• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID maybe queen?

id ant

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:13 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA
Since it's invasive and it's a difficult species to keep I suggest that you kill it. They are really damaging to the environment, and even if you did raise her, you would struggle as a begginer.

#22 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:16 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

[deleted]

Edited by Antkid12, June 5 2020 - 4:18 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#23 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:17 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Since it's invasive and it's a difficult species to keep I suggest that you kill it. They are really damaging to the environment, and even if you did raise her, you would struggle as a begginer.

If you keep it, they can't do any damage to the environment. accidents can happen and they can escape tho

Edited by Antkid12, June 5 2020 - 4:58 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#24 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:39 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Sorry but I don't understand that logic.

#25 Offline chua2231 - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:52 AM

chua2231

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationlouisana,LA
Hey guys, yeah I understand they are hard to keep for a new keeper as myself. And I’m not to worried about them getting lose even if they do. I live in the country and they are everywhere in my yard. Little fire ant beds. Honestly I’m just excited. I know this type of ant can grow very fast but I have a 55gal tank ready to get occupied. With a good top.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkid12 like this

#26 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 5 2020 - 6:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Hey guys, yeah I understand they are hard to keep for a new keeper as myself. And I’m not to worried about them getting lose even if they do. I live in the country and they are everywhere in my yard. Little fire ant beds. Honestly I’m just excited. I know this type of ant can grow very fast but I have a 55gal tank ready to get occupied. With a good top.

Maybe try feeding them very limited amounts of protein at first; get accustomed to their behavior and growth rate. If you feed them too much they'll get out of control, fast.

#27 Offline chua2231 - Posted June 5 2020 - 6:10 AM

chua2231

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationlouisana,LA
I was dropping her a little bit of honey mixed with water. Is that alright?

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 6:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If you keep it, they can't do any damage to the environment. accidents can happen and they can escape tho
Yeah, they are escape artists. So they are a high risk imo.

Well, the more invasive colonies in an area the worse.
  • Antkid12 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#29 Offline chua2231 - Posted June 5 2020 - 6:30 AM

chua2231

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationlouisana,LA
we’ll I could try and trade her for a easier Species. The thing that really sucks for some reason everyone besides Louisiana has people trading are selling queens. I can’t find anyone in Louisiana.

Edited by chua2231, June 5 2020 - 6:30 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#30 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 5 2020 - 6:56 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

we’ll I could try and trade her for a easier Species. The thing that really sucks for some reason everyone besides Louisiana has people trading are selling queens. I can’t find anyone in Louisiana.

I see zero reason to kill/release/sell them before you've even started a colony. Its up to you, but I would only do it if they prove to be too much.

#31 Offline chua2231 - Posted June 5 2020 - 7:05 AM

chua2231

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationlouisana,LA
Yeah I’m gonna keep her and give it a go. Queens around Louisiana seem to be super hard to find no one is into ants :( was thinking about trying to supply my state and applied for that permit. I would like to help other people get into ant keeping. It’s super Interesting.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkid12 and ArmyAntz like this

#32 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:31 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Yeah I’m gonna keep her and give it a go. Queens around Louisiana seem to be super hard to find no one is into ants :( was thinking about trying to supply my state and applied for that permit. I would like to help other people get into ant keeping. It’s super Interesting.

:/ They are a danger to the environment. They're already causing chaos in native ecosystems. If anything, you should be killing them. They definitely should not be kept since they are not native. Especially since you are a beginner. If you look I'm sure you can find other species to keep. Although they are becoming harder to find because of all the invasive species. I think it would highly irresponsible and irrational for you to keep her, and I suggest that you don't.

• AntsDakota likes this

#33 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:33 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

:/ They are a danger to the environment. They're already causing chaos in native ecosystems. If anything, you should be killing them. They definitely should not be kept since they are not native. Especially since you are a beginner. If you look I'm sure you can find other species to keep. Although they are becoming harder to find because of all the invasive species. I think it would highly irresponsible and irrational for you to keep her, and I suggest that you don't.

It wouldn't be irresponsible as long as he is careful.

#34 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:49 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

It wouldn't be irresponsible as long as he is careful.

:/ he's a noob at ant-keeping. And if it gets too big or too hard for them to handle, they won't be able to release the colony. Unless they are retarded and have no care for the environment(which probably is not the case). I think it might be ok if they were more experienced, but as a beginner...

Its just a bad idea

• AntsDakota likes this

#35 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:51 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Chaos is an understatement..........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#36 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:54 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Keep them in a foolproof setup like a tubs and tubes setup or a Mini Hearth to minimize escapes. Be careful to not let the barrier degrade too much, as that will result in angry, stinging fire ants everywhere come feeding time.

#37 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:55 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Chaos is an understatement..........

I agree, in some areas of southern US they are wiping out almost all of the other ant species. They can even kill animals much bigger than them with their painful stings. They are threat to natural ecosystem in the US. 

It is a danger to the ecosystem to keep them. 

• AntsDakota likes this

#38 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:56 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Keep them in a foolproof setup like a tubs and tubes setup or a Mini Hearth to minimize escapes. Be careful to not let the barrier degrade too much, as that will result in angry, stinging fire ants everywhere come feeding time.

:/  :facepalm:  (n)

Its simple, just keep native species and kill the invasive ones. 

• AntsDakota likes this

#39 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
They also have Argentine ants and Brachyponera chinensis to deal with. Both are destructive invasives as well.

#40 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:00 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

They also have Argentine ants and Brachyponera chinensis to deal with. Both are destructive invasives as well.

Yes, they're all destroying native ecosystems! Its like keeping mini mass-murderers. They're genocidal maniacs of ants that are in a place where they do not belong. They also completely outcompete other species with their fast growth rates. 

Keeping them is supporting the murder of million or more ants. 

Many species of invasive ants are also huge pests. Many have livestock(aphids) that devastate crops.

Edited by MinigunL5, June 5 2020 - 5:01 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users