• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID maybe queen?

id ant

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:03 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

They also have Argentine ants and Brachyponera chinensis to deal with. Both are destructive invasives as well.

Yes, they're all destroying native ecosystems! Its like keeping mini mass-murderers. They're genocidal maniacs of ants that are in a place where they do not belong. They also completely outcompete other species with their fast growth rates. 
Keeping them is supporting the murder of million or more ants. 
Many species of invasive ants are also huge pests. Many have livestock(aphids) that devastate crops.
Well, most natives have aphid farms too. That’s one of the main reasons why the USDA considers all ants pests.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#42 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:06 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

They also have Argentine ants and Brachyponera chinensis to deal with. Both are destructive invasives as well.

Yes, they're all destroying native ecosystems! Its like keeping mini mass-murderers. They're genocidal maniacs of ants that are in a place where they do not belong. They also completely outcompete other species with their fast growth rates. 
Keeping them is supporting the murder of million or more ants. 
Many species of invasive ants are also huge pests. Many have livestock(aphids) that devastate crops.
Well, most natives have aphid farms too. That’s one of the main reasons why the USDA considers all ants pests.

True

Not to the same extent as some species(Like Argentine ants) that have HUGE super-colonies

#43 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:14 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yeah I’m gonna keep her and give it a go. Queens around Louisiana seem to be super hard to find no one is into ants :( was thinking about trying to supply my state and applied for that permit. I would like to help other people get into ant keeping. It’s super Interesting.

:/ They are a danger to the environment. They're already causing chaos in native ecosystems. If anything, you should be killing them. They definitely should not be kept since they are not native. Especially since you are a beginner. If you look I'm sure you can find other species to keep. Although they are becoming harder to find because of all the invasive species. I think it would highly irresponsible and irrational for you to keep her, and I suggest that you don't.
Chaos is an understatement..........

I agree, in some areas of southern US they are wiping out almost all of the other ant species. They can even kill animals much bigger than them with their painful stings. They are threat to natural ecosystem in the US. 

It is a danger to the ecosystem to keep them. 

As far as I'm aware, the only native ant populations in most of the Southern US that have been largely affected by Solenopsis invicta are the native S. xyloni and S. geminata. They occupy the same niche as S. invicta, but have smaller colony sizes and therefor have been mostly killed off. As I see it Linepithema humile are much worse, in the sense that they are generalists and can occupy any area, displacing or downright removing native fauna. Luckily Argentines can't survive in rural areas, such as mine. Solenopsis invicta in rural areas seem to act differently than the ones in urban/suburban areas. I've observed them living peacefully alongside dry loving genera like PogonomyrmexDorymyrmex, Camponotus and sometimes Lasius. But that changes in the urbanized areas. Solenopsis invicta seem to become very aggressive towards other ants, possibly because of the limited space and resources found in these environments. 

Just my two cents.

#44 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 6 2020 - 3:44 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Yeah I’m gonna keep her and give it a go. Queens around Louisiana seem to be super hard to find no one is into ants :( was thinking about trying to supply my state and applied for that permit. I would like to help other people get into ant keeping. It’s super Interesting.

:/ They are a danger to the environment. They're already causing chaos in native ecosystems. If anything, you should be killing them. They definitely should not be kept since they are not native. Especially since you are a beginner. If you look I'm sure you can find other species to keep. Although they are becoming harder to find because of all the invasive species. I think it would highly irresponsible and irrational for you to keep her, and I suggest that you don't.
Chaos is an understatement..........

I agree, in some areas of southern US they are wiping out almost all of the other ant species. They can even kill animals much bigger than them with their painful stings. They are threat to natural ecosystem in the US. 

It is a danger to the ecosystem to keep them. 

As far as I'm aware, the only native ant populations in most of the Southern US that have been largely affected by Solenopsis invicta are the native S. xyloni and S. geminata. They occupy the same niche as S. invicta, but have smaller colony sizes and therefor have been mostly killed off. As I see it Linepithema humile are much worse, in the sense that they are generalists and can occupy any area, displacing or downright removing native fauna. Luckily Argentines can't survive in rural areas, such as mine. Solenopsis invicta in rural areas seem to act differently than the ones in urban/suburban areas. I've observed them living peacefully alongside dry loving genera like PogonomyrmexDorymyrmex, Camponotus and sometimes Lasius. But that changes in the urbanized areas. Solenopsis invicta seem to become very aggressive towards other ants, possibly because of the limited space and resources found in these environments. 

Just my two cents.

That doesn't change that they're bad for the environment and you should not keep them. They're still invasive.

#45 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 6 2020 - 4:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What’s the difference between smushing an invasive queen or removing her forever from the wild to live in a 55 gallon tank?
Just invest in some Fluon and make a really good lid. Limit proteins so they don’t grow too fast. No big deal. Just promise to never release them.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#46 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 6 2020 - 4:20 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

What’s the difference between smushing an invasive queen or removing her forever from the wild to live in a 55 gallon tank?
Just invest in some Fluon and make a really good lid. Limit proteins so they don’t grow too fast. No big deal. Just promise to never release them.

he's new to the hobby tho... 

Its still supporting something bad. I personally will never keep invasive ants(except tetramorium), but you can do what ever you want, despite if its dumb. Just know that I highly suggest that you do not keep invasive species.

#47 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 6 2020 - 4:56 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

he's new to the hobby tho... 

Its still supporting something bad. I personally will never keep invasive ants(except tetramorium), but you can do what ever you want, despite if its dumb. Just know that I highly suggest that you do not keep invasive species.

You're fighting an illogical debate here.

Keeping an invasive queen of Solenopsis invicta literally makes no difference as to how invasive they become in the states. Absolutely zero difference. Its even a better choice to keep them in captivity, because had he not caught that queen, she could have ended up creating a massive colony threatening other species outdoors.

As long as they are contained, and don't pose a threat to the environment, there's no reason they should be killed.

If they get too big, then you kill them. Otherwise, your argument is only based on ethicality, which is similar to the argument of not feeding live prey to ants because its "inhumane". Well, many people will still do it regardless of different opinion.

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 6 2020 - 5:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve raised Tetramorium to reproductive maturity, and I don’t think there’s that huge of a difference, honestly. They’re insane.
Just limit protein and heat and don’t cut corners with escape prevention. Watch the movie Gremlins as a cautionary tale.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#49 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 6 2020 - 5:58 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

(n)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users