• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Pilifera journal

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 14 2020 - 7:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Great colony and superb camera work! That was really fun to watch. The only downside is that it made me sad about my failed Pheidole cf davisi colony (the queen dropped dead after getting five nanitics).

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 14 2020 - 7:29 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Does davisi get super majors like pilifera? I know those two are quite similar, If so I may take another shot at keeping both of them.

We don’t talk about that

#43 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted December 14 2020 - 7:49 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

Great colony and superb camera work! That was really fun to watch. The only downside is that it made me sad about my failed Pheidole cf davisi colony (the queen dropped dead after getting five nanitics).

Oh I’m sorry to hear about the davisi, at least your bicarinata are doing great!
  • ANTdrew likes this

#44 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 14 2020 - 7:59 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Does davisi get super majors like pilifera? I know those two are quite similar, If so I may take another shot at keeping both of them.

Neither are trimorphic, so no. Both are dimorphic.

#45 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted December 14 2020 - 8:04 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Yes, both pilifera and davisi are dimorphic.
We only have 3 (I think) species of trimorphic pheidole in the US, Rhea, tepicana, obtuspinosa, and hirtula gets very close to the southern border but is restricted to outside of the US for what we know.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#46 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 16 2020 - 11:00 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yes, both pilifera and davisi are dimorphic.
We only have 3 (I think) species of trimorphic pheidole in the US, Rhea, tepicana, obtuspinosa, and hirtula gets very close to the southern border but is restricted to outside of the US for what we know.

Yes, you are correct. Also, really great work on this colony. I've only found one Ph. pilifera queen, though I've found plenty of workers. I'll be searching far more this year for any and all Pheidole and other Attines I can find.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, December 16 2020 - 11:06 AM.

#47 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted December 20 2020 - 7:01 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Ever since moving them into the inception chamber, they have been kept at my room temperature (70-75 F) to keep the glass from condensating. Although in the past week or two at cooler temps I’ve been seeing greatly reduced foraging behavior, and I’m fairly sure the queen stopped laying. As of yesterday I put them pack in the heating mat, and within hours the glass was completely covered in condensation. So no pictures, although I will still update this journal.

Their second major eclosed about two days ago, and there are three more major larvae at the pre-pupal stage. Colony is doing quite well, hopefully I’ll be able to get some alates in 2021.
  • AntsDakota and mantisgal like this

#48 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 20 2020 - 3:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Nice. One of these days I will get my hands on some of these.  :)

• Antkeeper014 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#49 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 20 2020 - 3:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sounds like the Inception nest isn’t that practical. I kind of regret ordering one now.
  • Antkeeper014 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#50 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted December 21 2020 - 6:19 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Nice. One of these days I will get my hands on some of these. :)

Good luck! They are super fun to keep, by far my favorite colony.

#51 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted December 21 2020 - 6:23 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Sounds like the Inception nest isn’t that practical. I kind of regret ordering one now.

Yeah, as much as I love THA, the inception chamber just isn’t very practical at all. The ants themselves are fine with the condensation and they do well in the nest, although I can’t see anything at all. Tbh I’d say tubs and tubes are the simplest set-up, as well as the cheapest.
  • MinigunL5 likes this

#52 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted January 4 2021 - 10:04 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Quick update, and some good news.

As of putting them back on the heat mat, their brood pile has grown immensely and they are eating almost everything I put in their outworld. As of now they have two majors, ~130-140 workers, with 4 major pupae and several dozen worker pupae.

~One week previous to the date of posting this:
dd1644def640c01e3d1d7f48ff5b746a.jpg

941336205f8088ae896f40d8201cb661.jpg
(Sorry for the spots of sand on the glass obstructing the view, it’s a consequence of heating the nest.)

They have actually raised a male to pupation, previously male larvae were not cared for and ended up kind of deflated... almost like a pancake or something. Right now I assume it’s about a week from eclosing, and from why I’ve seen I don’t think they are going to eat it. Hopefully they don’t eat it, and I’ll be able to take pictures.

Males can pop up frequently in smaller colonies from trophic eggs, an infertile egg laid solely for the purposes of nutrition, and reared by the workers unknowingly. Usually by the time it exceeds the size of a worker larvae it is either abandoned or directly eaten.
  • TennesseeAnts, MinigunL5, Spazmops and 1 other like this

#53 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted January 22 2021 - 7:39 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Kind of an unexpected turn in comparison to my last reply, but this colony is not doing very well anymore. They have almost completely stopped taking in food, and their brood pile has immensely reflected this recent change. It is now about a quarter of the size it was in the previous post, and continues to dwindle. The new majors they are producing are malnourished and often deformed(3/5 have deformities)and they have started to frequently raise male larvae, although almost never to pupation. If this trend continues they will most certainly die.

Thankfully I still have time to try and get them to eat like they used to, and hopefully as spring comes around the corner they might resume their typical feeding routines. They have a very large pile of seeds, and I’m actually theorizing that this colony is going through an almost “diapause” like phase, only using their seed reserves and never foraging outside. They were also completely blocking out their nest entrance with debris.

I have a dark morph colony as a backup, so if this colony ends up dying they will take over this journal. At about 30 workers and a healthy amount of brood.

#54 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 22 2021 - 7:49 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

On July 23 I ended up catching 7 Pheidole queens after a short afternoon thunderstorm. Since this species is known to fly immediately after short and heavy rainstorms, I left for the pine barren right after the rain stopped. As of parking my bike, there was a queen digging her chamber right on the trail. I couldn’t believe my luck. Soon after, I saw another, then another, and eventually ended up with seven queens. As of making this journal, all have a sizable egg pile. bc4866b4f79b01baf719bfecb35ce68e.jpg

Since I’m from MA I didn’t think I would ever find Pheidole, This has been my dream species ever since I started keeping, and I can’t wait to have a colony.

TF UR SO LUCKKYYYYYY

シグナチャーです。예.

#55 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted January 22 2021 - 8:41 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I’m considering moving them into a natural setup, containing a sandy soil mix. Many people that try this often have better results with colonies that are struggling in traditional formicariums.
  • mantisgal likes this

#56 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted January 22 2021 - 8:43 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I’m considering moving them into a natural setup, containing a sandy soil mix. Many people that try this often have better results with colonies that are struggling in traditional formicariums.

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 22 2021 - 9:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m almost certain you are seeing some sort of diapause here.

#58 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted February 2 2021 - 8:30 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Thankfully, I've fixed the problem and the Pheidole have resumed normal feeding habits.

Basically, something similar happened to my colony that also occurred with Aaron's Pheidole Morrisi. In essence, the problem was that they were not getting enough sugars. Over a week or two, I didn't really give them sugars, as most of my other colonies had previously done fine with sugars every 2 weeks or so. Unfortunately, most Pheidole seem to be much more sensitive to needing sugars, and this is probably what caused the workers to stop foraging normally and reject most food I offered them. Lesson learned I guess.

Their brood pile is still recovering, but the queen has begun normally producing again and the workers are pretty active again. I assume they will be back on track with 2~3 weeks or so. Still no good pics since the glass is constantly covered in condensation  :(

• MinigunL5 and mantisgal like this

#59 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 2 2021 - 12:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I see no good reason not to offer colonies sugars every day and let them decide what they need. All my colonies have constant access to byFormica feeders with Sunburst. I have basically the same philosophy for protein as well. Fat ants are happy ants.
  • NickAnter, MinigunL5, Antkeeper014 and 1 other like this

#60 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted March 15 2021 - 6:02 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Uhhh hey, I'm back. No, I'm not dead, and nor are my Pheidole. Just kinda forgot I had a journal going lol.

The Pheidole are doing great! At about 200-250 workers and 8 majors. Their growth is steady, diet is stable, and hopefully it'll continue to be this way. Unfortunately, no pictures since the nest is almost constantly obstructed by condensation. But, I do have this video if anyone is interested:

• ANTdrew, MinigunL5 and mantisgal like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users