• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Acromyrmex versicolor Journal [119] (Discontinued)

dspdrew acromyrmex versicolor journal fungus growers leaf cutters

• Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

#221 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2016 - 4:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not sure. I don't think bleach is leaving much of anything behind. I clean the containers my ants are hydrated with using bleach as well and have never had any noticeable problems.

#222 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 23 2016 - 9:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 1-23-2016

So I decided to give fresh substrate a try again, and they seem to really like it this time. When I moved into my new apartment, the backyard was nothing but dirt, so I tossed a bunch of wild flower and bluegrass seeds back there. Now I have tons of new plants and grass growing, so I decided to pick some of it and toss it into the out world of my largest colonies. Right away they started cutting it up and carrying pieces of it down into their nest. So far I can see quite a few pieces stuck to their fungus since it's very easy to tell it apart from the dry stuff.

med_gallery_2_126_378519.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_601348.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_431177.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_229307.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_455758.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_506024.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_27204.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_430307.jpg

Three hours later.

med_gallery_2_126_164458.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_10510.jpg

I sold a few of the new colonies, some of which had quite a few workers already. One colony probably had close to 60 workers, and was already hanging a lot of fungus from the lid of their nest. I have ten of the new colonies left, and they all have between 20 and 30 workers each.
  • Gregory2455, drtrmiller and Vendayn like this

#223 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 23 2016 - 9:42 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:06 PM.

#224 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 23 2016 - 11:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just added two pictures to the update. After just three hours, it looks like someone took a weed-wacker to the plants. They might not want all of it now, but they still chop every last bit of it up.

#225 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 24 2016 - 12:45 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So cool! :o

#226 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 24 2016 - 1:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Here's a pretty cool before and after picture of my other large colony after giving them some of the wild flower plants. Keep in mind this was actually the third time I placed this much of it in their out world, and it was mowed down all three times. I think they've had enough now. :lol:

Before

med_gallery_2_126_377913.jpg

After

med_gallery_2_126_138255.jpg
  • Dumpling likes this

#227 Offline dermy - Posted January 24 2016 - 2:14 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Wow hungry ants! I wonder how much they'll eat when the Colony gets massive!

• Dumpling likes this

#228 Offline Alexant - Posted January 24 2016 - 2:57 PM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I can only Imagine

#229 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 24 2016 - 3:12 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

#230 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 24 2016 - 3:37 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

You might want to eventually make a queen restrictor and let them forage outside. I don't think they will abandon the nest because the queen will be there and so will a lot of fungus.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#231 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 24 2016 - 4:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You might want to eventually make a queen restrictor and let them forage outside. I don't think they will abandon the nest because the queen will be there and so will a lot of fungus.

You know, I have three of these big colonies, and really need to get rid of one anyway, so that actually sounds like a good idea. Only problem is, that will probably be instant death with the infestation of Argentine ants we have here.

#232 Offline Mdrogun - Posted January 24 2016 - 4:13 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I forgot about the Argentines. I wish I could purchase a colony. Maybe you could do it for a couple of days and then if you see the colony population start to drop or if the argentines start to attack then you stop.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#233 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 24 2016 - 4:18 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

#234 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 24 2016 - 4:52 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:07 PM.

#235 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 24 2016 - 4:55 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They can grow pretty fast. If they are in a setup like mine, moving a colony that size wouldn't be any different than moving what you have now.

#236 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 26 2016 - 7:36 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I forgot about the Argentines. I wish I could purchase a colony. Maybe you could do it for a couple of days and then if you see the colony population start to drop or if the argentines start to attack then you stop.

If Argentine ants attacked, the entire colony would be dead and gone within hours.

#237 Offline yen_saw - Posted January 26 2016 - 10:54 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

Wonderful pictures. I wonder if the fungus will be accepted by different species or even different genus of leaf cutting ants. It looks very similar to the Texas leaf cutter ants fungus.

#238 Offline Mannomorth - Posted January 26 2016 - 12:27 PM

Mannomorth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

If Argentine ants attacked, the entire colony would be dead and gone within hours.

Kind of wish that you could have a collar on each ant with a antdoor that only opens for your ants :lol:

#239 Offline Alexant - Posted January 26 2016 - 12:37 PM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Each species uses a specific species of the Fungus, so I wouldn't think so

#240 Offline Subverted - Posted January 26 2016 - 1:00 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Each species uses a specific species of the Fungus, so I wouldn't think so

Actually...I'm not sure that there is a whole lot of evidence for that when we are talking about the genera Acromyrmex and Atta. As far as I am aware most all of those two use Leucoagaricus gongylophorus in their fungus gardens. Cyphomyrmex and some other fungus farming species do have other (species specific) associations.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, acromyrmex versicolor, journal, fungus growers, leaf cutters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users