• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where Has Ferox Formicae Been?!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 2 2020 - 10:13 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i have caught multiple ponera colonies, but the hard part is getting them to lay eggs. i hear dirt setups are the best?

They can't walk on smooth surfaces so it is required. I had a queen lay eggs, but she never laid.

that was my problem, i kept them in a smooth test tube. now i want another colony to try again!

oops, I just saw what I wrote. I meant they never developed.

i was a bit confused at first, but i got it eventually. 

• TennesseeAnts and Swirlysnowflake like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#22 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 2 2020 - 11:04 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

i have caught multiple ponera colonies, but the hard part is getting them to lay eggs. i hear dirt setups are the best?

They can't walk on smooth surfaces so it is required. I had a queen lay eggs, but she never laid.

that was my problem, i kept them in a smooth test tube. now i want another colony to try again!

oops, I just saw what I wrote. I meant they never developed.

i was a bit confused at first, but i got it eventually. 

Haha sorry.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#23 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 2 2020 - 4:27 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

A properly hydrated plaster nest is ideal.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 2 2020 - 5:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Can hydrostone fill the same category? Or only something like plaster of paris?

Edited by NickAnter, December 2 2020 - 5:41 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#25 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 3 2020 - 8:54 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

what about grout? and how would i properly hydrate it? with a water tower or some other way?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#26 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 3 2020 - 9:06 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

what about grout? and how would i properly hydrate it? with a water tower or some other way?

Grout could work if you use non-sanded grout. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#27 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 3 2020 - 9:27 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

i do use unsanded. does anyone have a setup i could copy if i got some? they are pretty common around here.

#28 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 3 2020 - 5:45 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Jeez this topic blew up! I forgot how popular I was on here! Anyways, I'm hearing that many of you want to know how to collect cryptics. It really varies depending on the species, however, if you want to get a good idea of what's around, a Davis Sifter is probably one of the best ways to do it, as unlike with Berlese Funnels or Winkler Sifters, you don't have to wait for hours just to see what was in one single soil/leaf litter sample. You can just do it right on the spot. Yes, it's a little less precise, and you have to do the collecting by eye, but it gives you a vague idea of what's around. There's this one video on Facebook (ew) where the guy shows you how to make one, and that's the tutorial I followed. I won't bother looking for it right now, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Anyways, try gathering substrate from mesic habitats and in damp areas, like at the bases of trees or under fallen logs. Honestly though, you can use it pretty much anywhere, and you'll be pulling up ants. Strumigenys tend to stray away from urban and suburban areas, and it was only when I moved away from the suburbs and into the country that I started to find more species (previously, I had only collected S. membranifera, louisianae, and silvestrii). Of course, there are species you can find in more urban areas, mostly exotics, but the vast majority of species will be found in less disturbed habitats. This is the case with most cryptics by the way. Some more good places to look for cryptics are under and inside of rotting logs (logs in the red rot phase and those with lots of relatively loose bark are the best) and nesting inside of fallen nuts or hollow twigs partially or fully buried in the leaf litter. Anyways though, I hope this helps!

• wardkad2, TennesseeAnts, Manitobant and 4 others like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users