• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Pilifera journal

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted September 25 2020 - 12:12 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Those are male, not major larvae.

#22 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 25 2020 - 6:51 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

How can you tell? I am not doubting you, just trying to learn.

#23 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted October 1 2020 - 3:35 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

Most likely yes. Was talking on discord today and came to the conclusion that it was male, which would also explain why they were eating it.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#24 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted October 14 2020 - 2:59 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
My light morph is starting to pick up now, with around 20 workers and loads of brood.

eda787ac9e5fc4a4448866e0de2b7a85.jpg

Before they were relatively picky about what protein I gave them and now they eat anything I put in their tube. They have a major larvae in pre-pupal form as of now, I can’t wait.

My three other colonies aren’t doing great, for whatever reason.

0ec165cf14a4c91772ee2c9ec36ae65e.jpg

They show no signs of slowing down so I will continue to heat them throughout winter.

Edited by Antkeeper014, October 14 2020 - 3:00 PM.

• AntsDakota and mantisgal like this

#25 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted October 21 2020 - 8:58 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Ladies and gentlemen we have a major pupae! She’s a bit difficult to see in the massive pile of brood, but you can barely make out the shape of her massive head.

ae42580c566f1edbab49f142614247ef.jpg

After the arrival of this soldier I plan to experiment with different types of seeds, and see what they enjoy.

Edited by Antkeeper014, October 21 2020 - 8:58 AM.

• AntsDakota, TechAnt and mantisgal like this

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 21 2020 - 9:00 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Congratulations! That moment is always very exhilarating.

• TennesseeAnts, TechAnt, Antkeeper014 and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#27 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted October 21 2020 - 9:02 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Congratulations! That moment is always very exhilarating.

I’m so excited, ever since I started keeping pilifera was my dream species. I think seeing majors in the wild was the most memorable moment of my ant-keeping career.

Edited by Antkeeper014, November 18 2020 - 8:31 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and mantisgal like this

#28 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted November 14 2020 - 8:28 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Sorry for the lack of updates, but today something insane happened. But first, where we left off.

October 18th
I’d imagine the colony has 20-30 workers now, with callows eclosing every day.
4be120e5aff31fd7f6273039ccc43461.jpg

d016a09556bae52753f32ac82cd0db0f.jpg
First major encloses, and in general the colony is doing super well. On a diet of 2-3 fruit flies a day, and the occasional drop of sugar water.

0de031f7ffb665f435ef941d85e0972d.jpg
Two days later the major is still darkening. The contrast in size to the minors is really impressive to me.

4535c9c985ff4f04380d9cbb73847471.jpg
Another two days and the majors pigments have completely set in. I do like the lighter color on the majors, although the darker morph coloration in majors just looks more desirable to me.

November 10th
2f0c4b60c3a7e922c0a54477d9416601.jpg
Lots of brood, queen is slowly starting to get fatter. Ordered a THA inception chamber for them.

Today, November 14th
cfc3af2212e21323be986d8560c979a5.jpg

22d84f9a8c68f49ca803ea98677a1838.jpg

Combined my duo with my main colony, expecting nothing more than fighting. Although checking on them this morning, all the queens have moved in the the main test tube. Surprisingly, the behavior has been relatively promising, workers are engaging in trophilaxis and frequently cleaning the new queens. Only time will tell if they stay together, but for now they live in peace.

Edited by Antkeeper014, November 18 2020 - 8:35 AM.

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#29 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted November 18 2020 - 8:42 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
The three queen colony is still alive and well, although recently behaviors have suggested conflict between queens. One queen (I’m fairly certain it’s the OG mother) has begun showing aggressive body posture towards other queens, although the workers couldn’t care less. I’m planning on separating the queens into separate tubes and connecting them all with an outworld. Since the workers haven’t cared about the new queens, as long as the queens are separate from each other I think they will be alright. Hopefully this doesn’t cause the colony to bud into three separate colonies, but we’ll see what works out.
  • mantisgal likes this

#30 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 18 2020 - 8:46 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

yay

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#31 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 18 2020 - 9:16 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

The three queen colony is still alive and well, although recently behaviors have suggested conflict between queens. One queen (I’m fairly certain it’s the OG mother) has begun showing aggressive body posture towards other queens, although the workers couldn’t care less. I’m planning on separating the queens into separate tubes and connecting them all with an outworld. Since the workers haven’t cared about the new queens, as long as the queens are separate from each other I think they will be alright. Hopefully this doesn’t cause the colony to bud into three separate colonies, but we’ll see what works out.

Could they be oligynous?

#32 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted November 18 2020 - 9:18 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Could they be oligynous?

Yes is possible some populations could be polygenous, although they are very understudied in general and we do not know for certain.

#33 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 18 2020 - 9:21 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Could they be oligynous?

Yes is possible some populations could be polygenous, although they are very understudied in general and we do not know for certain.

oligynous means the queens don't like each other but the workers are fine with multiple queens

• TennesseeAnts and mantisgal like this

#34 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted November 18 2020 - 9:23 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I’ve never heard that term before but if that’s the definition then yes.

#35 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 18 2020 - 9:26 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Cheeto defined it in his Novo journal

• TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

#36 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted November 18 2020 - 9:27 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Interesting, well you learn something new every day I guess.

#37 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 18 2020 - 1:00 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Interesting, well you learn something new every day I guess.

same here! i thought it had something to do with oil the first time i read it!

• MinigunL5 and antsandmore like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#38 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted December 7 2020 - 10:27 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Apologies for the lack of updates, but I’m back.

The Inception chamber came yesterday, and they are currently in the process of moving. Unfortunately after talking with Cheeto It appears that inception chamber cannot be heated without condensation forming in large amounts on the glass, so I’m not sure how this will impact their growth.

Unfortunately while moving the test tube, one of the queens freaked out and grabbed onto another queens petiole, cutting right through it. This further prove my theory of oligyny, and hopefully as long as the queens stay away from each other, they should be alright. Workers continue to show no signs of aggression whatsoever.

Overall they are still healthy, with about 100 workers and another 2 majors on the way. They are currently eating about 5 fruit flies a day along with sugar water. I’d like to feed them more, but they rarely take over 5-6 flies. Hopefully with 2 queens popping out eggs I’ll be able to get alates next year, although the exact size that pilifera caps at is unknown, so maturity could occur later than I expect it to.

Overall I’m happy with this colony’s growth, and I will experiment with adding more queens next year given both my population is actually oligynous and given I catch more.

I’m currently editing a video showing the progression of this colony from when I captured the queen to where the colony is now. I’ll post the link when I’m finished.
  • AntsDakota, MinigunL5 and mantisgal like this

#39 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted December 12 2020 - 4:30 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Video documenting this colonies progression from queen to first major:

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, NickAnter and 3 others like this

#40 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 13 2020 - 9:01 AM

TennesseeAnts