• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Novomessor cockerelli (Casiah's first colony)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 16 2020 - 10:42 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

They aren't eating.  Yesterday I offered them their third cricket, and like the one before they didn't pull it down into their nest.  Maybe they're still fine from the first one.  I'm just concerned for my girls.

#22 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted December 16 2020 - 10:49 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

They aren't eating.  Yesterday I offered them their third cricket, and like the one before they didn't pull it down into their nest.  Maybe they're still fine from the first one.  I'm just concerned for my girls.

When was the last feeding? Also, how many larvae do they have?

#23 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 16 2020 - 11:04 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

On the 11th, I gave them one, which they ate.  On the 13th, they left the cricket alone, so I removed it on the 14th.  Gave them a new one last night.

As for larvae, there's maybe three in the later stages and up to seven in the earlier?

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 16 2020 - 1:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ants won’t always drag insects down into the nest, and it’s actually preferable if they don’t. One or two foragers may have quickly filled up on juices and brought them down when you weren’t observing. A tiny colony like yours may not need much protein. Another factor to consider is how warm they are. Some ants will show very little interest in protein even at what we’d consider warm temps like 70deg.
  • Ants_Dakota, MinigunL5 and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#25 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 17 2020 - 6:09 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

if the ants don't want it, they don't need it. always remember that ants are really smart. if they are not eating, they don't need the food.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#26 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 23 2020 - 9:50 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I picked up a second mini-hearth during the holiday special with THA and put a tube to connect them.  The new one, bifurcated, is now on the heating pad with the old one further away.  I want to get the colony moved over so I can clean their original home.  They have this terrible habit of dragging crickets down.  I figure I can rotate them between these two periodically to keep their area clean.  There's about seven workers now.  When I get home from work, I'll be able to see how the move went.  They were moving brood this morning.

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 23 2020 - 10:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
All healthy colonies drag food into their nest. Don’t lose sleep over it. As their numbers grow, they will pull trash out.
  • CheetoLord02 and MinigunL5 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 23 2020 - 10:19 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Do Novomessor have social stomachs? If they don’t that is why they drag food down.

#29 Offline Boog - Posted December 23 2020 - 10:19 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I generally would eyeball the mass of brood in the nest and give the same amount of feeder mass to the colony for each feeding time. I found this gives an idea of the volume of food they can intake so more brood means more food to feed gradually.

• Devi likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#30 Offline CasiahJade - Posted December 23 2020 - 11:27 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I couldn't really see how much brood they had due to substrate getting stuck on the glass of the initial Mini-hearth.

My understanding, @Kaelwizard, is that they have small social stomachs, but I really don't know much about them yet.  I'll look into seeing if there's any scientific papers on them...

#31 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 23 2020 - 11:32 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
They have social stomachs but very small ones which is why they drag it into the nest.
We don’t talk about that

#32 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted December 23 2020 - 5:29 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

They have social stomachs but very small ones which is why they drag it into the nest.

Even ants with normal social stomachs will drag food back into the nest. Many of my ants have done it.

• KitsAntVa likes this

#33 Offline CasiahJade - Posted January 7 2021 - 11:38 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Since they moved into the bifurcated mini-hearth, I have actually lost the ability to get an accurate count of how many are there are.  I only see one or two in the "outworld" at a time.  I've been giving them killed superworms to eat, and they have two small water stations, one with sugar water.  I tried corn sugar and water, which they seemed to enjoy.  Its a bit finer than the beet and cane sugar so it mixes well.

Last night, I gave them a little bit of fried chicken, the meat not the breading, which they seemed to enjoy.  Or, at least, they were ripping  it apart and bringing small little chunks down into the nest in preference over the superworm.

• B_rad0806, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#34 Offline CasiahJade - Posted January 11 2021 - 7:02 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I had to remove my first dead ant this morning.

#35 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 11 2021 - 9:05 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

That can be pretty disheartening. 

#36 Offline CasiahJade - Posted January 11 2021 - 2:35 PM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

That can be pretty disheartening. 

Well, it was clearly one of the older workers.  I look at it like my bees, the death count this week alone would be terrifying.  (First freeze, bye Drones!) so I'm not devastated.  Truthfully, its a milestone, and the number of workers now has doubled since my first post.  In a few months, I will need a larger formicarium for them.

• ANTdrew likes this

#37 Offline CasiahJade - Posted February 9 2021 - 11:13 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

https://www.instagra...d=1fwjotipjls85

I'm still in my quest to find the best food for my girls, I've given them mixed birdseed for plant protein, crickets, super worms, hard boiled egg, honey, peanut butter, and now I've tried Spray Millet.  This was the first offering that garnered this kind of reaction.

I know that they've been eating, the colony is growing steadily, but since the first cricket got dragged down into their nest I haven't been able to tell how much they ate when I changed the food out.

If this works for them, I can give them a good supply in the outworld of a second mini-hearth as a silo.  No water in the tower to reduce the risks of mildew.

I'm encouraged, hopefully they are liking the seed.

#38 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 9 2021 - 11:17 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

crickeys are best feeder food, as well as fruit flys.

I wouldn't say crickets are the best feeder, but definitely a good one. Fruit flies are the best though.

>:C crickeys are best feder!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO termites are!!!!!

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#39 Offline CasiahJade - Posted February 9 2021 - 11:23 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

NOOOOOOOOOOOO termites are!!!!!

I don't have a source for those, and I don't trust myself to keep a colony without destroying my house.

#40 Offline CasiahJade - Posted February 22 2021 - 5:42 PM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Power is back, and the ants seem to be doing fine.  I decided to try something and I gave them a dead goldfish as I haven't been able to get fruitflies or crickets due to the cold.

Edited by CasiahJade, February 22 2021 - 5:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users