM

Robert_123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Multispecies colony ( 7 species of Camponotus)

• AnthonyP163, Scherme, akaant and 5 others like this

#24 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 12 2021 - 6:33 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

This is really awesome thread! Have you tried or planning on doing this experiment with 2 but both polygynous queens of different species?

As of right now, we are attempting to work with the species we have access to which is limited due to winter. Many of these species are not polygynous. If I understand what you are saying correctly you mean two queens of each species, correct? Such as two tetramorium bicarinatum queens combined with two crematogaster lineolata queens?

No I mean 2 queens(in total) of different species but they both are poly. I'm happy to see more experiments and more success in this thread! Nuice job peeps!

Ooh I see, id love to check that out eventually. I may even attempt it with my monomorium minimum and solenopsis molesta depending if I can pull queens out. 

I would definitely give a lasius brevi queen for this (or take someone elses poly queen, tho I'm probably gonna mess up lol), i also heard someone has seen some tapinoma sessile workers on the other side of town so this summer i could try and find some queens to use???

シグナチャーです。예.

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 12 2021 - 7:35 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and Amatty76 like this

#26 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 8:32 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

After reading this, I am thinking, what is the point of multispecies colonies in captivity? why do the different species work together and create colonies? how does this benefit them, and how does this benefit the people creating multispecies polygynous queens? 

Edited by antsandmore, January 12 2021 - 8:32 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#27 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 12 2021 - 2:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

After reading this, I am thinking, what is the point of multispecies colonies in captivity? why do the different species work together and create colonies? how does this benefit them, and how does this benefit the people creating multispecies polygynous queens? 

The two species work together because artificial processes make them think they're the same colony. It's not voluntary like natural polygyny or symbiosis. It doesn't benefit them except for increasing the workforce, and it benefits us by both further increasing our knowledge of how colony recognition works and just being an interesting project to spend time on.

• AnthonyP163 and Scherme like this

#28 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 3:09 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

thank you! that's what I wanted to know. 

Ants I am keeping:

#29 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 13 2021 - 2:51 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I want to note that the two Lasius which I combined (brevicornis and cf. crypticus) are doing well. I gave them a brevicornis pupa and then they began laying their own eggs, meaning they're beyond tolerance and are founding together. 

• antsandmore likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#30 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 13 2021 - 2:55 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

I want to note that the two Lasius which I combined (brevicornis and cf. crypticus) are doing well. I gave them a brevicornis pupa and then they began laying their own eggs, meaning they're beyond tolerance and are founding together. 

that is awesome. I want to do this with different myrmecocystus spp. once I can catch massive amounts lol. (unless this is stupid and can't happen)

• Moonant01 likes this

Ants I am keeping:

#31 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 13 2021 - 3:14 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

that is awesome. I want to do this with different myrmecocystus spp. once I can catch massive amounts lol. (unless this is stupid and can't happen)

that is very very risky

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#32 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 13 2021 - 3:43 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

not only is it a risky process but honey pots are hard to keep

• antsandmore likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#33 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 14 2021 - 5:04 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

i keep on putting it aside...

ill post a day after i mix myrmica and tetramorium immigrans, to see how they react to each other (in discord someone told me not to because tetramorium is a "little war demon")

the one thing I'm afraid of is accidentally hurting the myrmica queen after taking her out of the white vinegar since I only have one of them...

hopefully they lay in spring

シグナチャーです。예.

#34 Offline madbiologist - Posted January 14 2021 - 6:30 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

ill post a day after i mix myrmica and tetramorium immigrans, to see how they react to each other (in discord someone told me not to because tetramorium is a "little war demon")
the one thing I'm afraid of is accidentally hurting the myrmica queen after taking her out of the white vinegar since I only have one of them...

If you aren't okay with the Myrmica queen dying, I would not try mixing them.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

#35 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 14 2021 - 6:49 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

I'm fine with her dying, i just don't want to kill the myrmica queen before the test because then i won't have any other queen I'm willing to mix with

シグナチャーです。예.

#36 Offline madbiologist - Posted January 14 2021 - 6:52 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I'm fine with her dying, i just don't want to kill the myrmica queen before the test because then i won't have any other queen I'm willing to mix with
Ah, I misread. You can use a q-tips to easily take them out.

#37 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 14 2021 - 8:10 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Ah, I misread. You can use a q-tips to easily take them out.

okay thanks

シグナチャーです。예.

#38 Online OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 14 2021 - 9:46 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Question about the vinegar. Are you using plain white vinegar? If so, is it diluted at all?

Or are you literally dunking queens in a full strength 5% acidity solution from the grocery store bin for up to 20 seconds?

Are they submerged fully?

In other words how is it done?

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#39 Offline Amatty76 - Posted January 14 2021 - 9:52 AM

Amatty76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationFort Atkinson, Wisconsin, USA

Question about the vinegar. Are you using plain white vinegar? If so, is it diluted at all?

Or are you literally dunking queens in a full strength 5% acidity solution from the grocery store bin for up to 20 seconds?

Diluted or non diluted works, I would dunk them for 10-20 seconds then handle them for a bit till they’re mostly dried off as well as using q-tips or cotton to dry them off. And i’ve only used white vinegar for this.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#40 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 14 2021 - 10:21 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Diluted or non diluted works, I would dunk them for 10-20 seconds then handle them for a bit till they’re mostly dried off as well as using q-tips or cotton to dry them off. And i’ve only used white vinegar for this.

someone should make an instructional video (or i will 0:) actually i might do it today and record so

シグナチャーです。예.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users