• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Tetremorium Caispitum 8 nanitic colony won't eat anything but Dandelion seeds, Help!

tetremorium nanitic colony help

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 8 2020 - 11:41 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Pogomyrmex in Colorado? In an area where it snows too? I doubt it, unless he bought it from somebody else. I also I agree that it is not caespitum.

I caught and sold over 20 P. occidentalis queens. In fact, they’re one of the most common species I see.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#22 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 8 2020 - 11:42 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

i just started snowing so no more dandelion seeds for collection and tried all three insects my other colonies are eating i have no idea what to do.

I’m having to deal with the snow as well. Try bits of sugary fruit like apples, and just make sure they have access to food when they want it (a drop of honey is a good option, even if they don’t eat it right away).

Ants I have:

#23 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 8 2020 - 12:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Very young Tetramorium colonies have very little interest in sugars in my experience. They’re more set on gathering protein for brood growth.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 8 2020 - 2:31 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Very young Tetramorium colonies have very little interest in sugars in my experience. They’re more set on gathering protein for brood growth.

I’m just going off of what mine like, you’re probably right though.

Ants I have:

#25 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 8 2020 - 2:35 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Let them do what they want to do. Ants know their own needs better than you do. Provide them with the resources, but let them decide how to manage it.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#26 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 8 2020 - 2:56 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Ok... We gotta clear up some issues real fast:

1.  Tetramorium sp.E is an invalid taxa. As of 2018 T. sp. E is known as Tetramorium immigrans.
  2. Tetramorium caespitum is not a strictly European species. As far as I know the species is also found in parts of Asia.
  3. Pogonomyrmex species are found all over the US. whether its P. badius in the East, P. occidentalis in the North, Pogonomyrmex anergismus in the extreme South or P. californicus in the West.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#27 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted September 8 2020 - 3:27 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Ok... We gotta clear up some issues real fast:

1.  Tetramorium sp.E is an invalid taxa. As of 2018 T. sp. E is known as Tetramorium immigrans.
  2. Tetramorium caespitum is not a strictly European species. As far as I know the species is also found in parts of Asia.
  3. Pogonomyrmex species are found all over the US. whether its P. badius in the East, P. occidentalis in the North, Pogonomyrmex anergismus in the extreme South or P. californicus in the West.

Everywhere except the North East.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#28 Offline Devi - Posted September 21 2020 - 6:35 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

We have LOADS of pogonomyrmex (occidentalis) in Colorado.  I have found hundreds of massive nests.  You do have to know where to look though.  They like no trees, rural dry areas, as expected.

#29 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 10:25 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

not that common up here!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetremorium, nanitic, colony, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users