• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antscanada has hit a new low

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Nanahira - Posted May 24 2020 - 11:02 AM

Nanahira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

All popular Youtube channels have something that stands them out from the rest. Antscanada's experiments and dramatization helps him control the algorithm to reach other audiences (which are mostly those who don't raise insects).

Remember he does this as his job, not as a non profit organization.

Edited by 500miles, May 24 2020 - 11:05 AM.

• Canadant, Somethinghmm and jushi like this

The Ant Colony | The r/Ants discord server - https://discord.gg/c7qCmfYqYZ

#22 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 24 2020 - 1:05 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

All popular Youtube channels have something that stands them out from the rest. Antscanada's experiments and dramatization helps him control the algorithm to reach other audiences (which are mostly those who don't raise insects).

Actually, I'm not sure it's his main source of income. He's actually a singer-songwriter, part-time actor, comedian, entrepreneur, ant-keeper. and of course YouTuber. So he definitely has a lot of sources of income. The reason he moved from Canada to the Philippines in the first place is for his singing career. Obviously, in the end, he's just trying to grow his channel.

Here is a link if you want to read more about him:

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Mikey_Bustos

• Nanahira, AntsDakota, jushi and 1 other like this

#23 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 24 2020 - 3:43 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Well the thing is, a lot of YouTube channels have had to constantly adapt to YouTube's constantly changing search and recommend algorithms and advertiser demands.  In order to get more and more views and subs, it's quite possible he's needed to cover trendy topics that YouTube wants, which may not be ones that interest you.

Further, many beginner ant keepers are going to find themselves outgrowing these YouTube channels once they start keeping ants of their own and interacting with other hobbyists in communities like this one.  After all, the target demographic for these videos does seem to be very young children, and not more experienced hobbyists.

Hopefully that is a smooth process, with a beginner doing more research and trying to catch some local queens instead of someone diving head first into the hobby and starting with RIFA. (which fans of his in real life I know want RIFA and a lot of people who start ask for how to care for RIFA and go straight to purchasing a colony, instead of having the patience to find a queen and raise a colony from that.)

Edited by Temperateants, May 24 2020 - 3:45 PM.

• jushi likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#24 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 24 2020 - 5:39 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Well the thing is, a lot of YouTube channels have had to constantly adapt to YouTube's constantly changing search and recommend algorithms and advertiser demands.  In order to get more and more views and subs, it's quite possible he's needed to cover trendy topics that YouTube wants, which may not be ones that interest you.

Further, many beginner ant keepers are going to find themselves outgrowing these YouTube channels once they start keeping ants of their own and interacting with other hobbyists in communities like this one.  After all, the target demographic for these videos does seem to be very young children, and not more experienced hobbyists.

Hopefully that is a smooth process, with a beginner doing more research and trying to catch some local queens instead of someone diving head first into the hobby and starting with RIFA. (which fans of his in real life I know want RIFA and a lot of people who start ask for how to care for RIFA and go straight to purchasing a colony, instead of having the patience to find a queen and raise a colony from that.)

what's RIFA?

EDIT: nvm they're red imported fire ants

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THOSE AS FIRST TIME ANT KEEPERS!!!

Edited by MinigunL5, May 24 2020 - 5:41 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and jushi like this

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 24 2020 - 6:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

His FC account should be given negative 3.52 million reputation points, one for every subscriber.

Does/Did he use this forum? If so, whats his account?

AntsCanada

He used the forum for a little while to promote his stuff, but didn't like having to constantly deal with threads like these. I think we have one about what, once a week after his his weekly video is posted? Sure we all poke fun at some of his videos, but are these threads really necessary? I will say, he's got some good video production skills.

Actually, I'm not sure it's his main source of income. He's actually a singer-songwriter, part-time actor, comedian, entrepreneur, ant-keeper. and of course YouTuber. So he definitely has a lot of sources of income. The reason he moved from Canada to the Philippines in the first place is for his singing career. Obviously, in the end, he's just trying to grow his channel.

You'd be surprised.

• Zeiss, Barristan, TennesseeAnts and 5 others like this

#26 Online Zeiss - Posted May 24 2020 - 7:09 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Yeah, I don't understand the point of this thread.  I don't think it's necessary to make threads to just complain about a video you guys don't like.  That would be more something for chat, where it's temporary.

• Reacker, drtrmiller, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

#27 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 24 2020 - 7:37 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I just don't like him personally, so it's like a bunus when I dislike his content or a product he is selling.  

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#28 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 24 2020 - 7:56 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I just don't like him personally, so it's like a bunus when I dislike his content or a product he is selling.  

:/ Are his products good? I've never bought any.

#29 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 24 2020 - 8:10 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

:/ Are his products good? I've never bought any.

it depends on the product.   I don't really like the hybrid, but honestly there is nothing wrong iwth it, it's just not my cup of tea.  I own one that I bought just out of curiousity.   I do like his outworlds,and I'm curious about his ant tower.  I may buy one of those just to check it out and see if i like it.

• MinigunL5 and jushi like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#30 Offline Nanahira - Posted May 24 2020 - 8:39 PM

Nanahira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

In today's world, the more money the better  :)

Edited by 500miles, May 24 2020 - 8:39 PM.

• MinigunL5 likes this

The Ant Colony | The r/Ants discord server - https://discord.gg/c7qCmfYqYZ

#31 Offline Serafine - Posted May 25 2020 - 2:48 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THOSE AS FIRST TIME ANT KEEPERS!!!

Because new antkeepers of young age in particular are very easy to impress and obviously want the same ant their idol has and they see in his videos. It's the same reason people want the clothes some celebrity wore on some stupid press event.
Mikey does a decent job in recruiting new people into antkeeping.
He does a decent job of teaching them the basics of how to raise their first colony.
He does a meh job at teaching them the daily chores of antkeeping.
He does an AWFUL job of telling them which ants are good for beginners and which are not.

That's why I love 2can.tv so much - Brock's videos are very informative (not all of them but most are) and interesting but he never gets tired of telling people that (and why) toucans are absolutely awful pets which are also totally incompatible with most other pets and that most people will not be able to handle them, so you shouldn't try to keep them because they'll usually end up dead or in a pet shelter.

In today's world, the more money the better :)

It's not just money, it's Youtube as well. Their algorithm is an atrocity and it enforces all that crap with the "X does Y for the first time", "x vs y", the stupid thumbnail designs with the red arrows, the video length between 10 and 20 minutes, etc., the kind of language you can use (if it's getting to edgy/sweary you get demonetized), the kind of content you can produce (pretty much all history channels cannot monetize their videos anymore because they discuss weapons in one way or another) - if you don't do all of that crap the algorithm will just bury your video so nobody ever gets it as a suggestion or Youtube just denies your videos the ability to be monetized in the first place.

Content for kids got struck even worse because Youtube blissfully ignored COPPA child data protection laws for the last 20 years and obviously instead of actually fixing the problem they caused by themselves the Google execs decided to just slaughter their creators as Youtube always does - kid content on Youtube now can't have comments, can't show up in suggestions, isn't eligible for most advertisers and at this point is basically dead (which might be another reason AC is trying to get away from the overly "kid-friendly" dramahype style, if his channel got classified as kid content it would be pretty much the end).

The "good news" though is the algorithm may not be around in a few years because according to a new copyright study from the US government (they worked 5 years on it so it's not exactly new) Youtube's curation algorithm may actually violate the copyright safehaven laws aka be illegal in it's entirety (because it sometimes may suggest copyrighted materials). Imagine a Youtube that's no longer suggesting you videos but content creators instead and leaves the curation entirely to the creators themselves - I'm still not sure if that would be a good thing or if it would break Youtube for good.

Edited by Serafine, May 25 2020 - 2:54 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Temperateants, OhNoNotAgain and 1 other like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#32 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 25 2020 - 3:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
These threads serve no useful purpose anymore. Let’s let go of the envy, guys, and do some maturing. Believe me, Mikey Bustos won’t be the last person you disagree with, and he certainly won’t be the worst.
  • Canadant, AntsMaryland, TheRealAntMan and 4 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#33 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 25 2020 - 4:23 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

These threads serve no useful purpose anymore. Let’s let go of the envy, guys, and do some maturing. Believe me, Mikey Bustos won’t be the last person you disagree with, and he certainly won’t be the worst.

Not envy, while for me at least. 50% critiquing and 50% complaining why impressionable antkeepers want RIFA or don't learn the basics of antkeeping very well.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#34 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 26 2020 - 6:27 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I mean I understand why you guys think he isn't a good true ant keeper or a good influence for keeping ants and I get it but the thing is, why do you guys care so much? I'm pretty sure he inspired you to start ant keeping and don't say Ants Australia inspired you to start cause Ants Australia started as a GAN farmer and then started a YouTube channel so it was Ants Canada's fault that he became a YouTuber. Even if he did do it for the money there is so little famous YouTubers out there that don't do it for the money. He even puts a lot of time and effort in his videos and that "click bait" could have been a mistake. I don't get all the hate he gets and i think he doesn't deserve the hate. He has to upload videos every week and always has to have good content. Imagine having to make content every week. I am a YouTuber myself and it isn't easy and sometimes even stressful. Also, why is it bad that he is doing it for the money? First of all he isn't actually doing it 100 percent for the money because if he was then he would have sponsors for his videos which he doesn't, and he wouldn't be doing nature fundraisers on his videos which he does. If you guys have any counters to my opinion I will be honored to counter that opinion you so have. Thank you for your time!

#35 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 26 2020 - 6:48 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I fully understand why you guys don't like him or his channel, but all these posts do is clog up the forum. If you need to vent, do it somewhere else, not in the forum. Try discord or whatever else you people use. This forum shouldn't just become a "HEY GUYS!" "Lets keep ourselves in a bubble of annoyance, where we just keep saying the same thing over and over!"

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, jushi and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#36 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 26 2020 - 6:52 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

His FC account should be given negative 3.52 million reputation points, one for every subscriber.

Does/Did he use this forum? If so, what's his account?

He did, and actually seemed to respond to some criticism a while ago, but not anymore.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#37 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 26 2020 - 7:01 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I mean I understand why you guys think he isn't a good true ant keeper or a good influence for keeping ants and I get it but the thing is, why do you guys care so much? I'm pretty sure he inspired you to start ant keeping and don't say Ants Australia inspired you to start cause Ants Australia started as a GAN farmer and then started a YouTube channel so it was Ants Canada's fault that he became a YouTuber. Even if he did do it for the money there is so little famous YouTubers out there that don't do it for the money. He even puts a lot of time and effort in his videos and that "click bait" could have been a mistake. I don't get all the hate he gets and i think he doesn't deserve the hate. He has to upload videos every week and always has to have good content. Imagine having to make content every week. I am a YouTuber myself and it isn't easy and sometimes even stressful. Also, why is it bad that he is doing it for the money? First of all he isn't actually doing it 100 percent for the money because if he was then he would have sponsors for his videos which he doesn't, and he wouldn't be doing nature fundraisers on his videos which he does. If you guys have any counters to my opinion I will be honored to counter that opinion you so have. Thank you for your time!

Does MrBeast do it for the money? He giveaway his own money and I think he just does it for fun. He wants money but its not 100% of the reasoning for it. 

#38 Offline jushi - Posted May 26 2020 - 7:01 AM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Whether you like it or not, he doesn't make these videos for you personally. AC makes these videos because that's what makes him money. Sorry if you feel let down because you didn't get the video you wanted.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#39 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 26 2020 - 7:02 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Whether you like it or not, he doesn't make these videos for you personally. AC makes these videos because that's what makes him money. Sorry if you feel let down because you didn't get the video you wanted.

Actually it doesn't make him that much compared to his other ventures.

Edit: Pls do not post again because you have the perfect number of posts.

Edited by MinigunL5, May 26 2020 - 7:02 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#40 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 26 2020 - 7:08 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

nah keep going till you hit 666

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users