• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My first journal L.occidentals in a little DYI island.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted April 30 2018 - 4:42 PM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
YES I LNOW ITS DIY AND YES I KNOW I MESSED IT UP. Oh and I also know I could have fixed it but I decided to role with it and then give it a name down the road based off my mess up. So I bought this L.Occidentals colony from some guy who was nice enough to sell it to me. One queen and about 36 workers. I’m going to put them in kind of a natural habitat. Basically doing an island in the middle of a rimless tank. I’ll post more pictures once I’ve got it up!

Edited by Dr.Ants, May 1 2018 - 1:03 PM.

#2 Online YsTheAnt - Posted April 30 2018 - 9:12 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Just saying, its DIY lol. I look forward to seeing your colony :)

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted April 30 2018 - 10:46 PM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Bwhahahaha soo good

#4 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted May 1 2018 - 9:54 AM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So I was bored at work and decided I wanted to do a natural habitat. I wanted to do an island where I could then put something else in the tank.

WIxc93U.jpg

Edited by Dr.Ants, May 1 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#5 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted May 1 2018 - 11:47 AM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Once I got the tank set up with some water I then was able to install the island.
WsPusg1.jpg

Edited by Dr.Ants, May 1 2018 - 11:49 AM.

#6 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted May 1 2018 - 11:52 AM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is a video of them in their test tubes they were using as a nest. Hopefully they bed down some where

#7 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted May 1 2018 - 11:56 AM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I turned out the lights last night and am using a black light for “moon light” more so just so I can see. The temp is at about 78 on the substrate and about 82 in the air. The humitity level is pretty high. I have the tank set up in the fish room at my work. The fish room has over 60 tanks ranging from 20 gallons to 240. We keep the heater blasting so it keeps he fish water warm. That way we don’t have to run a heater on every tank. Saves money. Once they move out of the test tubes I’ll remove the test tubes and I will also add some fish in to the waters.

#8 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted May 1 2018 - 12:45 PM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Here is a video from last night as the queen left the tube!

#9 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted May 1 2018 - 12:50 PM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It looks like all the ants are going to relocate to the stump! That’s cool! So as you guys know I messed up naming this thread. Hahaha one of he guys at work helped me come up with a name so that way the DYI actually could stand for something. Why not lol..
Dark yggdrasil Island

His reasoning was
“Yggdrasil was the norse tree of life that connected everything/everyone. So the ants could be like lil dark norseman yanno?”

So we rocking it. It will now be called

Dark yggdrasil Island!!!
Lol gotta come up with a name for their new nest since they are moving in to that stump. I’m open to suggestions. I have this cool flat tank next to it I’ll post a picture of it. The reason I bring it up is cause my buddy brought up how cool it would be to use it as an out world. So I figure once these guys get in to the couple thousands will open up a cool out world.

vnuaLNv.jpg

Edited by Dr.Ants, May 1 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#10 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted May 1 2018 - 4:14 PM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just gave the colony a super worm. It was funny to watch them swarm it once they realized what was going on.

#11 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted May 1 2018 - 7:38 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood

i'm interested in seeing how the ants will react to the black light.  (because of reasons.) 

#12 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted May 1 2018 - 11:28 PM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Chicken, one of these nights I can set up my camera and grab a few hours of footage with black light on if you would like?

#13 Online YsTheAnt - Posted May 2 2018 - 2:00 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Awesome setup, these things grow super fast! By the way if you edit the first post on desktop full editor, you can also change the title.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#14 Offline antnest8 - Posted May 3 2018 - 12:32 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

cool setup and love the name

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens