• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Thoughts on Tarheel ants?

formicarium tarheel ants

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 23 2020 - 10:57 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

So I’m looking for a small, affordable formacarium that can be reused, and will last my small colonies a while. I think the Mini Hearth III from Tarheel ants checks all of those boxes, but I wanted to ask you all about your experiences. 

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#2 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:00 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I think it's a pretty good nest that will last a while(depending on species). I've experienced no problems with it, but it is a little hard to clean after the colony moves to a different nest.

• AnthonyP163, Antennal_Scrobe and Spazmops like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#3 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:01 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Basically everyone on the forum is going to praise tarheel products endlessly so...

• AnthonyP163, Manitobant, Antennal_Scrobe and 2 others like this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#4 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:03 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Basically everyone on the forum is going to praise tarheel products endlessly so...

Well if they have that much praise it’s at least worth a try  :)

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#5 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:13 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Yes, basically every antkeeper here owns one or more (like many more) TarHeel formicaria. Personally, I own 2 Discus, 1 Mini Hearth, and I plan on getting a fortress in the future. All of mine work flawlessly and my ants love them.

People raise tons of different species and genus in these, and they often suceed more then in any other set-up.

Edited by TechAnt, July 23 2020 - 11:14 AM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#6 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:14 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I had a fortress the first time I tried antkeeping, It worked well until i accidentally broke the glass.  :(

Edited by Antkid12, July 23 2020 - 11:15 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#7 Offline Hayashi - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:30 AM

Hayashi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVista, California
I just ordered a Mini Hearth yesterday. It’ll be my first so I don’t have experience with it yet but the praise on this site convinced me.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
THA is an amazing company with excellent products. I have two critiques, though.
1) small ants can slip through the magnetically attached glass.
2) the foraging areas are WAY too small for colonies as they get larger. It becomes almost impossible to clean and feed without ants escaping when the lid is removed.
That said, there’s really no better formicariums out there.

Edited by ANTdrew, July 23 2020 - 12:17 PM.

• jasond1979, AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline Nogbert - Posted July 23 2020 - 12:10 PM

Nogbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

i rarely see them mentioned but I'm a big fan of their genesis tube inserts. All the ants that i have used them on have thrived well so far (knocking on wood) my extremely skittish Camponotus was noticeably calmer with some firm footing compared to glass. additionally, i've noticed far less mold in these tubes than others YMMV  

#10 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 23 2020 - 12:37 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

THA is an amazing company with excellent products. I have two critiques, though.
2) the foraging areas are WAY too small for colonies as they get larger. It becomes almost impossible to clean and feed without ants escaping when the lid is removed.

Yes, the foraging areas are pretty small. But it's really easy to add another outworld.

• jasond1979 likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#11 Offline FSTP - Posted July 23 2020 - 12:38 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I like them but as stated their foraging enclosures are very small especially for their larger formicaria. I always make my own foraging areas. 

Edited by FSTP, July 23 2020 - 12:38 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#12 Offline to_be_announced - Posted July 23 2020 - 1:34 PM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSouth East Minnesota

The Phalanx seems to have a decent sized outworld for the size of nest.  But generally I agree the outworlds seem small.

Currently keeping Tetramorium Immigrans and Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in THA mini hearths.  I also have a couple Prenolepis Imparus queens in test tubes.

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 23 2020 - 2:09 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I second this.

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline jasond1979 - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:11 AM

jasond1979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara Calif

I'm using the Phalanx with my C. fragilis and its outworld is excellent.  I also purchased a good sized outworld and just attached it for my C. vicinus and it works great

Edited by jasond1979, November 10 2020 - 10:13 AM.

#15 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:43 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I’m using a mini hearth xl for my 30 worker colony of Veromessor pergandei. I just dumped them in, but they have already piled their brood on the water tower and the queen is content. The only thing that happened was there was sand stuck between the magnetic glass thing and the workers  could escape so i lifted it slightly to clean it and two workers got smushed :(

My YouTube channel :)

#16 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:50 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I don't use THA. I guess I've always been a DIY kind of guy. But THA is a great brand. I say you use it.

Edited by ZTYguy, November 10 2020 - 10:50 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#17 Offline Queen - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:52 AM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

I’m using a mini hearth xl for my 30 worker colony of Veromessor pergandei. I just dumped them in, but they have already piled their brood on the water tower and the queen is content. The only thing that happened was there was sand stuck between the magnetic glass thing and the workers  could escape so i lifted it slightly to clean it and two workers got smushed :(

I tape the glass so my V. pergandei doesn't crawl through. Also, prevents accidents if I were to bump the glass onto another glass, magnets and all...

#18 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:56 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I don't use THA. I guess I've always been a DIY kind of guy. But THA is a great brand. I say you use it.

exactly the same, actually. THA is also too expensive for me as well. but in terms of quality, absolutely unmatched.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#19 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:57 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

My Camponotus novaeboracensis have been doing very well inside their Mini Hearth. I liked their products so well that I got the 5 for $125 Mini Hearth deal and upgraded one to XL. Next year when my colonies and queens start growing I'm probably going to fill them all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, tarheel, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users