• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone have experience finding Neivamyrmex?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Subverted - Posted April 17 2015 - 9:50 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

A few years ago (ok, almost 5) I collected a Neivamrymex drone with a black light and sheet.

I know the queens arent supposed to fly so how can you locate the colony to find queens? I don't really have a clue what to look for just a general area to search in.

Someday I will have to see if the dried out drone can trigger a colony evacuation!

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 17 2015 - 10:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well the colony is always moving around. I have come across them quite a few times. Two times they were in the process of raiding a Pheidole colony, dragging out all sorts of brood and alates. Here's a video I took of the last time I saw them. This was the second time I came across them in Menifee, CA. The first time was in my brother's back yard where they were raiding Pheidole.

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 18 2015 - 5:37 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I assume you re hoping to be able to capture a colony with queen in the hope of keeping it alive. It won't work the need to move over a wide area would necessitate a very large habitat. That along with providing appropriate food makes them pretty much impossible to keep long term. The queens also tend to die very quickly after capture if conditions are not just right. The dead male will not likely provoke an evacutaion response.

• cpman likes this

#4 Offline cpman - Posted April 18 2015 - 7:38 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I've seen Neviamyrmex twice here, both times while raiding Pheidole. I was just flipping over rocks both times, and found nests of Pheidole panicking and Neviamyrmex attacking. PLEASE do not try to keep these ants. I can guarantee that they will not survive in captivity. They need a HUGE range, and their diet of ant brood is likely impossible to supply in sufficient quantities.

Again, PLEASE don't try to capture a colony to keep. Capturing a few workers to try to provoke an evacuation response is fine, but it will be impossible to keep a full colony.

They are very fascinating ants and a very unique part of the environment. They can be difficult to find on purpose because of their subterranean habits.

#5 Offline Alza - Posted April 18 2015 - 8:16 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I'm keeping them, and you cannot say its impossible if you have never tried. That being said, there are no limits to what an "anter" can do c:

• AntTeen804 likes this

#6 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 18 2015 - 9:53 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Really? Can you post pictures Alza?

This is a video of a person keeping Labidus sp. army ants https://www.youtube....h?v=UBe5nCqKbvs.

#7 Offline Alza - Posted April 18 2015 - 9:56 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I plan on it

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2015 - 10:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Im keeping them, and you cannot say its impossible if you have never tried. That being said, there are no limits to what an "anter" can do c:

:lol:

I think the key phrase here is "long term".

• Miles and cpman like this

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 18 2015 - 6:48 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Long term is indeed the key. I will be following your long term results with interest. And for the record I and others have tried with as far as I know a 100% failure rate.

• cpman likes this

#10 Offline cpman - Posted April 18 2015 - 6:53 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

As far as I can guess, the only way that would be even partially successful in keeping them would probably need an incredibly large foraging area and several hundred ant colonies in formicariums designed in a way where a part of it without the queen, but with lots of brood and workers, could be placed into the army ants' enclosure.

I'd be interested in trying to figure out how to find raids of any of the subterranean army ants...

I have no idea how I would ever find one unless I got really lucky. We've got several species here that I would love to watch another raid of.

Both the raids I've seen were just by sheer luck -- they happened to be attacking from beneath the Pheidole nests I found.

Edited by cpman, April 18 2015 - 7:07 PM.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2015 - 7:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The first raid I saw, I actually heard before I saw it. I kept hearing little rocks falling from the side of a cliff along some road I was walking on at night. Of course my first thought was oh great, theres some animal up there, and with my luck it will be something that's going to eat me. Then I noticed thousands of ants swarming on some nest to the point that dirt and rocks were falling from the entrance.

• cpman likes this

#12 Offline cpman - Posted April 18 2015 - 7:47 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

That sounds awesome. In both the ones I saw, I picked up a rock, and there was a Pheidole nest FREAKING OUT. Then, I saw the Neviamyrmex mixed in...

I still have yet to see a column though. Also, I'd love to find Labidus coecus, which does exist here. Unfortunately, it also tends to live deep underground. I read that they are found often in caves. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to survey any caves where I've been caving in the past... I would not at all be surprised if some of the ones I've been in have them.

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 19 2015 - 3:09 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm keeping them, and you cannot say its impossible if you have never tried. That being said, there are no limits to what an "anter" can do c:

I doubt you are even keeping them...

#14 Offline Alza - Posted April 19 2015 - 4:15 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Ugh, thought the way I said it was only interpreted one way, but I guess not.

#15 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 19 2015 - 7:48 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ugh, thought the way I said it was only interpreted one way, but I guess not.

Define "I am keeping them" then. :P

#16 Offline Alza - Posted April 19 2015 - 8:03 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I think you know what i meant  B)

#17 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 20 2015 - 6:44 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Trolllllllll... Anyway Alza off topic question to you but was that Pogonomyrmex alate you caught all alone? No flight?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users