• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where Has Ferox Formicae Been?!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 1 2020 - 6:44 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

POPULAR

So, I know that a whole bunch of people have been wondering when I'll be coming back to Formiculture, as it's been many months of very little activity from me, and I guess it's about that time now. So, where have I been over the past several months? Well, I moved, and the process has been very complicated to say the very least. I moved about 50 minutes away from my old house in Irmo to a more rural area called Prosperity. It's a beautiful environment, and there's a lot of species here I've never seen before, and not just ants. I've seen Red Efts, Nine-Banded Armadillos, Coyotes, tons of fish (more on that later), Great Horned Owls, among others (go ahead and check out my iNaturalist account for a more comprehensive list). As far as ants goes, I've seen Polyergus longicornis, Cardiocondyla minutior, Strumigenys margaritae, laevinasis, rostrata, ornata, pilinasis, and reflexa, Stigmatomma pallipes, Camponotus caryae, the form of Colobopsis impressa previously referred to as pylartes fraxinicolaProceratium croceum and chickasaw, and many more. I've also made 4 new state records, those being Strumigenys margaritae and laevinasis, Procerarium chickasaw, and Lasius subglaber. I've explored sandhill habitats, collected tons of new specimens, and took up the secondary hobby of fishing (I now live on the lake/river by the way). I just got back from Michigan, and collected some cool species there, and next summer I'm probably going to Florida and California. I've not been able to keep up with keeping ants due to family reasons, but I have been able to hold onto a Strumigenys ornata queen, which is actually my favorite native Strumigenys (if you didn't know already). My ant collection is still going strong however, and I'm currently up to at least 142 species with 7 state records! In any case, I should be able to be on Formiculture a bit more now, and I've got some cool things I want to show you guys!

Love and huggies,

~Cloud

• wardkad2, Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and 8 others like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 1 2020 - 6:49 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

YAY! I got one question though, my sister lives in south carolina around charleston in fact and has big ant mounds about 2 feet wide kinda like the craters that acromyrmex versicolor make, I'm going over there this weekend and I wanna figure out what they are! I hope your queen does very good!

We don’t talk about that

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 1 2020 - 7:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

finally back! i was wondering where you had went! but welcome back! hope you keep active on fc!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 1 2020 - 7:11 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
You're back!
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 1 2020 - 8:40 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Welcome back! Just curious though how do you collect all these cryptics like strumigenys and proceratium? Some of us have been trying with no success.
  • TennesseeAnts, AntsExodus, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#6 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 1 2020 - 8:42 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

he's a legend that's how

We don’t talk about that

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:26 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! THE LEGENDS BACK!

• Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:45 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Welcome back! Just curious though how do you collect all these cryptics like strumigenys and proceratium? Some of us have been trying with no success.

Ferox and I both use Davis Filters to collect most of our cryptics, with the help of an aspirator. A small shovel (preferably a folding shovel that can fit easily in a backpack) is also useful for collecting Proceratium in my experience.

• Manitobant and Ants_Dakota like this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 1 2020 - 10:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This makes me really happy! Welcome back, my friend!
  • TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 1 2020 - 10:16 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

he's a legend that's how

*they’re :)

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, December 1 2020 - 10:16 AM.

• mmcguffi, EthanNgo678, Ferox_Formicae and 2 others like this

My YouTube channel :)

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 1 2020 - 2:32 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ferox and I both use Davis Filters to collect most of our cryptics, with the help of an aspirator. A small shovel (preferably a folding shovel that can fit easily in a backpack) is also useful for collecting Proceratium in my experience.

Doesn't help when the cryptics are feet underground and the leaf litter is sparse  :lol:  I have to dig for them the old fashioned way unless I go to a particularly forested area.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 1 2020 - 2:47 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Doesn't help when the cryptics are feet underground and the leaf litter is sparse  :lol:  I have to dig for them the old fashioned way unless I go to a particularly forested area.

Ah, well I guess I wouldn't know then. I mean, just today I collected a colony of Strumigenys rostrata from the inside of a nut.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 1 2020 - 6:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ah, well I guess I wouldn't know then. I mean, just today I collected a colony of Strumigenys rostrata from the inside of a nut.

Just taunting me at this point.

• TennesseeAnts and Swirlysnowflake like this

#14 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 1 2020 - 7:58 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

lucky! i’ve never even seen a cryptic, much less collect/found a colony  :ugone2far:  :ugone2far:  :ugone2far:

My YouTube channel :)

#15 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 2 2020 - 5:00 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

I think I have at least three species of cryptics in my yard, and I've caught one queen of them I think they may be more common in the east but I don't know. Anyways that's off topic Ferox is back!

• Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

#16 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted December 2 2020 - 8:05 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

lucky! i’ve never even seen a cryptic, much less collect/found a colony  :ugone2far:  :ugone2far:  :ugone2far:

Oof, that sucks.

I've been fortunate enough to catch a Stenamma queen and I've seen Ponera workers near me. I live in a really forested area so I could probably find all sorts of cryptics.

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 2 2020 - 8:08 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

i have caught multiple ponera colonies, but the hard part is getting them to lay eggs. i hear dirt setups are the best?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 2 2020 - 9:18 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

i have caught multiple ponera colonies, but the hard part is getting them to lay eggs. i hear dirt setups are the best?

They can't walk on smooth surfaces so it is required. I had a queen lay eggs, but they never developed.

Edited by Kaelwizard, December 2 2020 - 9:52 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#19 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 2 2020 - 9:26 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

They can't walk on smooth surfaces so it is required. I had a queen lay eggs, but she never laid.

that was my problem, i kept them in a smooth test tube. now i want another colony to try again!

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 2 2020 - 9:51 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

They can't walk on smooth surfaces so it is required. I had a queen lay eggs, but she never laid.

that was my problem, i kept them in a smooth test tube. now i want another colony to try again!

oops, I just saw what I wrote. I meant they never developed.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users