• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New product! I need some feedback.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be interested? Would you buy? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Thanks for the feeback!

1. Yes! I am certainly interested and might buy! (2 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. It's cool. I might buy if I need an outworld. (7 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Ehhh, doesn't do anything for me. (2 votes [14.29%] - View)

4. No, not really interested. (2 votes [14.29%] - View)

5. Definitely not. Wouldn't use or buy. (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline Devi - Posted January 10 2021 - 6:13 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Hello FC!

I wanted to let you know of a new product I am formulating.  It all came from earlier this year.  I have a tetra colony with about 30 workers, and a formica colony with nanitics.  I put them in a mini hearth, because they needed an outworld, but quite frankly, the nest is too big for them, and unnecessary.  The idea here, is that you'd have a test tube connected to this small outworld, so that small colonies could live in a test tube, but still have foraging space.  I am going to be selling premium outworlds for small colonies and queens.  They are 4x4x4, have a tight fitting lid, and are premium acrylic.  I am going to have a small bottom layer of hydrostone, coated in sand, with decorations as well.  I believe they are going to be sold for $15.  There will also be connection ports that you can personalize, for example, you can pick the sizes and placement.  The default size will be 3/8 inch OD.  What do you guys think?  Please let me know, any and all advice is appreciated!

-Devi

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#2 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 10 2021 - 7:11 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

It would totally depend on the execution. Most people doing test tubes already have pretty compact set ups (tubes inside tubs, with either a molded bottom to hold the test tube, or in my case, velcro to hold the test tube). Having the tube in the bin is more space efficient and reduces the chances of problems from detachments, bumping into it, etc.

If it's done really well then it would be possibly interesting, though. Photos would definitely help for making the call.

Maybe if it's dual-purpose and could also serve as an extra outworld for traditional set-ups (e.g. could attach easily to a mini-hearth)?

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, January 10 2021 - 7:12 PM.

• Devi likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 10 2021 - 7:15 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

https://canada-ant-c...rated-outworlds

Similar?

• Ants_Dakota and Devi like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Devi - Posted January 10 2021 - 7:41 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
Oh, come on. You've got to be kidding me. I promise I didn't try to copy you, I've never seen that before. Well, nevermind. I don't want to copy another seller so I will have to come up with something else. Sorry about that everyone.

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 10 2021 - 9:02 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Oh nah nah, feel free to take inspiration or whatnot. I just thought it was funny that we had the same idea

• Ants_Dakota likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 11 2021 - 4:26 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Well I'm sure neither of you are the only ones anyway, so it doesn't matter that much.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted January 12 2021 - 6:43 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Oh, come on. You've got to be kidding me. I promise I didn't try to copy you, I've never seen that before. Well, nevermind. I don't want to copy another seller so I will have to come up with something else. Sorry about that everyone.

had that happen before... :facepalm: great minds think alike, i guess!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Offline Scherme - Posted January 13 2021 - 4:47 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Well I'm sure neither of you are the only ones anyway, so it doesn't matter that much.

^this.

I bought a pack of similar 4 inch cubes with lids and also 3 inch cubes for my outworlds. Found em on amazon while looking for something similar to THA outworlds. They do not look to be as thick as Canadian Anters.

Also realized someone else I know who 3d prints his own nests uses these cubes for outworlds. 

I haven't decorated mine as of yet because they were a rush job but I still have a few I haven't touched.

Doesn't make this idea, or Canadian Anters outworlds any less of a good idea.

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users