• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AnthonyP163's Myrmica Spp. Journal

myrmica myrmica spatulata anthonyp163

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 26 2020 - 3:15 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

12/26/20

This is the beginning of my Myrmica journal. 

Myrmica spatulata

The main attraction of this journal right now is Myrmica spatulata complex. I caught a lot of these queens on September 6th, 2020 in a sand prairie in the west of Wisconsin. Myrmica spatulata form large colonies in prairies, are bright red, have medium-large sized queens for Myrmica, and grow relatively quickly. 

At the start, I had a two queen group that I focused on. These two queens were a bit different in size and color, but both spatulata. This will be the main colony of spatulata.

9/10/20

Just days after catching

11/14/20

My Myrmica from the sand prairie all began getting workers around this time.

11/19/20

The colony began growing pretty decently at this time, still 2 queens and ~4 workers.

12/26/20

I don't have current photos, but as of today, the queens have fought. The larger, brighter queen killed the smaller, darker queen. The colony has around 10 workers and a good amount of brood. The next update should hold current photos.

Myrmica cf. discontinua

I caught quite a few of these queens in the summer out in sandy areas. I am unsure about the identity of these ants, because discontinua isn't documented here, but so far it's the only species which matches.

11/14/20

This is when the colony was a decent size, but much smaller than the size it is now.

12/26/20

I don't have any photos of them from today, but right now they have about 40 workers and a lot of brood. 

Myrmica latifrons, Myrmica spatulata, Myrmica cf. discontinua, Myrmica sp.

All of the colonies were in a video I made on December 1st. Obviously, they've all grown since then. 

This genus is very good at being successful. I have a few queens of multiple species who wanted to hibernate, but the majority are able to skip hibernation without any harm. Next post will have photos. 

• CheetoLord02 and ANTdrew like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmica, myrmica spatulata, anthonyp163

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users