• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Will substrate in AC ant tower collapse?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted October 9 2020 - 3:47 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Hello!

I was planning on buying an AC ant tower small for a colony of tetramorium (50 workers). Is it possible that the substrate put in this will collapse? Also, does anyone know if the substrate that comes with it includes clay, because I have heard that clay stops the tunnels from collapsing.

Thanks for any help  :)

My YouTube channel :)

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2020 - 4:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It will not collapse if it has some clay content. Basically, if you can roll it into a ball that holds its shape, you’re good. The bigger issue I see is that if you have Tetramorium immigrans, they will outgrow that in a month or less.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline JenC - Posted October 9 2020 - 4:20 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
Yes it's better to make something yourself that will last longer.
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#4 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted October 9 2020 - 5:08 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

It will not collapse if it has some clay content. Basically, if you can roll it into a ball that holds its shape, you’re good. The bigger issue I see is that if you have Tetramorium immigrans, they will outgrow that in a month or less.

Really? Wow... 

Assuming you can re-use the nests, I have other colonies that can go into it- I just need a nest that arrives quickly because the Tetras are currently trying to nest in the dry sand under a rock (the sand is not even thick enough for them to dig into, but their old test tube is moldy, and they are tunneling into the cotton) instead of the fresh tube I placed out for them. The queen is wandering around the "outworld".  :facepalm: They are currently in a tubs and tubes setup.  I do have a THA mini hearth but I've read that tetras don't like the vertical ones, and i only have a vertical one.

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, October 9 2020 - 5:10 PM.

#5 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted October 9 2020 - 5:26 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Although, do you know of any other "digging" type nests that would last a bit longer?

#6 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted October 9 2020 - 5:29 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

They should be able to adapt to a vertical mini-hearth as long as they can climb the tubing connector. Alternatively, you could leave them living under the rock for the time being and wait for another nest to ship.

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#7 Offline Spazmops - Posted October 9 2020 - 5:46 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

You could pull out or sand down the mini-hearth tube, you could leave them where they are and wait, or you could go AC. In my experience AC stuff is way overpriced and I lost a really big S. molesta colony I had because a test tube adapter failed.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#8 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted October 9 2020 - 5:58 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

They should be able to adapt to a vertical mini-hearth as long as they can climb the tubing connector. Alternatively, you could leave them living under the rock for the time being and wait for another nest to ship.

they just returned to the test tube, and are furiously tunneling into the cotton-

they are about half a centimeter in now... i don't want it to flood

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2020 - 6:39 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They do totally fine in a vertical mini-hearth. Sounds like you need to give them additional test tubes to nest in. Make sure there is a tiny entrance to the tube ( I like the test tubes that come with plastic caps, so I can poke a tiny hole in it), and cover the tubes with something to make them dark.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 9 2020 - 6:39 PM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 10 2020 - 5:49 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

however, the wait for a THA formicarium to ship, like months.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users