• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pogonomyrmex californicus Journal [60] (Discontinued)

pogonomyrmex californicus dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Crystals - Posted October 1 2013 - 11:49 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

What about a mini formicarium, just 2-4 chambers big?  You could prop it against the glass in the outworld. Would that work better?

Something like: http://i445.photobuc...zps6a351ce7.jpg

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 1 2013 - 2:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What about a mini formicarium, just 2-4 chambers big?  You could prop it against the glass in the outworld. Would that work better?

Something like: http://i445.photobuc...zps6a351ce7.jpg

Yeah, this is all just temporary, I'm in the process of designing some formicariums.

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 19 2013 - 3:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-19-2013

I moved all of these colonies into test tubes again hoping that this may help them grow. Two of the colonies were completely dead, so there is now only three colonies left. All three of these queens have only boost workers, and no workers of their own. Hopefully at least one of these queens will start laying eggs again.

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 23 2013 - 7:04 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-22-2013

I just noticed one of these queens now has a fresh batch of eggs again.  :D  I think maybe the moisture might be helping like I suspected.

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 26 2013 - 4:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-24-2013

Another one of these queens now has a couple new eggs too.

#26 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 29 2013 - 5:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-29-2013

The latest queen to lay more eggs recently ended up with some of that nasty yellow zygomycetous mold growing on something in the dirt near the water, and shortly after, her two boost workers died, leaving her with no workers at all. A few days later (yesterday), I found the queen dead too. The other queen with new eggs has a fairly large pile of eggs now.

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 11 2013 - 1:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-10-2013

I moved the colony with all the new brood into a container where they can forage. It looks like the other colony now has a couple new eggs too.

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 23 2013 - 9:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-23-2013

The colony with all the new brood is still developing more. They should soon have a few nanitics once again. The boost workers still living in both of these two remaining colonies are almost 6 months old now, so we shall see how much longer they live for. Below is a video of the colony with all the new brood.

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 29 2013 - 2:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-29-2013

Yesterday the healthiest colony just got the first nanitic it has gotten in a very long time.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 7 2013 - 7:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-7-2013

One of the colonies now has three nanitics. This same colony lost one of its three boost workers though. Nothing has changed much with the other colony though, there is still a little pile of new eggs or very small larvae.

#31 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 14 2014 - 9:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-14-2014

The colony I had in the foraging container's queen died the other day, leaving me with just one small colony with just a few boost workers. I think they might have a few eggs still, but it's hard to tell. I'm not at home right now, but when I get back in a few days, I might see if I can get the queenless workers to accept the other colony, and vice versa.

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 22 2014 - 8:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-22-2014

I put both colonies together in just a test tube without the foraging container. They fought for about a day and then pretty much stopped. Right now they all seem to be getting along except two workers I can see still biting on each other. usually when I have put Pogonomyrmex workers from different colonies together they were all friends after a few days. There's still a little bit of brood left from the queen that died.

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 1 2014 - 2:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 2-1-2014

All of the ants are getting along just fine now, with no more fighting. Not only that, but the queen has even laid a fresh batch of eggs.

#34 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 28 2014 - 5:34 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

How are your colonies doing?

Edited by Ants4fun, February 28 2014 - 5:37 AM.

#35 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2014 - 8:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They seem fine still, but it's hard to see inside their test tube, so I'm not sure what became of that brood. I am planning on checking them out soon.

#36 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2014 - 4:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-18-2014

All the new eggs the queen laid are now gone. All that is left now is the queen and three workers.

#37 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 23 2014 - 10:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-23-2014

I just found the queen dead today. I just put the remaining three workers in with one of my seemingly infertile P. rugosus dealates to see if they will get along. I will continue this journal if I get more P. californicus queens this season.

#38 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 30 2015 - 1:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-30-2014

Chromerust just gave me another one of these queens, so I guess I'll start this journal back up again and see how long it lasts.

• Gregory2455 and BugFinder like this

#39 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2015 - 7:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-31-2015

Didn't last long. The queen is already dead.

#40 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 31 2015 - 7:52 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

2015. :D

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex californicus, dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users