• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Which species is the cleanest?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 6 2020 - 2:22 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Just thinking...I know Pheidole are rather messy... But which ants are the cleanest? I mean, removing bits of food to the outworld and least staining their nests with food/poop?
Which are the dirtiest?

#2 Offline Nare - Posted June 6 2020 - 2:29 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Generally I think myrmicines are dirtier than formicines. That's why I think formicines are better suited for display. Something like Pogonomyrmex or Messor might be the dirtiest ants in my opinion, as they poop in copious quantities all over the place.

• skocko76, AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 6 2020 - 3:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Tetramorium by a country mile.

Edit: “by a country mile” is an idiom in English meaning that something wins by an exaggerated distance in a race.

Edited by ANTdrew, June 6 2020 - 3:14 PM.

• skocko76 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted June 6 2020 - 3:19 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

In my experience, my large Aphaenogaster tennesseensis colony won't leave a speck of dirt in their nest. I even had them clean out an old nest that a Camponotus colony had trashed. Cocoon casings, trash, old food all over the place, but I gave the nest to the tenn and they removed it all within a day.

On the other hand, Monomorium are also insanely clean. I have a M. minumum colony in a mini hearth and there is absolutely no signs of any trash whatsoever. They don't even mess with the sand in the formicarium. It looks just like it did when I first got it.

• skocko76 and OhNoNotAgain like this

#5 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 9 2020 - 6:42 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Generally I think myrmicines are dirtier than formicines. That's why I think formicines are better suited for display. Something like Pogonomyrmex or Messor might be the dirtiest ants in my opinion, as they poop in copious quantities all over the place.

Oh yeah, tell me about it! My Messors like to decorate the acrylic walls with poop. Talking about artistic!

Edit: “by a country mile” is an idiom in English meaning that something wins by an exaggerated distance in a race.

Do you mean clean or dirty? I would assume dirty, right?

Edited by skocko76, June 9 2020 - 6:43 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 9 2020 - 7:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Never had problems with feces, but my Pogonomyrmex just dump their trash in every corner of their outworld.
  • skocko76 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 9 2020 - 7:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Never had problems with feces, but my Pogonomyrmex just dump their trash in every corner of their outworld.

Mine have pooped all over the glass of their Mini Hearth, so much as to where the queen and brood are invisible now... 

• skocko76 and AntsDakota like this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2020 - 7:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Generally I think myrmicines are dirtier than formicines. That's why I think formicines are better suited for display. Something like Pogonomyrmex or Messor might be the dirtiest ants in my opinion, as they poop in copious quantities all over the place.

Oh yeah, tell me about it! My Messors like to decorate the acrylic walls with poop. Talking about artistic!

No, no. Tetramorium are the cleanest, most efficient ants. Period. There’s a reason they are so dominant.
  • skocko76 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 9 2020 - 7:21 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Generally I think myrmicines are dirtier than formicines. That's why I think formicines are better suited for display. Something like Pogonomyrmex or Messor might be the dirtiest ants in my opinion, as they poop in copious quantities all over the place.

No, no. Tetramorium are the cleanest, most efficient ants. Period. There’s a reason they are so dominant.

Wow! I assumed they were dirty, as many consider them to be household pests they can't get rid of. Talking about prejudice!

I had a few Tetramorium semilaeve queens with nanitics, but didn't keep them as I didn't want to risk them escaping and infesting my home.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#10 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 13 2020 - 1:00 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Just caught some T. semilaeve queens! :) Will be keeping some for sure now :)

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 13 2020 - 1:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Great! Start a journal, please. I would like learn more about the Tetramorium from the Old Country.

Edited by ANTdrew, June 13 2020 - 1:35 PM.

• skocko76, OhNoNotAgain and Antkid12 like this

#12 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 14 2020 - 12:24 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Great! Start a journal, please. I would like learn more about the Tetramorium from the Old Country.

Will do!

#13 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 16 2020 - 11:43 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Out of the ants I've had probably pheidole megacephala and acromyrmex. The ph. Megacephala are easiest ant i ever had in general while being nice and tidy. Acromyrmex versicolor were really clean too but that is important for the fungus so to be expected.

Edited by Vendayn, June 16 2020 - 11:44 AM.

• skocko76 likes this

#14 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 16 2020 - 1:20 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
I can tell you one thing, my Pheidole are NOT the cleanest by a long shot.
  • ANTdrew likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#15 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted July 18 2020 - 2:18 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I think Prenolepis imparis are the cleanest ants I've kept. I gave mine a cricket leg the other day, and after they had finished eating it they dragged it all the way to their test tube's entrance.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 18 2020 - 2:43 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Not having kept many ants, my cleanest right now are the Lasius, being the only ones with a trash pile.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#17 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted July 18 2020 - 3:20 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Not having kept many ants, my cleanest right now are the Lasius, being the only ones with a trash pile.

I think formicines in general are cleaner than myrmicines.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#18 Offline Croux - Posted July 18 2020 - 3:41 PM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Prenolepis imparis would handily stack their garbage on the liquid feeders, which would also serve as a reminder to replace the feeder.

Just started lasius nearcticus, will report on their cleanliness, soon.

#19 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 18 2020 - 4:40 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Tapinoma and dolichoderines in general are quite dirty in my experience. They will pull cotton and stain their nest with food and their dead colony members. As for the dirtiest ant out there, I'm betting it would be trichomyrmex destructor. These things can chew through almost anything and will probably leave formicariums a mess.

Edited by Manitobant, July 18 2020 - 4:41 PM.

• skocko76 likes this

#20 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted July 23 2020 - 1:15 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I have messor barbarus and they are very clean in my case.
If they don't want something I give them it goes right to the trash pile they leave nothing laying around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users