• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Has the government confirmed Aliens?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 13 2020 - 6:54 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I'd like to quote Calvin and Hobbes here : "Sometimes I think the the best proof of extraterrestrial intelligence is that they haven't contacted us."

Awwww... Calvin and Hobbes.... yes, those comics were literally all I did my entire childhood.

• ANTdrew and TheMicroPlanet like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#42 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 7:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If they really do have the technology capable of traveling to distant planets with other life, why would they choose us, an unstable civilization constantly scrabbling over resources, threatening to annihilate each other, mindlessly following ideologies we were taught, thinking up mad conspiracy theories without evidence, and in general being pretty stupid? Not to say that Humans are stupid or Earth is stupid, Earth can be a wonderful place and humans can be a wonderful race. But when you look at it in the big picture, humans arent worth bothering with. Since its already been established here that alien life does exist and that they have the technology to visit other hospitable planets, they could very easily go visit some other planet with "better" residents.

Even in the Star Trek universe, Vulcans considered humans to be a violent, savage, unpredictable, and greedy race, up until a couple hundred years from now, when all humans became the docile pacifists that run the Federation. Can't really see that happening any time soon...........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#43 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 13 2020 - 8:20 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I think that if humans got hold of alien technology we would have the will to wipe them out, which is why they need to keep an eye on us so we don't escape our enclosure

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#44 Offline Serafine - Posted May 13 2020 - 9:23 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If hypothetically aliens showed up...

Scenario A:
The government military would shoot them down and starts experimenting on them sparking a huge war.

It wouldn't even be a fight. One thing H.G. Wells got right is that the aliens if they ever choose to fight would simply wipe the floor with us.
And even if we'd manage to deal enough damage to annoy them they could just decide to simply hang around in Orbit throwing rocks at us until we're back in the stone age and continue their business afterwards.

Scenario B:
They are insect like which is actually most likely thing for "aliens" to be. Seeing on earth that insects are pretty dominant, and specifically they'd probably actually be rather ant-like. So we'd likely end up getting farmed as food or just outright eaten.

Do you want to know more?

Scenario C which contradicts my opening statement but is actually the most likely:
No one will ever show up because the universe is too big for space travel, unlike how it shows in movies or games.

I might not even be too big for space travel, just for two civilizations to ever meet.

Scenario D, the scenario that sounds so dumb because how unrealistic it is lol:
Somehow humans predicted the future with their sci-fi movies and futuristic games, aliens come down exactly as people expect them to be in media, and they grant us spaceships and tons of technology and humans travel the stars with a bunch of aliens.

Scenario E, the aliens land, are utterly baffled by what they see and then take off to pursue the misfits who illegally dumped their trash on Earth 3 billion years ago.
A cleanup crew is sent to fix the mess before it spreads to nearby systems.

Edited by Serafine, May 13 2020 - 9:24 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#45 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 13 2020 - 9:56 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Is it wrong to break away from our natural genetics, or is it natural and even beneficial for us to do so?

I find questions like that to be of very little value.  Wrong is just an opinion, as is beneficial.  Vague and arbitrary.

Examples of better qeustions would be what would the impact of that be on our species?  What would the impact of that be on the new planet and it's biosphere?  Would those impacts be things we could/would want to deal with, or rather avoid?

Is it wrong to break away from our natural genetics, or is it natural and even beneficial for us to do so?

I find questions like that to be of very little value.  Wrong is just an opinion, as is beneficial.  Vague and arbitrary.

Examples of better qeustions would be what would the impact of that be on our species?  What would the impact of that be on the new planet and it's biosphere?  Would those impacts be things we could/would want to deal with, or rather avoid?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#46 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 10:05 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Double post.............

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#47 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 10:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Scenario 7- Aliens have compassion for this "savage child race" (sorry, another Star Trek quote), and try to help without provoking us.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#48 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 13 2020 - 11:13 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

If wrong is just an opinion, how can you be right about that? That's kind of far from the original topic, so I'll answer your questions instead.

I think the outcome could vary based on how compatible the new genes were. I think such a project would end up like the internet: kinda good, kinda not.

• AntsDakota likes this

#49 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 13 2020 - 11:15 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Scenario 7- Aliens have compassion for this "savage child race" (sorry, another Star Trek quote), and try to help without provoking us.

Scenario 8 - They come to earth just to return Voyager 1 because they thought we lost it  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#50 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 12:45 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Scenario 8 - They come to earth just to return Voyager 1 because they thought we lost it  :lol:

Scenario 9- They've been here all along, watching our every move without us even knowing it...................

Scenario 10- They find us cute, and decide to open a new pet trade............. (Who knows? We might just be living in one big humanarium......)

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#51 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 13 2020 - 12:52 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

SO no the government didn't confirm aliens, but life on other planets has been confirmed, aka bacteria fossilized on mars, yes so we already know life WAS on other planets so people that deny it are stupid, second if they did exist they would be viewing us and try to not interfere, because if they are smart as heck they would know not to interfere with a developing society, especially how much we f'd up this planet already, they could have deemed us a lost cause and ditched the thought of even contact

#52 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 13 2020 - 12:58 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Scenario 9- They've been here all along, watching our every move without us even knowing it...................

Scenario 10- They find us cute, and decide to open a new pet trade............. (Who knows? We might just be living in one big humanarium......)

Scenario 10B - They catch pairs, put them in test tubes, and wait for them to grow a colony.

#53 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 1:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Scenario 10 C- Humans begin to spread to neighboring systems and destroy their ecosystems. The Milky Way Trade Organization (MWTO) bans interplanetary transport of humans, much to the dismay of human keepers.  :lol:

Edited by AntsDakota, May 13 2020 - 1:09 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#54 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 2:47 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

this is the best thread i have ever read! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#55 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 2:47 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

this is the best thread i have ever read! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This even rhymes......

#56 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 13 2020 - 3:42 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Scenario 10 C- Humans begin to spread to neighboring systems and destroy their ecosystems. The Milky Way Trade Organization (MWTO) bans interplanetary transport of humans, much to the dismay of human keepers.  :lol:

And people get caught on human keeping forums for illegally keeping exotic humans when asking for more fungus for their colony...

• AntsDakota likes this

#57 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 4:46 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

And people get caught on human keeping forums for illegally keeping exotic humans when asking for more fungus for their colony...
Not fungus. Humans are unique because they grow a variety of grains. Normally, other types of grains are considered weeds, but humans have certain types that are nutritious to them. However, all grain is still illegal, though, due to its destructive nature.

#58 Offline Serafine - Posted May 13 2020 - 4:50 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I find questions like that to be of very little value. Wrong is just an opinion, as is beneficial. Vague and arbitrary.

Edited by Serafine, May 13 2020 - 4:52 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#59 Offline jushi - Posted May 15 2020 - 2:11 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

I feel like aliens exist, just we are so insignificant in this vast universe, there's no saying they would find us. Personally, I'm fine with there not being any discovered intelligent life. Who knows what they would be like?

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users