• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Labidus praedator, captivity, implications, anything.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Neoponera2.0 - Posted January 5 2021 - 9:09 PM

Neoponera2.0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi! good evening, you may remember me form my parasitic solenopsis thing, i proved it was real in the discord antkeeping server.

anyways, as you might know, i live in Monterrey nuevoleon mexico, now exactly today in the after noon, i saw an extremely big paratrechina longicornis move, this was too big, even for paratrechina, between the scouring workers i spotted a larger, black head an tailed one, now, i thought these where neivayrmex at first, but they where identified as labidus praedator. the colony was very small, about 50 workers and a small nest inside a wall.

i know the implications of neivamyrmex, but not these guys, I'm planning on getting them soon, I've discussed this with daniel kronauer very briefly and he commented that, to my surprise, it is ok if it is for research purposes.

now, ill make this clear, I'm no scientist, but I've been in the forefront of studying ants that are common in the mexican ant community, I've traced out every little detail of the species i can get my hands on, I'm addicted to it, the last ones i need to watch are, leptogenys, pachycondyla, neivamyrmex, and well now labidus.

please keep the ethics of keeping them out of the discussion, but feel free to express your disapproval. 

if you have any experience, registered info about what they need,what hours do they make their colony move, anything. please help me out

what i will give back is probably one of the most detailed descriptions of their needs, preferences, behaviors, practically anything, to help out the next keeper who might someday own them.

thank you all in advance.

• AnthonyP163 and TennesseeAnts like this

#2 Offline Neoponera2.0 - Posted January 5 2021 - 9:14 PM

Neoponera2.0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

for image requesting, my discord is superfly23#2819

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 5 2021 - 11:33 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I have experience with Neivamyrmex, and let me tell you, its NOT easy. Labidus even get far larger colonies than Neivamyrmex do. They will require massive (daily) feedings of ant brood and other insects like crickets, roaches, things like that. I won't encourage you to attempt this, as its ultimately (in my opinion) best to leave most Army Ants to the pros and people that work in a lab and get funding for their projects, as Labidus will get expensive, quickly.

Good luck if you attempt keeping them, though.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, January 5 2021 - 11:34 PM.

• gcsnelling and CheetoLord02 like this

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 6 2021 - 9:28 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Labidus can actually be easier than neivamyrmex in some respects because they have a more generalized diet and also don't have pronounced nomadic/statary phases. They move irregularly like dorylus. You should still provide a setup where they can move to new nests though.

Edited by Manitobant, January 6 2021 - 9:29 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 6 2021 - 9:34 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Labidus can actually be easier than neivamyrmex in some respects because they have a more generalized diet and also don't have pronounced nomadic/statary phases. They move irregularly like dorylus. You should still provide a setup where they can move to new nests though.

Labidus can escape a bit easier than Neivamyrmex, though, so watch out for that.

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 6 2021 - 1:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The main difficulty for labidus comes from their size, with an estimated over 1 million individuals. They don't seem to form above ground bivouacs either so try to provide colonies with premade nesting boxes. As with the majority of large dorylines, they may have a more generalized diet, but they require far more food than neivamyrmex (taking up to 75% of the leaflitter biomass as food during their swarm raids). I really wouldn't recommend anyone try keeping these.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 6 2021 - 1:50 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

The main difficulty for labidus comes from their size, with an estimated over 1 million individuals. They don't seem to form above ground bivouacs either so try to provide colonies with premade nesting boxes. As with the majority of large dorylines, they may have a more generalized diet, but they require far more food than neivamyrmex (taking up to 75% of the leaflitter biomass as food during their swarm raids). I really wouldn't recommend anyone try keeping these.

Exactly. 

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 6 2021 - 2:46 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Be sure to take lots of pics and videos this time and post them here or Instagram or YouTube.

Also an easy way to get lots of food in my experience is to collect insects at a light trap. You can get thousands of suitable feeders a night in the tropics.

Edited by Manitobant, January 6 2021 - 2:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users