• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Has the government confirmed Aliens?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Barristan - Posted May 12 2020 - 12:06 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany
But first, we need to nuke away any natives there or maybe use them as cheap labor force, whatever is more convenient for us I guess  (y)
  • Temperateants likes this

#22 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:07 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Or if a planet has different conditions, such as climate and gravity (within habitability) we can genetically engineer humans to be able to live and breed on those planets.

Well, that'd raise the same ethics questions that come with designer babies. Is it wrong to break away from our natural genetics, or is it natural and even beneficial for us to do so?

I always thought of this as your not making someone better per se, just more adaptable to a different planet. There currently no way for humans to survive for a long time in different gravity conditions, as you can see that in low gravity, human bones and muscle atrophy, blindness, while higher gravity can cause bone damage and other damages.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#23 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:09 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

But first, we need to nuke away any natives there or maybe use them as cheap labor force, whatever is more convenient for us I guess  (y)

Natives will fight back, and if they aren't advanced, then they have no technological value. Nuking will destroy the planet. If we are going with the stereotypical hollywood route of seeking a resource, then we can use settlers and robots. 

#24 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:13 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Or if a planet has different conditions, such as climate and gravity (within habitability) we can genetically engineer humans to be able to live and breed on those planets.

Well, that'd raise the same ethics questions that come with designer babies. Is it wrong to break away from our natural genetics, or is it natural and even beneficial for us to do so?

I always thought of this as your not making someone better per se, just more adaptable to a different planet. There currently no way for humans to survive for a long time in different gravity conditions, as you can see that in low gravity, human bones and muscle atrophy, blindness, while higher gravity can cause bone damage and other damages.

Kind of interesting how we're almost at a point where we can make ourselves evolve. Of course, I don't want to jump to conclusions...

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If we send in RIFA, house sparrows, kudzu, English ivy, rats, cats, and feral pigs, that will clear out any native life.
  • FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I think it would be a better idea to assimilate the natives into our society. Who knows- they actually may prove very beneficial. Not exactly Star Trek's 'Federation of Planet's, per say, but still. 

• TheMicroPlanet and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#27 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:16 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

We should also learn from our past mistakes. European settlers in North America tried to wipe out natives. Look where that got them.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#28 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:17 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Maybe we could bring back our good friend... smallpox.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, May 12 2020 - 1:17 PM.

#29 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:18 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Or maybe it'd be a whole different situation. I mean, ducks are immune to the flu. What if we get diseases from them? We'd likely be dealing with a whole new biological playground.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, May 12 2020 - 1:19 PM.

#30 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:26 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

May 12th, 2220:

BREAKING NEWS:

Alien spacecraft spotted in Nalan'ia's amosphere

Da8iTFU.jpg

Edited by AntsDakota, May 12 2020 - 1:27 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Temperateants, TheMicroPlanet and 2 others like this

#31 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 12 2020 - 1:29 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

LOL :D

Edited by Antkid12, May 12 2020 - 1:30 PM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#32 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 12 2020 - 3:10 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I think it would be a better idea to assimilate the natives into our society. Who knows- they actually may prove very beneficial. Not exactly Star Trek's 'Federation of Planet's, per say, but still. 

Or even better yet, Leave them the "F" alone.

#33 Offline Serafine - Posted May 12 2020 - 3:27 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Or maybe it'd be a whole different situation. I mean, ducks are immune to the flu. What if we get diseases from them? We'd likely be dealing with a whole new biological playground.

Uh, bird flu anyone? There's actually studies indicating 1918's "spanish flu" developed in ducks or geese.

If we send in RIFA, house sparrows, kudzu, English ivy, rats, cats, and feral pigs, that will clear out any native life.

The reason european species in particular are so successful is actually not because they're so competitive on their own, it's mostly because:

- Europeans razed the existing biomes wherever they arrived (this can be seen in places like Hawaii where 95% of all invasive species only live within the human sphere of influence, out of the 30+ invasive ant species Argentines are the only ant that managed to establish a foothold in the leftover untouched forests parts).

- The settlers then didn't import just a few species they considered useful, they essentially tried to import a massive chunk of the european biome including all sorts of plants, herbivores and predators (google acclimatization societies, you'll find some amazing stuff)

- The european biome had a fairly long time to evolve, it's organisms are well-adapted to each other with a lot of co-dependencies and co-benefits, they work as a very effective team to take over foreign places

- The transportation of plants and animals to a new place was a brutal selection process and often 90% of the shipped animals died before arrival, leaving only the strongest to populate the new place

- The settlers tried over and over again until they succeeded. Rabbits were introduced to Australia in 1788 but remained fairly irrelevant for almost 70 years as they where house rabbits and never managed to survive far away from human settlements, only 70 years later when 24 wild rabbits were set free and mixed with the already adapted house rabbit breeds this changed, the rabbit population exploded and within a centuries the entire continent got overrun by those voracious fluffy meatpacks.

• gcsnelling likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#34 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 12 2020 - 4:15 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Uh, bird flu anyone? There's actually studies indicating 1918's "spanish flu" developed in ducks or geese.

I meant that ducks (and other waterfowl) are carriers of the flu; it doesn't affect them.

#35 Offline Serafine - Posted May 12 2020 - 5:24 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I meant that ducks (and other waterfowl) are carriers of the flu; it doesn't affect them.

Um, no.
A common way bird flu (H5N1) got tracked when it spread across Europe in the late 90s was by testing dead birds that basically fell from the sky.

Obviously only a fraction of the birds that contracted H5N1 died (like not all humans die from Influenza) but many still got ill and some died.

Migrating birds in particular suffered from the disease as the migration itself already put a massive strain on their bodies.

Edited by Serafine, May 12 2020 - 5:50 PM.

• gcsnelling likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#36 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:26 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If hypothetically aliens showed up...

Scenario A:

The government military would shoot them down and starts experimenting on them sparking a huge war.

A2: But then there are also dumb people who'd hold up signs like on the original Independence Day movie with "TAKE ME WITH YOU WE COME IN PEACE" and then they get zapped to death as everyone laughs at them but run away screaming at the same time

Scenario B:
They are insect like which is actually most likely thing for "aliens" to be. Seeing on earth that insects are pretty dominant, and specifically they'd probably actually be rather ant-like. So we'd likely end up getting farmed as food or just outright eaten.

Scenario C which contradicts my opening statement but is actually the most likely:

No one will ever show up because the universe is too big for space travel, unlike how it shows in movies or games.

Scenario D, the scenario that sounds so dumb because how unrealistic it is lol:

Somehow humans predicted the future with their sci-fi movies and futuristic games, aliens come down exactly as people expect them to be in media, and they grant us spaceships and tons of technology and humans travel the stars with a bunch of aliens.

It is super unlikely, but possible they've shown up already though, there are some rather suspicious ancient cave drawings of things that look like spaceships. Or the drawings are a super good fake. And some of the older religious texts talk about a "big void", and how some ancient people knew about a "big void" (the universe really is what I took it as) is a bit suspicious. 

https://www.history....paintings-video

Is the supposed UFO cave paintings. And there is no ancient people that are gonna imagine up spaceships when nothing even remotely existed like that back then. Unless its a really good fake and the drawings are newer. Or maybe history channel did a troll video(s) about it to get those views, though there looks to be other similar recommended ones on that link.

Edited by Vendayn, May 12 2020 - 7:41 PM.

• Temperateants likes this

#37 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 13 2020 - 3:26 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

If hypothetically aliens showed up...

Scenario A:

The government military would shoot them down and starts experimenting on them sparking a huge war.

A2: But then there are also dumb people who'd hold up signs like on the original Independence Day movie with "TAKE ME WITH YOU WE COME IN PEACE" and then they get zapped to death as everyone laughs at them but run away screaming at the same time

Scenario B:
They are insect like which is actually most likely thing for "aliens" to be. Seeing on earth that insects are pretty dominant, and specifically they'd probably actually be rather ant-like. So we'd likely end up getting farmed as food or just outright eaten.

Scenario C which contradicts my opening statement but is actually the most likely:

No one will ever show up because the universe is too big for space travel, unlike how it shows in movies or games.

Scenario D, the scenario that sounds so dumb because how unrealistic it is lol:

Somehow humans predicted the future with their sci-fi movies and futuristic games, aliens come down exactly as people expect them to be in media, and they grant us spaceships and tons of technology and humans travel the stars with a bunch of aliens.

It is super unlikely, but possible they've shown up already though, there are some rather suspicious ancient cave drawings of things that look like spaceships. Or the drawings are a super good fake. And some of the older religious texts talk about a "big void", and how some ancient people knew about a "big void" (the universe really is what I took it as) is a bit suspicious. 

https://www.history....paintings-video

Is the supposed UFO cave paintings. And there is no ancient people that are gonna imagine up spaceships when nothing even remotely existed like that back then. Unless its a really good fake and the drawings are newer. Or maybe history channel did a troll video(s) about it to get those views, though there looks to be other similar recommended ones on that link.

Space travel is too large, what if robots contact us instead? Robots that have been in space for thousands of years that outlast the civilization that made them. Or probes that hide near earth to monitor our technology until we are deemed a threat. Or a rouge AI that has a purpose (such as building cars) and has turned their whole planet into cars and is seeking new planets to manufacture on.

#38 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 13 2020 - 4:17 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Um, no.
A common way bird flu (H5N1) got tracked when it spread across Europe in the late 90s was by testing dead birds that basically fell from the sky.

Obviously only a fraction of the birds that contracted H5N1 died (like not all humans die from Influenza) but many still got ill and some died.

Migrating birds in particular suffered from the disease as the migration itself already put a massive strain on their bodies.

Probably was some other virus, than... i'll try to find the book I discovered it in.

Yeah, there seems to be a contradiction. I'll do my own research. But my original point was that aliens might harbor immunities of their own, probably by chance in the absence of prior contact.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, May 13 2020 - 4:24 AM.

#39 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 13 2020 - 6:44 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'd like to quote Calvin and Hobbes here : "Sometimes I think the the best proof of extraterrestrial intelligence is that they haven't contacted us."

• gcsnelling and FeedTheAnts like this

#40 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 13 2020 - 6:48 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If they really do have the technology capable of traveling to distant planets with other life, why would they choose us, an unstable civilization constantly scrabbling over resources, threatening to annihilate each other, mindlessly following ideologies we were taught, thinking up mad conspiracy theories without evidence, and in general being pretty stupid? Not to say that Humans are stupid or Earth is stupid, Earth can be a wonderful place and humans can be a wonderful race. But when you look at it in the big picture, humans arent worth bothering with. Since its already been established here that alien life does exist and that they have the technology to visit other hospitable planets, they could very easily go visit some other planet with "better" residents.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users