• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Novomessor cockerelli (Casiah's first colony)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 10 2020 - 7:55 PM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I bought a colony yesterday and they're sitting in a THA mini-hearth  There are five workers and some brood.  Last night, I put a small amount of honey and a dried mealworm in the outworld for them.  The girls went to work burying the honey and half of the mealworm.  I can't tell if they're eating any of the animal protein, I don't want to leave it in the outworld for too long.  It is dried, so mold isn't a huge concern but... since they like burying stuff, I think I'm going to need to add some substrate into the outworld each time I give them food.

When I got home today, the queen was standing in the outworld, looking over her territory.  I wasn't expecting to see her up there, but then the entire room was dark so there's no reason for her not to.

There also seems to be a far greater amount of material with which they have buried the food stuffs, are they capable of ripping up the formicarium material?

I think I'm going to put aquarium sand, in small amounts, in their food dish along with whatever culinary offerings I give them.  When they're ready to move into a larger formicarium and outworld, I kinda want to give them some gold flakes to decorate with.  Some of that desert feel, ya know.

One in particular is upset about the fluon barrier I added.  She keeps trying to crawl up to rest upside down on the lid of the outworld.

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 10 2020 - 8:54 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You always want to give them fresh insects as food.  Workers drink from the liquids and it's easier for the ants/larvae to manipulate.  As for them coating the honey, they probably saw it as a threat so they tried to dry it up and stop it whereas the food was probably covered as trash since it was dried out.  I suggest using sugar:water (1:3 ratio) or byFormica Sunburst for their sugar sources.  

• Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 11 2020 - 6:10 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

if you put honey too close to the ants nests, i believe the ants feel that other ants might be able to smell it out and find their nest. that is my theory.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 11 2020 - 6:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

if you put honey too close to the ants nests, i believe the ants feel that other ants might be able to smell it out and find their nest. that is my theory.

It is a response to a liquid threat.

#5 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 11 2020 - 6:39 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I typically give my bees a 3:1 sugar to water ratio when its time to feed them, so I'll probably see if the ants take to that in early spring.

I'm giving them honey from 2019, so its nice and crystalized, shouldn't be a drowning hazard for them.  Just to be safe, I took out the feeding dish and cleaned it this morning.  (They weren't happy about that) and put a small amount of peanut butter and some crushed walnut (I read that they eat seeds, so I decided to see if they like nuts, and on my way home from the office I'm gonna get some feeder insects.  Because there's so few of them, I'm concerned about giving them fresh insects because I know that it'd likely be too much food for them.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 11 2020 - 6:57 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I typically give my bees a 3:1 sugar to water ratio when its time to feed them, so I'll probably see if the ants take to that in early spring.

I'm giving them honey from 2019, so its nice and crystalized, shouldn't be a drowning hazard for them.  Just to be safe, I took out the feeding dish and cleaned it this morning.  (They weren't happy about that) and put a small amount of peanut butter and some crushed walnut (I read that they eat seeds, so I decided to see if they like nuts, and on my way home from the office I'm gonna get some feeder insects.  Because there's so few of them, I'm concerned about giving them fresh insects because I know that it'd likely be too much food for them.

there is never too much food for ants. that was one of my biggest mistakes as a beginner ant keeper. feed your ants more than they could eat, and remove the rest. i had many a colony die because i fed them too little.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#7 Offline Devi - Posted December 11 2020 - 7:33 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

there is never too much food for ants. that was one of my biggest mistakes as a beginner ant keeper. feed your ants more than they could eat, and remove the rest. i had many a colony die because i fed them too little.

Yes.  Ants_Dakota is totally right.  I have had colonies where I ummm... forgot to feed them for a while, and they didn't do very well but then when I fed them a bunch of food, they did much much better and exploded in growth.  I was definitely a beginner then though, and I don't forget to feed my ants anymore.  Lol.  As for the live feeder insects, I would be careful of those.  Yes, this species needs and benefits from live insects, but with a colony that small, even a few deaths from trying to take down the prey could be futile to the colony.  So be careful when you feed them live.  Welcome to Formiculture!  I hope you enjoy your time here.  :)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#8 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 11 2020 - 8:09 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Yes.  Ants_Dakota is totally right.  I have had colonies where I ummm... forgot to feed them for a while, and they didn't do very well but then when I fed them a bunch of food, they did much much better and exploded in growth.  I was definitely a beginner then though, and I don't forget to feed my ants anymore.  Lol.  As for the live feeder insects, I would be careful of those.  Yes, this species needs and benefits from live insects, but with a colony that small, even a few deaths from trying to take down the prey could be futile to the colony.  So be careful when you feed them live.  Welcome to Formiculture!  I hope you enjoy your time here.  :)

Well, I'm wanting to keep the colony kinda small for now as I learn what I'm doing.  Not stunting their growth but not encouraging a huge explosion of population.

I will not be giving them live insects, rather I'll pre-kill them.  Again, I was wanting to delay buying live feeders, which is why I tried the dried mealworms.  Would rehydrating the dried mealworms work, I wonder...

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 11 2020 - 8:14 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Well, I'm wanting to keep the colony kinda small for now as I learn what I'm doing.  Not stunting their growth but not encouraging a huge explosion of population.

I will not be giving them live insects, rather I'll pre-kill them.  Again, I was wanting to delay buying live feeders, which is why I tried the dried mealworms.  Would rehydrating the dried mealworms work, I wonder...

yes live insects are not the bests for a small colony.

• Devi likes this

#10 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 12 2020 - 8:32 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I found frozen/thawed grasshoppers to be a good food source for my small colonies, along with some honey. I don’t have any Novomessor though, so that might not work as well for you.

• Devi likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 12 2020 - 9:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Fat ants are happy ants. I wouldn’t advise limiting their feedings until you get a much larger, more stable population. Try offering nectar in a byFormica or THA liquid feeder to see if the ants feel less threatened by it. Crystalized honey is probably too thick and sticky for them.
  • Ants_Dakota, MinigunL5, Devi and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline Devi - Posted December 12 2020 - 9:57 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Fat ants are happy ants. I wouldn’t advise limiting their feedings until you get a much larger, more stable population. Try offering nectar in a byFormica or THA liquid feeder to see if the ants feel less threatened by it. Crystalized honey is probably too thick and sticky for them.

"Fat ants are happy ants."  

This had me laughing.  Thanks ANTdrew.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#13 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 14 2020 - 9:09 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I've given them two freshly killed crickets (small feeder crickets from Petsmart) and they dragged one down out of the outworld, two days later (when I gave them the second) one stood guard over it near the entrance but didn't move it down.  How often should I be putting a cricket in right now?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#14 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted December 14 2020 - 9:37 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I've given them two freshly killed crickets (small feeder crickets from Petsmart) and they dragged one down out of the outworld, two days later (when I gave them the second) one stood guard over it near the entrance but didn't move it down.  How often should I be putting a cricket in right now?

Every few days at minimum every other day or even every day if you really want them to grow. Btw, how big is the colony?

#15 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 14 2020 - 9:39 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

crickeys are best feeder food, as well as fruit flys.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#16 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted December 14 2020 - 9:44 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I wouldn't say crickets are the best feeder, but definitely a good one. Fruit flies are the best though.

#17 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 14 2020 - 9:45 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I wouldn't say crickets are the best feeder, but definitely a good one. Fruit flies are the best though.

>:C crickeys are best feder!

We don’t talk about that

#18 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 14 2020 - 9:48 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Every few days at minimum every other day or even every day if you really want them to grow. Btw, how big is the colony?

5 workers.

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 14 2020 - 11:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

One small cricket every other day should be fine for such a small colony. Have seeds available as well for them to choose from and make sure you are cutting the cricket open, so they can access the juices inside.

• MinigunL5 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#20 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 14 2020 - 11:41 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Thank ya!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users