• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Domagoj's Lasius sp.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Wegmier - Posted August 12 2020 - 9:55 AM

Wegmier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Congratulations on your first nanitics!

1 x Lasius niger -  https://www.formicul...-wegmier/page-6

1 x Lasius flavus - https://www.formicul...flavus-wegmier/

4 x Camponotus fedtschenkoi - https://www.formicul...-wegmier/page-2

#22 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 12 2020 - 10:41 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Cool setup.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#23 Offline Domagoj - Posted August 12 2020 - 11:38 AM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

Glad you guys like it, hope ants do to.

#24 Offline Domagoj - Posted August 16 2020 - 10:40 PM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Update: the nanitic population is now at about 10-12 (it's getting had to do the head count). There's a bunch of brood as well.

Since the last update, I never saw any of them foraging the outworld, but this morning I offered them some fish food and within about an hour they brought in a piece of it and left it at the test tube entrance. They also brought in a pile of loose sand and left it at the entrance. Are they trying to close themselves? Should I provide more loose sand and small rocks?

Ee7fFZz.jpg

What worries me a little is that the cotton ball plugging the water end of the tube is starting to get some color that I don't necessarily like. Should I be worried about that?

Edited by Domagoj, August 16 2020 - 10:55 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 17 2020 - 2:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The ants may want a tighter entrance to their tube, which is why they’re piling up sand. For small ants, I like putting the plastic test tube caps with a small hole drilled in the middle.
A bit of mold on the cotton isn’t that big of a problem. They’ll be fine now. You can always move them later if it gets worse.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#26 Offline Domagoj - Posted August 17 2020 - 5:08 AM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

The hole in the connector is 9 mm (~3/4''). I could make a reduction. Is it worth the disturbance? I can make the plug "off site" but to install it I'd need to decouple the test tube from the outworld, put the plug and reconnect. It should take no more than 10-15 seconds, but can't be done without moving the test tube.

How big the hole should be? Should it be from a material ants can chew through (such as balsa wood)?

#27 Offline Domagoj - Posted August 26 2020 - 10:26 PM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I added more sand and they piled up much more of it, blocking the entrance to about 2/3 of the height. They also brought in a bit of it towards the brood.

The number of workers is slowly growing, without counting I'd say it's at about 15-20. They are starting to get bigger that the first nanitics, which is a good sign, I suppose.

I've been feeding them mosquitoes, which they seem to love, as they are taken in matter of seconds. They also accepted a small caterpillar, but I had no luck with ham, bacon and similar human food. I also offered them a spider, but after a couple of days of it not being moved, when I tried to removed it and throw it away, I found out that it was stuck to the outworld substrate and the ants wouldn't have been able to move it even if they tried, so I'll have to repeat that offering.

Two days ago I received a package of six different live critters (a few different roaches, grasshoppers, mealworms) which I froze. I gave them one small roach cut in half and they dragged one half of it up to the test tube entrance. I'm not sure what's the plan, but I don't see ants swarming it and digging the insides. The other half is a bit further out. It could be that they already took what they wanted but I missed it since I was away for the day after giving them the roach, so I wasn't able to observe them.

I also gave them a drop of Sunburst, and I've seen at least on worker spend several minutes drinking it.

So, how do I gauge when they need more food if I can't distinguish between partially eaten roach (from which they took all that they are interested in) and the one that is not accepted at all? At the moment there are no workers foraging the arena. Is outside activity a good indicator of hunger?

• Wegmier likes this

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 27 2020 - 2:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, if I see lots of workers out foraging, I assume the colony wants more protein. Very few workers will risk foraging when the colony is small, though.
  • Domagoj likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#29 Offline Domagoj - Posted August 27 2020 - 11:11 PM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Thanks.

This morning I saw two workers foraging some distance from the roach bits, so I figured they wanted more. I took out the roach bits and as I grabbed one bit with tweezers one ant got out of the roach carcass. I suppose there was still something interesting on it, but it's been 48 hours since I gave them the roach. I gave them a cut up cricket instead, and quickly a seven ant army got excited around the bits. This is the most workers I've seen outside at the same time. They seem to like it. It's been an hour and a half and they are still interested in the cricket, with 5-6 workers doing their thing.

Anyway, I'm happy I found a source of bugs they seem to like. The guy that breeds them is in the next town over, shipped them overnight for a couple of $$, and is willing to accommodate my need for small quantity of various species. I still have a few more to try, but it's looking good for now.

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 28 2020 - 2:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s a lot of fun when you start seeing the big feeding responses from a young colony! Whenever I remove old insects, I always tap them first to make sure workers aren’t up inside still feeding. This is even more challenging with a massive colony.

#31 Offline Domagoj - Posted September 28 2020 - 9:14 AM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

It's been a while since I last updated you guys on the progress, but mostly because there was not much of it.

A couple of days after my last update, I decided that the funky water in the original test tube is too funky for my taste so I hooked up an additional test tube with fresh water. I know the ants found it because I placed a few mosquitoes in there and they were gone in double quick fast fashion, but even four weeks later, they still haven't moved. I uncovered their tube and exposed it to room light (it's not really bright in there) and covered the new tube, but no cigar. I even tried placing a small bit of LED strip light next to the old tube, which they didn't like, but still preferred to moving.

This morning, I decided to take a bit more poignant action and made this setup:

7vBXn0L.jpg

The new tube (the one covered with foil is tilted down a bit, that's why everything is sitting on the plastic container. I placed the LED strip on that tube to provide a tiny bit of warmth and put everything by the window for both light and a bit of cold (it's overcast today, so no direct sunshine). When I came back home from work they've already mostly moved, only a few younglings remaining:

R4GgXNN.jpg

They seemed to like the tiny piece of aluminium foil I left in the old tube. They would use it to separate different stages of brood, hide under it, etc. Should I provide another one in the new tube?

The new test tube is glass, as opposed to the old plastic one, so I managed to snap some new pictures, which I hope are better than the previous ones. Here's one of them, with her majesty front and center, surrounded by her daughters:

fKvwLLP.jpg

As you can see, the queen still has her wings, but they seem to have been clipped a bit.

In any case, I've been feeding them the frozen bugs I got and they seem to not be too picky, however I noticed that some of the bugs darken quite a bit a few hours after thawing. I tried blanching some of the frozen bugs and it seems to prevent the blackening, but then the ants seem to be less interested in it. I still need more testing on this front since I may have overfed them at that point and the lack of interest may be due to that.

New ants are still eclosing, as I've seen a pale one yesterday, so that is good.

Edit:

I had to move the setup back to it's original place, since it was in the way, hopefully they don't move back to the old tube overnight.

Edited by Domagoj, September 28 2020 - 9:16 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#32 Offline Domagoj - Posted October 22 2020 - 9:27 AM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Last week, I transported the DIY fridge (more on the fridge topic in this other thread) from workshop to the basement at home and transferred the ants from the original room to the basement as well. I gave them a few days to adjust from about 23-24 °C (73-75 °F) in the previous room to about 21 °C (70 °F) in the basement.

Yesterday, I finally placed the ants in the hibernation chamber and turned it on to 18,5 °C (65,3 °F). The plan is to gradually drop the temperature over the next two weeks following this chart, meaning that today I lowered the temperature to 17 °C (62,6 °F). The numbers in the table are the ones I pulled out of my derriere, so if you think there is something wrong with them, I'd appreciate the advice.

fakdxEy.png

I'm still providing protein, since there's quite a bit of brood still going on and quite frankly I either give the critters I have to the ants, or throw it away, since by spring the critters will be half a year old and I'll just get some fresh ones.

• AntsDakota likes this

#33 Offline steelplant - Posted October 24 2020 - 5:01 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
If you're still giving protein, is there a chance some larvae might pupate, or will the lowering temperature stop them? I'm just giving sugars while mine are preparing for hibernation - should I be giving protein? Sorry if this is off topic.

#34 Offline Domagoj - Posted October 25 2020 - 1:23 AM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Good point. I took out the roach they had and won't be giving them any more.

I'm new to all this and quite frankly have little to no idea what I'm doing. That's why I'm here on the forums - to share my adventures and learn. This is the first time I'm hibernating a colony.

I think I might pause the temperature drop for a few days to give the pupae a chance to eclose (at least the ones that are close), but I assume there is no way to prevent at least some casualties. The question is at what temperature I should pause (if at all). They are now at 15 °C (59 °F).

#35 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 25 2020 - 8:04 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If you're still giving protein, is there a chance some larvae might pupate, or will the lowering temperature stop them? I'm just giving sugars while mine are preparing for hibernation - should I be giving protein? Sorry if this is off topic.

I would think pupation would not occur in fridge temps. However that being said, I don't think anything above freezing would kill pupae in temperate species.

Edited by AntsDakota, October 25 2020 - 8:04 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users